The Support Group - A place for admissions-related rants and worries.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm waitlisted at Oregon and still waiting to hear from Tufts and Michigan. Michigan has slowly been sending out acceptances, but it's getting close to the point where they start sending out rejections and I'm downhearted. There's so many people on Oregon's waitlist that I have absolutely no hope. And I feel like Tufts is so amazing and competitive that I cannot see them taking me at all- I still can't figure out why they even gave me an interview.

I've been accepted to St. George's and Edinburgh (5yr) but I'm not sure what I should do if I don't get into anywhere other than St. George's or Edinburgh. Edinburgh is so expensive because it's 5 years (300k). Plus my SO is in the Navy and such a long distance for such a long time would be really difficult. And Grenada's not any better- expensive and far away plus I feel like I'd be looked down upon if I went to St. George and not have as good of a chance getting internships after graduation (I want to be zoo/exotic/wildlife).

I need help!

Is it possible to defer your acceptance for a year? That would allow you to apply again and potentially getting into a state school and then you could give up your seat. I would just be afraid to give up the seat totally bc if you don't get into a state school next year I would assume you would apply internationally again, but it would not look good to apply to a school who you've already been accepted into but rejected the seat the year prior.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to defer your acceptance for a year? That would allow you to apply again and potentially getting into a state school and then you could give up your seat. I would just be afraid to give up the seat totally bc if you don't get into a state school next year I would assume you would apply internationally again, but it would not look good to apply to a school who you've already been accepted into but rejected the seat the year prior.

This is actually a great idea, I had never considered it I suppose because I don't really have a good excuse, although I suppose lack of financial support could be a valid reason.

This is actually a great idea, I had never considered it I suppose because I don't really have a good excuse, although I suppose lack of financial support could be a valid reason.

I think someone on here did that with Glasgow... Orca2011 maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
Worrying so much. Everyone keeps saying "you'll get in!" But all I can do is replay my interview in my head and keep thinking what I could have done better in interviews. Ahhhh this is eating me alive. I think I'll go eat my feelings in the form of ice cream now. :(

Worrying so much. Everyone keeps saying "you'll get in!" But all I can do is replay my interview in my head and keep thinking what I could have done better in interviews. Ahhhh this is eating me alive. I think I'll go eat my feelings in the form of ice cream now. :(

Half a pint of Ben & Jerry's ahead of you in this

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Half a pint of Ben & Jerry's ahead of you in this

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

:thumbup:

more like three eggos with peanut butter and syrup, some string cheese, and three cups of coffee ahead of you...

:thumbup:

more like three eggos with peanut butter and syrup, some string cheese, and three cups of coffee ahead of you...

That sounds delicious. Although I am also on third cup of coffee for the day! My Ben and Jerry's of choice is Colbert's Americone Dream.. Anyone have other preferences?!

That sounds delicious. Although I am also on third cup of coffee for the day! My Ben and Jerry's of choice is Colbert's Americone Dream.. Anyone have other preferences?!

PHISHFOOD ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!! Can't get any better than fudgie fishies swimming in swirls of chocolate, caramel, and marshmallow all whipped up in both chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

So I did a search of this thread and didn't find exactly this question... Please direct me elsewhere if there is a thread on this already!

Let's say you are in a graduate program and set to defend your thesis in the spring, and you are already accepted at vet school for the fall.

On your acceptance letter, there is a statement saying something like "you must have an indication that your degree was conferred on your final transcript".

What would happen if your defense doesn't go well? Is it possible to still be admitted, seeing as you've completed all the courses, and technically a masters isn't required in general for admission...This would not be a matter of 'starting a master's with no intent to finish". It would be more a matter of not wanting to put life on hold for another year when vet school is your true goal. Anyone with insight, help greatly appreciated!

My acceptance letter had very similar verbiage (I was in a thesis based MS as well when I was accepted) and I finished my thesis during my first summer of vet school and submitted it during fall quarter 2nd year, and obviously everything was fine. My MS was at the same school where I go to vet school though, so YMMV.

Fish Food. All the way. Best Ben and Jerry's there is. Although Cheesecake Brownie, Red Velvet Cake, and Half Baked are all very delightful.

Members don't see this ad :)

I forget what it is called now but when I first had it like a year ago it was called bonaroo blitz. Its delicious.

All these good suggestions.. Guess I'm going grocery shopping today! :D

There's a really delicious flavor if you like oatmeal cookies - I think it's called Oatmeal Cookie Chunk? It's DELICIOUS and I can't get it where I live :(

Schweddy Balls was pretty good too, I thought.

Just got home from Mississippi and I feel exhausted. Long drive, plus I've had a terrible sore throat for the past two days and so haven't slept much. Anyway, while I was there I found out I was wait listed at Iowa State and so now I'm feeling super discouraged. This is my third app cycle and yes, I have more interviews, but that's no gurantee. I'm so worried.

