The Waiting game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when Emory starts processing their applications?

The last email I got from Emory said they'd email me with further instructions once they started reviewing applications. Looking at last year's boards, I kind of think they start processing at the beginning of the new year, since acceptances started going out at the end of January.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when Emory starts processing their applications?

I just emailed them for my PhD application status. They said I'd hear back about their decision in February or March. So, I am guessing they'd start processing around January after the holidays.

The last email I got from Emory said they'd email me with further instructions once they started reviewing applications. Looking at last year's boards, I kind of think they start processing at the beginning of the new year, since acceptances started going out at the end of January.

Looks like we finally got our OPUS logins for Emory! That means we are at least one step closer to receiving a decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like we finally got our OPUS logins for Emory! That means we are at least one step closer to receiving a decision.

Congrats on your acceptance to Mt Sinai! Did you ever get a confirmation email after your SOPHAS app was verified?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on your acceptance to Mt Sinai! Did you ever get a confirmation email after your SOPHAS app was verified?

Thanks! I'm pretty happy about that one because I really love the location and their tuition is pretty affordable. Nope. I never got any sort of confirmation from them. The first thing I received from them was my acceptance.

Is anyone getting more than one email from the schools about their application being received? I just got my 2nd email from UT-Houston that my application was received as well as my 3rd from GWU? What does this mean?

I've gotten emails from Harvard and UMN saying I met their priority deadlines and whatnot, so now I just have to wait for them.

I'm also finally getting around to applying for BU, drexel, and Yale or UIC since I finally have free time again. After our SOPHAS has been verified do we still have to send GRE score reports to each additional school? Or is SOPHAS able to send them since the schools sent SOPHAS the scores?

tldr; Its confusing and expensive.

And congrats on your acceptances so far everyone!

Is anyone getting more than one email from the schools about their application being received? I just got my 2nd email from UT-Houston that my application was received as well as my 3rd from GWU? What does this mean?

Hmm. I can't say I've had that problem. Sounds like it's just an error in the system. I wouldn't think too much of it.

I've gotten emails from Harvard and UMN saying I met their priority deadlines and whatnot, so now I just have to wait for them.

I'm also finally getting around to applying for BU, drexel, and Yale or UIC since I finally have free time again. After our SOPHAS has been verified do we still have to send GRE score reports to each additional school? Or is SOPHAS able to send them since the schools sent SOPHAS the scores?

tldr; Its confusing and expensive.

And congrats on your acceptances so far everyone!

As far as I know and from what SOPHAS told me when I asked them, you still have to send the scores to each individual school. I really don't understand that since everything is online now. It hurts to spend an extra $27 per school!

Hmm. I can't say I've had that problem. Sounds like it's just an error in the system. I wouldn't think too much of it.

As far as I know and from what SOPHAS told me when I asked them, you still have to send the scores to each individual school. I really don't understand that since everything is online now. It hurts to spend an extra $27 per school!

I think you do understand! The extra $27 hurting you is going to ETS...

I think you do understand! The extra $27 hurting you is going to ETS...

But it would make so much more sense if we only had to send one copy to SOPHAS! They could simply report our official scores to the schools (like they do with our transcripts). Then, if we choose to matriculate to a school we could send official copies of our GRE scores to them (like we have to do with our transcripts). Oh well... ETS got a nice chunk of change from me (10 schools :uhno:)!

But it would make so much more sense if we only had to send one copy to SOPHAS! They could simply report our official scores to the schools (like they do with our transcripts). Then, if we choose to matriculate to a school we could send official copies of our GRE scores to them (like we have to do with our transcripts). Oh well... ETS got a nice chunk of change from me (10 schools :uhno:)!

I agree, that's the way it should work, but then ETS doesn't get as much money out of you as it could.

Well screw ETS. Their test is stupid and painful and expensive enough. I was mostly pissed off that I didn't know that you could only get free score reports when you took the test. Like if that concept were clearer to me, I would've sent some to the schools I knew I wanted to apply at. I thought that the 4 free ones when you sit down would carry over hahaha. But seriously those types of decisions/info you shouldn't ask after dealing with a 3 hour test of mental endurance.

