The Under 3.0 Club part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im in a similar situation and dont know what to do at all!!! My undergrad GPA is around a 2.9, but my Post-Bacc GPA is 3.8+, and I have DAT scores that are 19/19/16. Im wondering if I should retake my DAT's and aim for something above a 21? I know I can do it if im not doing too many other things- currently I work 60hrs/ wk, take classes, and shadow a dentist...

you definitely should take the DAT again. your post-bacc GPA is high, that means you know your science stuff now, so you can easily get in the 20s. PAT just takes a lot of practice. Anything less than 17 is simply not competitive enough. I know exactly how crazy your schedule must be, but hey, you have to do what you have to do. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

im sorry to be a downer here but here is my story so far...
had a 2.7 gpa through first two years... last two years is a 3.95 with 2 semesters at 4.0. Taken all high level biochemistry. I scored a 24TS/23AA/21PA on the dat with a 25 in OChem. Ive got plenty of shadowing and extra curric., have research and good l.o.r. So far 3 rejections in a row. One was from in state OSU. From what I gather from the follow up contact, the schools dont even look at sub 3.0 applicants! Sorry guys...

im sorry to be a downer here but here is my story so far...
had a 2.7 gpa through first two years... last two years is a 3.95 with 2 semesters at 4.0. Taken all high level biochemistry. I scored a 24TS/23AA/21PA on the dat with a 25 in OChem. Ive got plenty of shadowing and extra curric., have research and good l.o.r. So far 3 rejections in a row. One was from in state OSU. From what I gather from the follow up contact, the schools dont even look at sub 3.0 applicants! Sorry guys...

Were those pre- or post-interview rejections? Don't be such a downer. I'm a sub 3.0er and I have 5 interviews and I applied kinda late. Don't say that they don't look at the sub 3.0 applications because they do. And give serious consideration as well. I'm still in the interview process, so i'm still doing a lot of waiting. There is still hope sub 3.0ers!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Were those pre- or post-interview rejections? Don't be such a downer. I'm a sub 3.0er and I have 5 interviews and I applied kinda late. Don't say that they don't look at the sub 3.0 applications because they do. And give serious consideration as well. I'm still in the interview process, so i'm still doing a lot of waiting. There is still hope sub 3.0ers!!!

What are your stats and what have u done to improve your app?

my stats are this major is Biochem with minor in predent
previous 21/2 years at other university is 2.7gpa cum science and recent 2 1/2 is 3.9 gpa ... these rejections were pre interview. about 120 hours shadowing and 200+ community service

i just got off the phone with osu...they literally told me they didnt even look at my app because my cum gpa was below a 3.0...she was shocked to see how much improvement i had actually made! So she called the director and told him about me and they said I had a good chance next app cycle if i can get above a 3.0 cum. Otherwise she said they just make 2 piles..one for below 3.0 and one for above! how crappy is that...well time to start my MBA:(

What are your stats and what have u done to improve your app?

My Stats:
Sci GPA: 2.65, Cum GPA: 2.89, DAT 18/17/18, Senior Biology major. I really don't know what I did to improve my app because this is my 1st time applying. I guess you never know what the adcoms are looking for. I guess my overall app looks really good for me to be considered competitive.

Here is my post review:

newug2.jpg

Wow, they send that to you? I didn't know that. Did you have to request that from them or did they just send it to you? I haven't gotten any response back from my schools yet, I have interviewed at 4 schools so far and one more in Feb. I'm late in the cycle because I just started interviewing in December. I did hear from my state school and they waitlisted me. I don't really know how that process works, but I don't really wanna go there anyway.

I called them up and scheduled an advising appointment with thier dean of admissions.

i'm not in the club, barely
gpa 3.4
sci 3.2

but you guys are not the only one feeling the pressure looking at the people with the 3.8 gpa's and the 4.0 sci gpa's

its so comforting to see that dental school isn't all about the 4.0's getting in...i love to come and read....you guys are a freaking total inspiration to us all...and WHEN (not if, positive thinking) i get in, i would rather have one of you guys as a partner, than any of the 4.0 people!

so please keep trying, please keep applying, do all you can, and don't give up!

Shortset...are you considered a minority?

Hey all fellow sub 3.0 applicants! I just got into my top choice school today, and my sci undergrad gpa is significantly below a 3.0 (cum undergrad gpa=3.05), but I went into an M.S. program right after undergrad and worked my butt off! My DAT was an 18/19/17.

This is my 2nd time applying and almost gave up, but I got accepted!!! Don't ever give up if dentistry is what you want, I've been trying to get into dental school for 2 cycles and it finally has paid off! I'm proof that with work, even below a 3.0 gpa can get accepted!!!!!

hey guys I am a GP dentist.I graduated in 86. I happenned to be checking this forum out for my D who is thinking dental and is around a 3.0. My undergrad gpa was 3.0 so I can relate to you guys. When I graduated from dental school I was in the top 3rd of my class.So please dont give up. GPA means nothing. Determination and consistency mean everything. Go for it.

Dr. Dion is right, I never gave up and work very hard this past summer to get a higher DAT score, and did it! My GPA was around 3.0 and got 5 interviews, and only attended 3 so far and cancel my other 2 interviews because I already got in a good dental school and with a 20K scholarship for each year in dental school. So .. if dentistry is your thang ..... work hard .. .and you will see that all that sacrifice and time will be paid off once you get that acceptance letter in your mail!!!

Dr. Dion is right, I never gave up and work very hard this past summer to get a higher DAT score, and did it! My GPA was around 3.0 and got 5 interviews, and only attended 3 so far and cancel my other 2 interviews because I already got in a good dental school and with a 20K scholarship for each year in dental school. So .. if dentistry is your thang ..... work hard .. .and you will see that all that sacrifice and time will be paid off once you get that acceptance letter in your mail!!!

What were your DAT scores?

Status
Not open for further replies.