This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey y'all! I am reporting research experience in my experiences section, but I'm not sure whether it should be counted as one experience or two. The first year I was working on a plant pathology project, but this academic year I'm working on a biomedical type project with mice in the same lab. It's kind of just getting started. I feel like on one hand it should be one experience because it's in the same lab/with the same professor, but the two projects are going to end up being pretty different. Let me know what y'all think!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's perfectly fine to ask for a joint letter. I don't think you need two vet letters in admissions.
Hey- I saw that Mizzou doesn't allow "committee" or "composite" letters. Is it still okay for those two married DVMs to submit a joint letter? I'm not sure exactly what a committee or composite letter entails.

Hey- I saw that Mizzou doesn't allow "committee" or "composite" letters. Is it still okay for those two married DVMs to submit a joint letter? I'm not sure exactly what a committee or composite letter entails.
Committee letters are usually issued from the prehealth advising office, so you should be good. Just ask to be sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Committee letters are usually issued from the prehealth advising office, so you should be good. Just ask to be sure.
Good deal!! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly

Reactions: 1 user
So i have 1 outstanding LOR, it would be my 4th one (which is just an extra). Is it bad to leave it on there even if it doesn't end up getting submitted? Or should I delete it? It was from a professor that i have had the past few years and he agreed to it, but then hasn't responded to my last few emails. I know back to school season is underway and busy but wasn't sure what to do about it

I'm hopefully submitting today or tomorrow, but I'm deciding last min on writing an explanation statement. I have one W in genetics during COVID. Dropped because hybrid was still getting the kinks out, and it wasn't working for me at the time. I retook Animal Genetics and got a good grade, and I am taking biology genetics right now. I graduated in 2022 and have been working full time since a month after graduating, but this is my first time applying. I also retook Gen Chem II, Orgo I, and Biochem during this time. I had Cs in those and now I have As. I'm not sure if I should draw more attention to it or write one to explain that I needed to learn how to study and succeeded in these classes. Any advice?

I'm hopefully submitting today or tomorrow, but I'm deciding last min on writing an explanation statement. I have one W in genetics during COVID. Dropped because hybrid was still getting the kinks out, and it wasn't working for me at the time. I retook Animal Genetics and got a good grade, and I am taking biology genetics right now. I graduated in 2022 and have been working full time since a month after graduating, but this is my first time applying. I also retook Gen Chem II, Orgo I, and Biochem during this time. I had Cs in those and now I have As. I'm not sure if I should draw more attention to it or write one to explain that I needed to learn how to study and succeeded in these classes. Any advice?

I don't think any of this requires an explanation statement. A single withdrawal isn't notable and your retakes speak for themselves.

Reactions: 5 users
My app was just verified and looking at the PDF version, VMCAS seems to have randomly switched one of my post-bacc course prefixes to a totally different course prefix from 2018 (also on my transcript and correct, so it's duplicate.) I know this isn't a mistake I would have made myself. The grade, course title, and course subject categorization are still accurate and unique to the real course. Do y'all think this is worth contacting them to fix? I'm worried about putting the verification status in limbo again.

Edit: I reached out and they replied right away and said they'd fix it! I feel kind of silly for getting anxious over it but oh well.

Last edited:
Hi there! I just got an email from CSU saying the following:
The following are requirements in order for your application to move forward and be reviewed by the admissions committee. These must be submitted & complete before September 18, 2023 @ 11:59pm ET.

• Colorado Supplemental Application + Fee
  • VMCAS Application + Fee
  • Three VMCAS LORs
  • All transcripts are recommended to be submitted to VMCAS by September 1, 2023 so that the verification process may begin
  • Your VMCAS Application Status must be “verified” for the 2024 cycle
Do they mean that my application must be verified before Sep 18 or is that just for the general submission deadline? I was a little worried by that phrase. I know I should have already finished everything and submitted it but I didn't...... I'm still working on my essays and I don't know by the time I will submit it if it will leave me enough time to be verified before the Sep 18 deadline. Thank you for answering my questions!