Well screw ETS. Their test is stupid and painful and expensive enough. I was mostly pissed off that I didn't know that you could only get free score reports when you took the test. Like if that concept were clearer to me, I would've sent some to the schools I knew I wanted to apply at. I thought that the 4 free ones when you sit down would carry over hahaha. But seriously those types of decisions/info you shouldn't ask after dealing with a 3 hour test of mental endurance.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that! I didn't send any at the testing center :bang:.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yesh...I feel fortunate that I did (mostly because I took the test on Halloween and heard it takes a while for schools to receive them). I was super OCD about the deadlines of all the schools I applied to, so I send it to the ones that I knew had a close deadline.

Anyway is everyone on holiday break?

Yesh...I feel fortunate that I did (mostly because I took the test on Halloween and heard it takes a while for schools to receive them). I was super OCD about the deadlines of all the schools I applied to, so I send it to the ones that I knew had a close deadline.

Anyway is everyone on holiday break?

No holiday break for me :cryi:. Been out of school for a year now. But my family is coming up this weekend, so at least I'll get to see them!

No holiday break for me :cryi:. Been out of school for a year now. But my family is coming up this weekend, so at least I'll get to see them!

Oh dear! I just finished my undergrad, so the weight of real life has yet to hit me. I'm living with my family because my partner is still finding an apartment to settle in Chicago. Hopefully we'll find one soon so I can start with the residency change.

Yay for family, though!

Hey, I was just perusing this board and saw all the comments about GRE reporting. I hadn't really thought about any of that since I reported scores when I sat my test, but I went onto SOPHAS and checked just to make sure. For some reason, Emory supposedly only received the scores from my first go at the GRE, while Tulane received the first go twice and the 2nd once. I'm going to have to ask ETS, but I was wondering if anyone else had had experience with this.

Hey, I was just perusing this board and saw all the comments about GRE reporting. I hadn't really thought about any of that since I reported scores when I sat my test, but I went onto SOPHAS and checked just to make sure. For some reason, Emory supposedly only received the scores from my first go at the GRE, while Tulane received the first go twice and the 2nd once. I'm going to have to ask ETS, but I was wondering if anyone else had had experience with this.

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Good! Hopefully it wasn't anything that delayed your apps too much.

On another note, anybody doing anything interesting over the rest of December? I'm guessing we probably won't hear anything else from schools until the 1st or 2nd week of January, so it's doing me no good to constantly refresh my e-mail anymore! How am I supposed to kill my boredom at work?? :help:

Good! Hopefully it wasn't anything that delayed your apps too much.

On another note, anybody doing anything interesting over the rest of December? I'm guessing we probably won't hear anything else from schools until the 1st or 2nd week of January, so it's doing me no good to constantly refresh my e-mail anymore! How am I supposed to kill my boredom at work?? :help:

No, it's just that I reported my scores to Emory the 1st time I took it, but around the 2nd time I was thinking I wouldn't go there. The duplicate with Tulane was because they changed my percentile ranking on one of my scores. Not sure what it will do to my chances with Emory, but my application is already being reviewed so there's no reason to worry about it.

Seeing all the acceptances and I didn't hear back from any but one interview makes me so frustrated, checking my email every hour...but probably have to wait past the holidays :(

Congrats everyone who got accepted and happy holidays!!

Seeing all the acceptances and I didn't hear back from any but one interview makes me so frustrated, checking my email every hour...but probably have to wait past the holidays :(

Congrats everyone who got accepted and happy holidays!!

If I remember correctly, you applied MHA didn't you? Their timeline is a little bit different than the MPH timeline (most MPH don't even interview).

If I remember correctly, you applied MHA didn't you? Their timeline is a little bit different than the MPH timeline (most MPH don't even interview).
Yeah. I applied for MHA. I see people getting MHA acceptances as well though. But that's okay, I should have more patience and crossing my fingers.

Yeah. I applied for MHA. I see people getting MHA acceptances as well though. But that's okay, I should have more patience and crossing my fingers.

Well it's definitely still early in the cycle! I'd guess that things won't really pick up until the second week of January.

No, it's just that I reported my scores to Emory the 1st time I took it, but around the 2nd time I was thinking I wouldn't go there. The duplicate with Tulane was because they changed my percentile ranking on one of my scores. Not sure what it will do to my chances with Emory, but my application is already being reviewed so there's no reason to worry about it.

Oh ok. It seems odd that they changed your percentile scores. Did you just report them wrong the first time?

Oh ok. It seems odd that they changed your percentile scores. Did you just report them wrong the first time?