Just got home from Mississippi and I feel exhausted. Long drive, plus I've had a terrible sore throat for the past two days and so haven't slept much. Anyway, while I was there I found out I was wait listed at Iowa State and so now I'm feeling super discouraged. This is my third app cycle and yes, I have more interviews, but that's no gurantee. I'm so worried.

Waitlists aren't the end :D :thumbup:

Traditionally, Iowa's waitlist has moved a LOT. I don't remember what my number was, but it was definitely above 50 and I got called off their waitlist :) I know of people in the 90s++ also called off, so don't give up all hope yet :)

Traditionally, Iowa's waitlist has moved a LOT. I don't remember what my number was, but it was definitely above 50 and I got called off their waitlist :) I know of people in the 90s++ also called off, so don't give up all hope yet :)

I was in the high 80's last year for Iow's waitlist and was only about 7 or so away from being called off... so close but no dice. Waitlists aren't the end of the world... especially for Iowa.

After reading through the posts yesterday I bought a thing Ben and Jerry's Half Baked today at CVS when I was getting my SO candy for Valentine's day :oops: and It is so delicious :love:

I haven't heard anything back from a program I interviewed for two months ago. They didn't tell us when we would hear back, so for a while I was calm about it, but now I'm getting all antsy.

And the program I interviewed for a week and a half ago didn't tell us when we would hear from them, either, and now I'm getting ansty about that, too.

Blargleflargle.

So I figured this might be a good place to ask this:

Anyone have any recommendations on good books or places to read up on LA/Food Production ethics? Someone had recommended a book a while ago in a thread that I can no longer find to save my life. I am subscribed to the AVMA Smartbrief and read DVM360 quite a bit and own a couple books on general veterinary medical ethics, however I was hoping to find something on food production specifically (e.g. sow gestation crates, etc.).

Any ideas would be amazing! :) :thumbup:

I'm pretty worried for the MMI I have coming up. I need to have a good background on this stuff to feel somewhat confident talking about it. I like panels so much more... :(

Anyone have any recommendations on good books or places to read up on LA/Food Production ethics? Someone had recommended a book a while ago in a thread that I can no longer find to save my life. I am subscribed to the AVMA Smartbrief and read DVM360 quite a bit and own a couple books on general veterinary medical ethics, however I was hoping to find something on food production specifically (e.g. sow gestation crates, etc.).

I'm pretty worried for the MMI I have coming up. I need to have a good background on this stuff to feel somewhat confident talking about it. I like panels so much more... :(

I'm thinking any book by Temple Grandin would be a good resource :thumbup:

If I were a vet school interviewing a student, I'd be asking a lotttt about food safety right about now. Check out the situation in Europe with horse-meat contaminated products. In the past few days there were also 6 horses in the food supply in France (? I think) with high phenylbute levels. Current events :thumbup: Googling specific issues will bring you to lots of newsarticles to at least get a general gist of what's going on in each subject

Also agree with Temple Grandin

Also be prepared to know the difference between animal rights vs animal welfare, and within these contexts the differences between domestic pets and food animal.

I just got my waitlist notification from Tufts, and I doubt I'll get an offer. I'm waitlisted at Tufts and Oregon with offers from St. George and Edinburgh. Still waiting on Michigan but I don't have much hope. Anyway, I don't know what I'll be doing next year. Should I go to Edinburgh? Even though it's the five-year program and expensive as heck and really far away from my SO? Should I take a year off? If I take a year off what I'd like to do is live by my SO, but I don't know how I'd pay for that since I've already submitted my FAFSA for VET SCHOOL. It's too late to apply for grad school, so that's out of the question, so I'd have to just take a few undergrad classes to improve my GPA, find somewhere to work, and find an internship somewhere. But WHERE? Should I go home to my parents where living is cheap but there's no opportunities? Or should I go live near my SO where I'll have to pay rent, but I'd get to be near him for at least a year(already been in a long-distance relationship for 4 years) and would have plenty of opportunities for experience and school?

I wouldn't have a problem splurging and going to Edinburgh if it weren't for the fact that I have an SO that I fully plan on spending the rest of my life with. My SO is currently at the naval academy, planning on going to flight school in 2014 and when I was applying I didn't realize how hard it would be living in Edinburgh for vet school while he would be here for flight school. It's bad enough that we haven't been able to be together for four years, but could we do another 5 at such a great distance? I don't know if I could take the stress of that on top of vet school.

My situation is just so precarious right now. I have to keep taking all of these extra classes on the tiny chance that I get pulled off of a waitlist, I have to worry about whether I'll even get to see my SO in the next 5 years, and I have to worry about preparing for next year's cycle AND how I'm going to pay for all of this.