Hey y'all! I am reporting research experience in my experiences section, but I'm not sure whether it should be counted as one experience or two. The first year I was working on a plant pathology project, but this academic year I'm working on a biomedical type project with mice in the same lab. It's kind of just getting started. I feel like on one hand it should be one experience because it's in the same lab/with the same professor, but the two projects are going to end up being pretty different. Let me know what y'all think!!!
Two separate experiences. Two different research projects.
Why is it bad to switch between the two formats?
Because it's not professional writing etiquette

Hi there! I just got an email from CSU saying the following:
The following are requirements in order for your application to move forward and be reviewed by the admissions committee. These must be submitted & complete before September 18, 2023 @ 11:59pm ET.

• Colorado Supplemental Application + Fee
  • VMCAS Application + Fee
  • Three VMCAS LORs
  • All transcripts are recommended to be submitted to VMCAS by September 1, 2023 so that the verification process may begin
  • Your VMCAS Application Status must be “verified” for the 2024 cycle
Do they mean that my application must be verified before Sep 18 or is that just for the general submission deadline? I was a little worried by that phrase. I know I should have already finished everything and submitted it but I didn't...... I'm still working on my essays and I don't know by the time I will submit it if it will leave me enough time to be verified before the Sep 18 deadline. Thank you for answering my questions!
They mean the application just needs to be submitted on time.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering, I have a few questions about the Colorado state vet school supplemental application would I be able to direct message you to ask the questions?

I was wondering, I have a few questions about the Colorado state vet school supplemental application would I be able to direct message you to ask the questions?
Who are you asking?

Some of the supplemental essay questions give you 3000 characters, but the questions seem relatively straightforward. Is it frowned upon to not be close to 3000 characters? I feel like my answers are organized and well thought-out, but I don't have a whole lot more to say without adding a ton of fluff.

Is it okay to reuse your personal statement? I have the one from last years cycle and it still very much applies. I’ve made a few adjustments but for the most part I’d like to keep it the same.

Some of the supplemental essay questions give you 3000 characters, but the questions seem relatively straightforward. Is it frowned upon to not be close to 3000 characters? I feel like my answers are organized and well thought-out, but I don't have a whole lot more to say without adding a ton of fluff.
Answer the question in whatever way feels best. Don't fluff if doing so will take away from your answer.
Is it okay to reuse your personal statement? I have the one from last years cycle and it still very much applies. I’ve made a few adjustments but for the most part I’d like to keep it the same.
This is a grey area and no one probably truly knows except for admissions folks. But I would say that if you did file reviews and your personal statement wasn't brought up as a negative point, then review it. It y

Anyone know any specific info on Purdue’s admission process? Is it considered a holistic school or more GPA focused? I’m considering applying there:)

Anyone know any specific info on Purdue’s admission process? Is it considered a holistic school or more GPA focused? I’m considering applying there:)
Extremely GPA & academics-focused! I was immediately rejected multiple cycles in a row from there, but if you have a strong GPA in all areas it's one of the cheaper options for OOS students, worth applying if your grades are strong! Also bear in mind that their minimum GPA is higher than most at 3.10!

Extremely GPA & academics-focused! I was immediately rejected multiple cycles in a row from there, but if you have a strong GPA in all areas it's one of the cheaper options for OOS students, worth applying if your grades are strong! Also bear in mind that their minimum GPA is higher than most at 3.10!
Thank you!!!

Is there additional documentation that is required for AP courses? My courses are listed on my university's transcript as the credits I was awarded, like for example when I took the AP World History test it shows up on my transcript as World History before 1500. Is that sufficient? It doesn't explicitly say AP and there's no score. Or is there something else I need to be submitting too?

Is there additional documentation that is required for AP courses? My courses are listed on my university's transcript as the credits I was awarded, like for example when I took the AP World History test it shows up on my transcript as World History before 1500. Is that sufficient? It doesn't explicitly say AP and there's no score. Or is there something else I need to be submitting too?
I don't think so, I was in the same situation and was still verified

I’m getting ready to submit my applications and was reading through the PDFs for each one. I have 4 recommenders that I asked to write me a letter but only 3 turned it in. I’m not too worried about the 4th and I’ve emailed him recently without hearing anything back. However, on the PDF version it still lists his name and contacts and marks that he didn’t submit it. Does this look bad to schools and should I remove him or keep him on in case he does end up submitting?
*he wasn’t a required letter, just an extra professor

I just submitted my application! Where do I go to see the calculated vmcas GPAs?

