The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So if AVC wants to send out acceptance and rejection letters, now would be a good time. Impatiently waiting/pulling my hair out :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

You and me both Ky! It's so frustrating to find an empty mailbox everyday!

Members don't see this ad :)
Letters were only mailed yesterday!

I heard this, too. As soon as I got home from work last night I looked up the mailing time from Charlottetown to Halifax...3 days :( So likely no letter until Monday. Canada Post better pull off a miracle and deliver by Friday or I will likely lose my mind. I feel sorry for my boyfriend and coworkers who have to be around me while I transform into a complete basketcase.

I heard this, too. As soon as I got home from work last night I looked up the mailing time from Charlottetown to Halifax...3 days :( So likely no letter until Monday. Canada Post better pull off a miracle and deliver by Friday or I will likely lose my mind. I feel sorry for my boyfriend and coworkers who have to be around me while I transform into a complete basketcase.

Yay for not having to wait anymore!!! :D

but the end is in sight!!!! :xf::xf::xf: :luck::luck::luck:

AH!!!! I miss so much being in a different time zone!!! YYAAHOOO!!!

She really only posted it on the AVC thread, so I feel like being her glitter and spreading the news for her ;)

She really only posted it on the AVC thread, so I feel like being her glitter and spreading the news for her ;)

Thanks Emiloo! I found out 20 minutes before I had to be at work so I only had time to post to the AVC thread. I'm so happy and excited!!! :zip:

Thanks Emiloo! I found out 20 minutes before I had to be at work so I only had time to post to the AVC thread. I'm so happy and excited!!! :zip:

So excited for you! Enjoy your awesome day and celebrate! :hardy:

I love that video every time I see it. Probably won't though when it's my turn..

Members don't see this ad :)
I found this old video, and thought I should share it with a new generation of applicants...

[YOUTUBE]xpacA-yMCLs[/YOUTUBE]

Showed this video to my boyfriend before my interview at UC Davis and he already thinks I'm officially nuts for joining the ranks of these characters. I'm downright ecstatic!

Showed this video to my boyfriend before my interview at UC Davis and he already thinks I'm officially nuts for joining the ranks of these characters. I'm downright ecstatic!

I love that video every time I see it. Probably won't though when it's my turn..
I was hoping to present it to the v2017ers. Where are they all?
Must be busy writing PS.

I actually started real progress on my app today

tumblr_lmka1dEGLv1qii6tmo1_400.gif

I actually started real progress on my app today

tumblr_lmka1dEGLv1qii6tmo1_400.gif

Yayayy!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Same here too! Got most of my experiences at least listed, just have to come up with descriptions for them. And got all my classwork in on my extra day off last week. Going to be signing up for GRE when I get off my bed to get my wallet.
Spent most of yesterday coming up with a possible outline of my PS and got an academic reference lined up earlier in the week.

I'm definitely starting to feel better that I decided to go ahead and apply this year.

It's been 10 days since I submitted my app to SGU and none of the materials show received. The only one that the school confirmed when I called thursday was the $50 fee.

Aargh. They said they'd call me the week after everything was sent. They didn't and now I feel lost in the shuffle. And I don't want to pester too much.

It's been 10 days since I submitted my app to SGU and none of the materials show received. The only one that the school confirmed when I called thursday was the $50 fee.

Aargh. They said they'd call me the week after everything was sent. They didn't and now I feel lost in the shuffle. And I don't want to pester too much.

Its okay to pester, I think everyone is very understanding. If you are concerned, give them a call.

I must have called VMR 10 times the day they told us we'd hear back after interviews.

Pestering is ok. ;)

Pester!!! They know how important it is. And it's important to you! They'll see that when you call and understand!

When I called last week (only once) the lady I got was in general admissions (no one answered in vet advising/admissions) and she pretty much told me she could confirm my fee was in but everything else was ?? and they'd call me in a couple weeks and thats all buh bye.

She made me feel like I was pestering her. Thus my hesitance. And Krista never answered my e-mail. I feel like i've slipped thru a crack.

+pity+ Warning!