I'm just at such a loss and I'm so overwhelmed.

Well, I really can't tell you what to do because there is not a right answer. I'll tell you what I did when I didn't get in last year- worked, improved my GRE, saved up some money, and applied again. Now, I'm not sure what your stats are, so that would be good to know.

Anyway, I am SO glad that I waited and applied again. I knew I could get in in the US (it seems like you could, too). One of my best friends went to St. Georges in the fall and that is her route, but I personally would not do that... it was not for me.

Now I am feeling like I am going where I am meant to be.

Hope that helps even a little.

I just got my waitlist notification from Tufts, and I doubt I'll get an offer. I'm waitlisted at Tufts and Oregon with offers from St. George and Edinburgh. Still waiting on Michigan but I don't have much hope. Anyway, I don't know what I'll be doing next year. Should I go to Edinburgh? Even though it's the five-year program and expensive as heck and really far away from my SO? Should I take a year off? If I take a year off what I'd like to do is live by my SO, but I don't know how I'd pay for that since I've already submitted my FAFSA for VET SCHOOL. It's too late to apply for grad school, so that's out of the question, so I'd have to just take a few undergrad classes to improve my GPA, find somewhere to work, and find an internship somewhere. But WHERE? Should I go home to my parents where living is cheap but there's no opportunities? Or should I go live near my SO where I'll have to pay rent, but I'd get to be near him for at least a year(already been in a long-distance relationship for 4 years) and would have plenty of opportunities for experience and school?

I wouldn't have a problem splurging and going to Edinburgh if it weren't for the fact that I have an SO that I fully plan on spending the rest of my life with. My SO is currently at the naval academy, planning on going to flight school in 2014 and when I was applying I didn't realize how hard it would be living in Edinburgh for vet school while he would be here for flight school. It's bad enough that we haven't been able to be together for four years, but could we do another 5 at such a great distance? I don't know if I could take the stress of that on top of vet school.

My situation is just so precarious right now. I have to keep taking all of these extra classes on the tiny chance that I get pulled off of a waitlist, I have to worry about whether I'll even get to see my SO in the next 5 years, and I have to worry about preparing for next year's cycle AND how I'm going to pay for all of this.

I'm just at such a loss and I'm so overwhelmed.

So I had my Mississippi State interview on 2/6. It was my second time interviewing there (I was waitlisted last year) I thought the interview went really well. I was a lot more confident this year, and I made a bunch of improvements to my app, and I finished my Master's program with a strong GPA. Apparently some calls went out but I haven't gotten one yet, and I'm not sure if they are finished making calls. I am just so worried that despite my efforts to make the necessary improvements, I will be waitlisted again, or even rejected. This is the worst feeling ever. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my stats

Female, 21, First-time applicant, BS in Microbiology

GPA: 3.4
Science: 3.4
Last 45: 3.3

GRE: Q-162, V- 162, W-5

Experience:
Veterinary
SA-1000
LA- 50
Exotics-100
Animal
SA- 500
LA- 250
Exotics- 500

Other:
Undergraduate research assistant for two years, various awards and scholarships, brother of Alpha Chi Sigma, various volunteer positions, experience in wedding planning (added that for interest), interned at a zoo

Letters:
Med School professor
SA vet I've worked for for 2 years
Curator for a zoo I interned at
Owner of a business I interned at
Professor for one of my major classes

If I was in your position, I would reapply next year. I know you can get in if you just make a few improvements. Maybe take a few classes and get that GPA up a little bit if you can. Get some more LA or Exotic vet experience.
And, apply smartly. Last year I did not but this year I thought about it and there is some great advice on this forum about it that I wish I had found a few years ago. Apply to schools that take a lot of OOS students (which I consider at least 40).

But, that is what I would do, but it is untimely your decision. Good luck!! The Caribbean schools weren't for me, I don't think, but if I couldn't get in in the US this application cycle or the next I might have considered applying there.

Here's my stats

Female, 21, First-time applicant, BS in Microbiology

GPA: 3.4
Science: 3.4
Last 45: 3.3

GRE: Q-162, V- 162, W-5

Experience:
Veterinary
SA-1000
LA- 50
Exotics-100
Animal
SA- 500
LA- 250
Exotics- 500

Other:
Undergraduate research assistant for two years, various awards and scholarships, brother of Alpha Chi Sigma, various volunteer positions, experience in wedding planning (added that for interest), interned at a zoo

Letters:
Med School professor
SA vet I've worked for for 2 years
Curator for a zoo I interned at
Owner of a business I interned at
Professor for one of my major classes

I'm leaning towards reapplying too, given that I don't get into Michigan or off any waitlists.