I’m getting ready to submit my applications and was reading through the PDFs for each one. I have 4 recommenders that I asked to write me a letter but only 3 turned it in. I’m not too worried about the 4th and I’ve emailed him recently without hearing anything back. However, on the PDF version it still lists his name and contacts and marks that he didn’t submit it. Does this look bad to schools and should I remove him or keep him on in case he does end up submitting?
You're fine

It doesn’t hurt to keep him on! If I were in your position I would just submit my app and keep the professor. If you decide to remove him, vet schools understand things happen so it won’t reflect poorly on you. Also another thing to note, if you decide to remove him, that professor will get an email that you rescinded your ask for a letter of recommendation and he will no longer be able to submit. You have 3 recommenders so if he never ends up submitting, so you are fine.

My application was just verified, and my GPAs are a little lower than I expected. I didn't actually go through and calculate them, but I don't think that they are wrong on VMCAS either. I'm applying to Mississippi State (IS) and Mizzou. (OOS) Will a 3.54 overall and 3.38 science GPA be acceptable for those schools or do I not have a chance anymore? Just looking at GPA without considering experiences etc.

Mississippi state says they do grade replacement for pre reqs. So that gives me a 3.57 overall and a 3.42 science.

Last edited:
My application was just verified, and my GPAs are a little lower than I expected. I didn't actually go through and calculate them, but I don't think that they are wrong on VMCAS either. I'm applying to Mississippi State (IS) and Mizzou. (OOS) Will a 3.54 overall and 3.38 science GPA be acceptable for those schools or do I not have a chance anymore? Just looking at GPA without considering experiences etc.

Mississippi state says they do grade replacement for pre reqs. So that gives me a 3.57 overall and a 3.42 science.
Mississippi probably good. Mizzou maybe not, they’re iffy some years

For Mizzou: Unsure on the science as mine was higher but your cum is around what most of my class had. They really took a step back last year and focused more so on applicants with very strong experiences. A huge part of the decision will be your interview.

We also just got a new dean of academic affairs and change in dean so things may change from what was done last year, each cycle is different based on applicant pool!

For Mizzou: Unsure on the science as mine was higher but your cum is around what most of my class had. They really took a step back last year and focused more so on applicants with very strong experiences. A huge part of the decision will be your interview.

We also just got a new dean of academic affairs and change in dean so things may change from what was done last year, each cycle is different based on applicant pool!
Good to know!!!! Thank you I appreciate it:)

Any advice on fulfilling a perquisite during a gap year? I got a C- in biochem during undergrad. Rather than retake the class I was planning taking an online course during my gap year. It was my understanding that this wouldn’t be an issue. A C- technically meets the prerequisite for most schools, so I matched the course I took as at least meeting the prerequisite, except for Davis. I’m a little unsure how to indicate that I plan on taking the course if I’m admitted. I don’t want to put it under my undergrad institution as that’s not where I would take the class. Should I add another school as like UCSD extension in progress? I would most likely take the course with UCSD but I’m not currently enrolled so don’t have a transcript (?) and would it be bad to add a second school and not take it if I get into a school that doesn’t require or accepts my undergrad grade? TIA!

Any advice on fulfilling a perquisite during a gap year? I got a C- in biochem during undergrad. Rather than retake the class I was planning taking an online course during my gap year. It was my understanding that this wouldn’t be an issue. A C- technically meets the prerequisite for most schools, so I matched the course I took as at least meeting the prerequisite, except for Davis. I’m a little unsure how to indicate that I plan on taking the course if I’m admitted. I don’t want to put it under my undergrad institution as that’s not where I would take the class. Should I add another school as like UCSD extension in progress? I would most likely take the course with UCSD but I’m not currently enrolled so don’t have a transcript (?) and would it be bad to add a second school and not take it if I get into a school that doesn’t require or accepts my undergrad grade? TIA!
You need to put it as "planned" if you need it as a prerequisite (or else how are they going to know you're going to complete it). You don't need transcripts for classes you haven't taken.