Nope, this is the reporting directly from ETS, not the self-reporting. I noticed that they changed on the ETS website and I don't know why they did, but I'm not fussed about it. I don't really expect to get into Emory anyway, so I'm just glad nothing went wrong with my Columbia application (knock on wood).

So how is everybody doing now that the holidays are over? It's back to checking my e-mail a million times a day for me ;). Hoping to start the year off right with an acceptance sometime soon!

I just received a email from OSU telling me my application is forwarded for review...=.= I was so nervous when I saw the email title...anyway.

How long does it usually take to get an answer after you get this kind of email? Especially those had experiences with OSU?

I just received a email from OSU telling me my application is forwarded for review...=.= I was so nervous when I saw the email title...anyway.

How long does it usually take to get an answer after you get this kind of email? Especially those had experiences with OSU?
I received an email from them saying it would take "up to three weeks, though the process is normally more expedient."

That was on November 5th.

My application to OSU was forwarded to the department for review on 12/9, and I received an offer of admission on 12/22. It may take a little longer now that they've had time off for the holidays, but I hope this gives you a rough idea!

My application to OSU was forwarded to the department for review on 12/9, and I received an offer of admission on 12/22. It may take a little longer now that they've had time off for the holidays, but I hope this gives you a rough idea!

Two weeks is not bad. Thank you and congrats!

After graduation and the holidays, I've been expecting a mass of emails from admissions or at least hearing back from job applications. Alas, I've only received congratulations from my commencement speech and goodbye messages.

After graduation and the holidays, I've been expecting a mass of emails from admissions or at least hearing back from job applications. Alas, I've only received congratulations from my commencement speech and goodbye messages.

I think most admissions offices only just opened back up and from what somebody said, there are some (Columbia) that won't be opening until the end of January.

I think most admissions offices only just opened back up and from what somebody said, there are some (Columbia) that won't be opening until the end of January.

I just want to know where I could possible end up city-wise by late August. I'm moving to Chicago in a couple of weeks and it would be nice to know that I got accepted to UI-Chicago.

Ugh :eek:

I haven't heard a peep from UIC in 2 months. I get where you're coming from, though. I would love to go ahead and know what my city options are. My wife already has a pretty good job where we live currently, so it'd be great to know early where we are going so that she could possibly transfer.

Today marks 6 weeks since SOPHAS verified my application.....annnnnytime now.......

How many schools did you apply to? I've only heard from a couple so far. Schools are waiting longer to notify than I expected. :boom:

I applied to 8 schools (John Hopkins, Columbia, Emory, UWash, GWU, UIC, UT-Houston, and Drexel). For all except JHU, I applied for the epidemiology program. I applied for PFRH concentration for JHU. My dream schol would be John Hopkins and UWash

I applied to 8 schools (John Hopkins, Columbia, Emory, UWash, GWU, UIC, UT-Houston, and Drexel). For all except JHU, I applied for the epidemiology program. I applied for PFRH concentration for JHU. My dream schol would be John Hopkins and UWash

I'd think you should start hearing from some of those very soon. I heard back from GWU in about 6 weeks. Emory has told a couple of people that we should hear back within a week or two. Johns Hopkins and UWash are both great programs. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd think you should start hearing from some of those very soon. I heard back from GWU in about 6 weeks. Emory has told a couple of people that we should hear back within a week or two. Johns Hopkins and UWash are both great programs. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Emory that fast? o_O
They just sent me a confirmation email two days ago.

Is Emory that fast? o_O
They just sent me a confirmation email two days ago.

My application has been received by them since November, but they didn't even really start reviewing applications until very recently. They have already given out a couple of decisions and most of theirs tend to be released late January/early February.

Everything has been so quiet today. I'm surprised that not many schools have been giving out decisions this week. I figured there would be a surge following the holidays. Maybe it'll happen next week :rolleyes:.

Someone heard from Yale today. So I'll be attached to my email the next week.

Someone heard from Yale today. So I'll be attached to my email the next week.

Good luck! Looks like somebody just got an acceptance to Johns Hopkins as well. I didn't apply to either of those schools, but good luck to everybody who did! I hope you all start hearing good news.

Does anyone know whether you can submit FASFA before you know which school you will be attending?

Oh boy it's Saturday. This mean waiting until Monday for any word....argh! At least I got an acceptance to one school!

Oh boy it's Saturday. This mean waiting until Monday for any word....argh! At least I got an acceptance to one school!

I don't think I have ever been so excited for the weekend to be over haha

Reactions: 1 users