I guess it just scares me because I've already submitted all of my financial aid as if I'm going to vet school, so I don't know how I'd get funding to re-take those few classes I need to re-take to boost my GPA. And should I just take them at a community college? Won't schools look badly upon that like I couldn't handle the courseload at a 4-year institution?

And as for work experience, I'm just scared I won't be able to find any paying animal-related work experience because the market is so competitive. Should I just focus on volunteering for more experience and then get a part-time job to save up for the next cycle of applications?

So I had my Mississippi State interview on 2/6. It was my second time interviewing there (I was waitlisted last year) I thought the interview went really well. I was a lot more confident this year, and I made a bunch of improvements to my app, and I finished my Master's program with a strong GPA. Apparently some calls went out but I haven't gotten one yet, and I'm not sure if they are finished making calls. I am just so worried that despite my efforts to make the necessary improvements, I will be waitlisted again, or even rejected. This is the worst feeling ever. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Right there with you, hon!:) I'm really sweating it too. We just have to take it one day at a time.

I guess it just scares me because I've already submitted all of my financial aid as if I'm going to vet school, so I don't know how I'd get funding to re-take those few classes I need to re-take to boost my GPA. And should I just take them at a community college? Won't schools look badly upon that like I couldn't handle the courseload at a 4-year institution?
?

You can change your FAFSA! I had to do this last year. Just go in and ammend it. Not a big deal at all! However... You might want to call MSU and when you should do that, in case you do get called off the wait list. I know a few of the loans have certain deadlines to be considered, which are earlier than most undergrad institutions deadlines.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, you really never now! You can probably call the FAFSA people and just explain the situation and they will discontinue your application. When I was at Virginia Tech for my undergrad, the vet school admissions people told me that they don't look down upon Community college classes. Now, I'm not sure if that goes for all schools or not. I took physics at a CC, both semesters and the labs. I even got a C in one of the 4 credit classes, lol, oh well.
If you are going to find a full-time job, then I think that might be your best bet! I am currently taking 2 classes as part of the vet tech program through work (at an online CC) and it is working out really well. Of course, ideally, it would be great to find an animal related job if you can, so put applications out there! If you can't find one, just do some shadowing and find a job that can support you at least until next fall.

I'm leaning towards reapplying too, given that I don't get into Michigan or off any waitlists.

And as for work experience, I'm just scared I won't be able to find any paying animal-related work experience because the market is so competitive. Should I just focus on volunteering for more experience and then get a part-time job to save up for the next cycle of applications?

WAITLISTED.

So frustrating, can't understand why I'm not good enough to just get in! What on earth am I missing!!? GPA is high, GRE scores are decent, interview skills aren't awful, and I have over 5000 hours of experience with SA/LA/Specialty/Wildlife.

NOT looking forward to being strung along for 5 weeks only to be let down in the end.

OMG I want to cry and scream. The deadline for transcripts to be received at AVC is Thursday, Feburary 28 and they still don't have one transcript, from one school, for one class that won't even go towards my pre reqs.

Let's rewind back to November. I had my transcripts ordered and sent but apparently forgot to check off the little box that says: Send after final grades are received. So, I was unaware that AVC was holding a blank transcript from this school. Fast forward to two weeks ago when I learned that they didn't have my transcript. So, I filled in the online form and requested that an official copy be faxed.

I learn this morning that AVC needs the hardcopy to be mailed to them. Alright then. So, since I have less than a week I decide that I am going to pick this transcript up and overnight it myself. But now, since I filled the form out on line and my boyfriend will be the one picking it up (since we live 50 mins outside the city), they tell me that since the university is closed tomorrow it will be ready for Monday! I call and very politely talk to their transcript secretary, she explains that because I ordered it online it apparently states that it will only be processed the next business day. She then goes on to tell me that there are rules that we all have to follow. She says the best she can do is wait for her boss to get out of a meeting and get permission to print it. I'm in full out panic mode now and I want to sick dog zombies on the transcript office for not having the ability to use common sense and step away from their beurocratic nonsense for a moment. (ETA: I clearly explained to her why these transcripts were urgent and in not so many words they're ruining my life).

I'd be terrified to only overnight it on Monday.

Don't stress. Even if you get them on Monday, that's plenty of time to overnight them. But call again in a bit and just be SUPER nice. The nicer you are the more people will want to help you in most every situation. It'll be alright.

Thank you Abney. I have been super polite with them. I just don't want to stress out about it all weekend. What if I only send them Monday and the mail truck gets swept by tsunami or attacked by dinosaurs? Those aren't the real 'what ifs' that are playing in my mind but I am terrified that something will go wrong. Like what if the PEI bridge closes for a day or two due to highwinds or protesters block the bridge? I'm going to go count to ten and breath.

Thank you again for your support.