About a year or two ago, I was diagnosed with a severe case of sacroilliac joint dysfunction. Without trying to be dramatic, I am literally in pain every second of my life. I don't even know what it means to not be in pain. This is on top of my scoliosis, and my Forest Gump feet that have been operated on 8 times. Today I was told that I also have hypermobility syndrome and osteoarthritis. I'm fecking 26 years old. I really am not trying to throw myself a pity party, but it's really starting to get to me mentally. Being in pain everyday takes a toll on your sanity. When I lie in bed at night I have to constantly move my feet or they just ache like crazy. I can't sit still and people probably think I have hemorroides. Basically all of my tendons and ligaments are so loose, that my joints constantly hurt, not matter what I'm doing.

It is starting to worry me as I think about spending 1/4 millions dollars on an education for a rather physical profession. I am not questioning my mental endurance to handle the pain, but I am more so worried about my longevity in the veterinary field. I have pushed through pain my whole life and have not let it prevent me from things, and becoming a veterinarian is no different. But osteoarthritis is not something I have much control over.

I guess this profession is actually a perfect place since there are so many opportunities. Once I am crippled (been told wheelchair by 40... screw them, what do they know :mad:), I can transition to another field. I just want some reassurance that I am not wasting my money on something I may not be able to do for as long as other people. :confused: I am also worried about sitting in a lecture hall for 8 hours in vet school. Not only am I gonna be in decently severe pain, but I am most likely going to annoy the SHIZ out of everyone around me bc I can't stop wiggling :laugh:

+pity+ Warning!

About a year or two ago, I was diagnosed with a severe case of sacroilliac joint dysfunction. Without trying to be dramatic, I am literally in pain every second of my life. I don't even know what it means to not be in pain. This is on top of my scoliosis, and my Forest Gump feet that have been operated on 8 times. Today I was told that I also have hypermobility syndrome and osteoarthritis. I'm fecking 26 years old. I really am not trying to throw myself a pity party, but it's really starting to get to me mentally. Being in pain everyday takes a toll on your sanity. When I lie in bed at night I have to constantly move my feet or they just ache like crazy. I can't sit still and people probably think I have hemorroides. Basically all of my tendons and ligaments are so loose, that my joints constantly hurt, not matter what I'm doing.

It is starting to worry me as I think about spending 1/4 millions dollars on an education for a rather physical profession. I am not questioning my mental endurance to handle the pain, but I am more so worried about my longevity in the veterinary field. I have pushed through pain my whole life and have not let it prevent me from things, and becoming a veterinarian is no different. But osteoarthritis is not something I have much control over.

I guess this profession is actually a perfect place since there are so many opportunities. Once I am crippled (been told wheelchair by 40... screw them, what do they know :mad:), I can transition to another field. I just want some reassurance that I am not wasting my money on something I may not be able to do for as long as other people. :confused: I am also worried about sitting in a lecture hall for 8 hours in vet school. Not only am I gonna be in decently severe pain, but I am most likely going to annoy the SHIZ out of everyone around me bc I can't stop wiggling :laugh:
I'm so sorry to hear about the additional diagnoses. *hugs*

I dunno what else to say, but my first thought was "Oh if you're in a wheelchair they can totally make a compatible surgery suite." :laugh:

Oh Em I had no idea. You are amazingly brave.

In my very humble, and outside and therefore limited, opinion you are doing the right thing. If this is what you want and what you have passion for you don't want to look back and regret not pursuing it. You are smart and resilient so no matter what I know you will find a way to make it work.

If you find the right team when you get out, they will help MAKE it work also. All my love to you Em. You can do this.

Nothing to add but hugs and support, but you deserve those in SPADES, Emiloo.
:biglove::biglove::biglove:

Awww Emiloo. I didn't know it was that bad. But doctors don't know everything. They wanted to stick me in special ed when I was little but my mom fought it. Now it's kind of laughable to think that was almost my fate.

There's a student that was accepted to med school who was partially blind and had to use a stick to get around. He's goin to be a doctor and can hardly see! There are so many things you can do with vet med! I have faith :)

Thanks y'all. I really appreciate your support. I guess I just needed to hear that I'm not crazy for taking this on. It's what I want. And maybe they can make me that wheel chair surgery suite ;) but I'm gonna fight to not end up in one. Already defied some odds they gave me at the 25 year mark, so I think I can do it again :D.

Thanks y'all. I really appreciate your support. I guess I just needed to hear that I'm not crazy for taking this on. It's what I want. And maybe they can make me that wheel chair surgery suite ;) but I'm gonna fight to not end up in one. Already defied some odds they gave me at the 25 year mark, so I think I can do it again :D.

Yes you can. I have absolutely no doubts.