As stated you need it put into the courses as planned. If you think you may take it at UCSD I'd use that to enter into VMCAS and then if you take it elsewhere instead just send the transcript and perhaps send an email to admissions letting them know you took it at a different institute.

This wasn't for any prerequisites but I had that last year where courses I'd planned for fall at college A didn't happen and instead I took a different course at college B. I messaged them so there wouldn't be issues of their records saying I should be sending Fall transcripts for college A that they'd never receive.

As stated you need it put into the courses as planned. If you think you may take it at UCSD I'd use that to enter into VMCAS and then if you take it elsewhere instead just send the transcript and perhaps send an email to admissions letting them know you took it at a different institute.

This wasn't for any prerequisites but I had that last year where courses I'd planned for fall at college A didn't happen and instead I took a different course at college B. I messaged them so there wouldn't be issues of their records saying I should be sending Fall transcripts for college A that they'd never receive.
Thank you for the response! First time applying so I guess I’m just a little anxious about getting everything correct. I’m submitting in the next day or so so hopefully if there’s an issue they’ll let me know. I’m just a little concerned because a lot of the remainders about the deadlines say that all transcripts for attended universities have to be submitted by the 18th. If I add UCSD as second university attended for January 2024-March 2024 but don’t request/send a transcript will there be an issue in verification?

Thank you for the response! First time applying so I guess I’m just a little anxious about getting everything correct. I’m submitting in the next day or so so hopefully if there’s an issue they’ll let me know. I’m just a little concerned because a lot of the remainders about the deadlines say that all transcripts for attended universities have to be submitted by the 18th. If I add UCSD as second university attended for January 2024-March 2024 but don’t request/send a transcript will there be an issue in verification?
No, because a transcript wouldn't exist for a school where youve yet to take a class.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone! First-time applicant here. I have a question about VMCAS deadline, do all materials have to be submitted or verified by 9/18 at 11:59 pm EST? AKA will schools still accept if you submit by the deadline but aren't verified for another 24 hours or so?
Heard a horror story of a friend that took 7 days to verify her application after deadline & so every school threw out her app except in-state :oops:
Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone! First-time applicant here. I have a question about VMCAS deadline, do all materials have to be submitted or verified by 9/18 at 11:59 pm EST? AKA will schools still accept if you submit by the deadline but aren't verified for another 24 hours or so?
Heard a horror story of a friend that took 7 days to verify her application after deadline & so every school threw out her app except in-state :oops:
Thanks in advance!

It's been awhile since I applied but I have seen people in various years who are verified after the deadline and never an issue. In a brief google search, it appears most school websites seem to say "submit" or "apply by". Are you sure that your friend wasn't missing any materials that weren't submitted on time? Did they apply to many schools?

Notably Ohio State does specify "submitted and verified" so maybe there are some schools that expect you to be verified by the deadline. But it would seem that these are a minority (granted I did not check every school website).

At this point with the deadline so close, I don't think there's any way to guarantee one's application to be verified by the deadline though.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks in advance!
Could also have been a situation in which there were a lot of errors with their app. VMCAS will allow simple fixes post-deadline, but not significant ones.

Hey everyone, I just realized after submitting my application :cryi: I made a mistake on the UGA prereq section; I only listed 13 credits for the humanities prereqs. I DO indeed have the 14 credits minimum required, but I forgot to click another course on my transcript to make it 14+. Should I contact UGA about this? Will they consider me not meeting the course requirements even though they are listed on my transcript?

Hey everyone, I just realized after submitting my application :cryi: I made a mistake on the UGA prereq section; I only listed 13 credits for the humanities prereqs. I DO indeed have the 14 credits minimum required, but I forgot to click another course on my transcript to make it 14+. Should I contact UGA about this? Will they consider me not meeting the course requirements even though they are listed on my transcript?
Contact them and let them know.

Contact them and let them know.
I was freaking out, but I emailed them this morning, and they responded quickly. They confirmed I completed all the prereqs and said there were no additional steps I needed to take.

Reactions: 2 users