Awww Emiloo. I didn't know it was that bad. But doctors don't know everything. They wanted to stick me in special ed when I was little but my mom fought it. Now it's kind of laughable to think that was almost my fate.

Well that explains a lot :rolleyes: ;)

Well that explains a lot :rolleyes: ;)

Hey now! :mad:

Believe it or not, I had trouble talking and connecting thoughts to words. I still feel like i have a speech impediment but everyone says i dont. Now I'm making up for lost time. :D

Believe it or not, I had trouble talking and connecting thoughts to words. I still feel like i have a speech impediment but everyone says i dont. Now I'm making up for lost time. :D

:laugh: ever heard of overcompensating? ;)
Just kidding :love:

You sound like my dad. He has an IQ of 145 but they tested him when he was younger because they thought he was mentally impaired. He's just so smart he's really weird :laugh:

Lol. I was considered the most outgoing of my friends. Yet I was sooooo introverted and shy when I was young. We shall see what I really am after I get results from that personality test for Davis! :smuggrin:

The point is, is that no one is God, an no one can tell you what's going to happen to you. Best to live in the moment (within certain constraints) that you won't look back and say "I wish I did this".

:( :( :( :(

... so i am retaking biochemistry over the summer right now to improve my grade from a C --> hopefully an A... I have totally just sunk myself. On the first quiz i did great... on the test, I changed my answer from the correct one to the wrong one for 10% of the test!!! giving me a C+ instead of a B+ .... Then on the quiz I panicked! ... I messed up 2 questions I absolutely knew how to do (costing me another 2% off of my final grade). I just wanted to breakdown in class after seeing that.

Does anyone have some rallying advice, inspirational words? I really need a pick me up, and this place is the best place to go. (Sorry I havent been on recently... I have been working so hard to completely turn around my application for the better for this year so that no category is the same as last year)

:( :( :( :(

... so i am retaking biochemistry over the summer right now to improve my grade from a C --> hopefully an A... I have totally just sunk myself. On the first quiz i did great... on the test, I changed my answer from the correct one to the wrong one for 10% of the test!!! giving me a C+ instead of a B+ .... Then on the quiz I panicked! ... I messed up 2 questions I absolutely knew how to do (costing me another 2% off of my final grade). I just wanted to breakdown in class after seeing that.

Does anyone have some rallying advice, inspirational words? I really need a pick me up, and this place is the best place to go. (Sorry I havent been on recently... I have been working so hard to completely turn around my application for the better for this year so that no category is the same as last year)
It really sounds like you know the material. The best I could say is try to remind yourself of that and take a few deep breaths when you do it.

When you get to exams/quizzes, do the same thing... pause before you start, very calmly remind yourself that you do actually know the material and then dive in.

Your knowledge is fine. You are just doubting, like we all do from time to time.

Sounds like the class is not done yet, so keep on plugging away. And if biochemistry isn't your thing, it will not be the single class that sinks your dreams. There are many ways to make up for it.

Good luck.

It really sounds like you know the material. The best I could say is try to remind yourself of that and take a few deep breaths when you do it.

When you get to exams/quizzes, do the same thing... pause before you start, very calmly remind yourself that you do actually know the material and then dive in.

Your knowledge is fine. You are just doubting, like we all do from time to time.

Sounds like the class is not done yet, so keep on plugging away. And if biochemistry isn't your thing, it will not be the single class that sinks your dreams. There are many ways to make up for it.

Good luck.

Awesome advice. I agree!

Good luck.

:thumbup: A C in biochem is not the worst thing.

Thank you Abney (good pic :)), StartingoverVet, Emiloo4, bbeventer!!!

Im trying to rally, 2 more tests (25% each) and a quiz for 7%. I need a 96% average to get an A... a hefty challenge, but still possible. I guess I will cut back on the volunteering for a bit and focus more so I dont doubt myself as much. If I can do it, I can apply w a 3.41 (an improvement of .11 since last years apps, of course I took other additional coursework and did well too).

ITS TIME 2 GET SERIOUS :smuggrin: ... lol :oops:

Thanks PetPony, equineconstant, TigerWillow :love::love::love:

I am a sad panda.

Another applicant to SGU with a higher GPA than me, and thousands of hours of experience just got rejected.

I don't know what I'll do if I get rejected from SGU as well. I hope they'll give me a shot at the foundations program at least.