THE WRIGHT INSTITUTE- Former or current students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Insomniac99

Reaction score
I would like honest opinions about this program please. Do you feel prepared as a clinician? Anyone interested in neuropsych that went to this program? How do you deal with the student debt? Were there research opportunities? Where do you park around the area/or live.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I have only worked with some recent graduates. But here are my thoughts. Their level of preparation varies. Their level of confidence does not (most I have worked with seem to think they are all-stars... for the most part, they are not).

They do not appear to have good training in research or anything that resembles ability to critically evaluate and implement applied research.

Case conceptualizations and interventions are at times questionable and can float into the pseudo world (again just a pattern I have noticed with graduates...I have no clue about the rigor of the Wright training program itself)

Their enjoyment of their personal lives and level of stress seems directly linked to student loan debt/family wealth.

Most seem to have enjoyed the program overall, but several state they would not do it again if they could go back in time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This place does not have a good reputation for neuropsych. Unless they've turned that around greatly in the last year or two, I'd be looking more broadly for that particular specialty.
Thank you for your reply. What do you think of palo alto’s PhD program and their concentration in neuropsychology? As well as william james college?

Thank you for your reply. What do you think of palo alto’s PhD program and their concentration in neuropsychology? As well as william james college?

May I ask how you plan to cover tuition and living expenses? Because you’ve picked some of the most expensive programs in the most expensive parts of the country.

From my experience, PAU students appear to get better training than Wright students. I know a few who have landed decent neuropsych postdocs. More research experience as well. But again, that tuition and cost of living is oppressive for anybody who does not come from a wealthy family.

Can you say more about that?

Rather not get into details since some may be on this board, but think in the world of essential oils, physical touch, sound bathing, astrology, etc...

Again, I have no knowledge of the rigor of this program's training, and do know some high quality grads. But some trends I've noticed... Could very well be personality/background of students coming into that program.

This place does not have a good reputation for neuropsych. Unless they've turned that around greatly in the last year or two, I'd be looking more broadly for that particular specialty.
Can I ask about your journey of becoming a neuropsychologist? Which programs do u recommend /post docs as well?

May I ask how you plan to cover tuition and living expenses? Because you’ve picked some of the most expensive programs in the most expensive parts of the country.

From my experience, PAU students appear to get better training than Wright students. I know a few who have landed decent neuropsych postdocs. More research experience as well. But again, that tuition and cost of living is oppressive for anybody who does not come from a wealthy family.
There are hardly any cheap psyd programs though, especially with a neuropsych concentration

There are hardly any cheap psyd programs though, especially with a neuropsych concentration

You don't need a neuropsych concentration. Just a good program with some neuropsych training.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't fall for the marketing schemes. These are some of the worst programs in the country for what it sounds like you want to do. The concentration doesn't matter a bit. Its a marketing ploy designed to create an impression they offer specialized training in X. Usually created because they don't have any faculty worth a damn in X that would enable them to stand out, so they create a "track" instead. Not all schools with tracks are necessarily terrible, but there is a definite association.

Also - with few exceptions - generally speaking the more you are paying the worse the training is likely to be.

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah, but why compound that problem by living in an area where you would have to pay $1800/month in rent on top of the high tuition? You’ll end up having to take close to $80k in loans per year. And as someone else mentioned, there are also PsyD programs that offer funding.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is there a reason for looking for Psy.D. programs instead of Ph.D. programs? The training at reputable Psy.D. programs are similar to Ph.D. programs.

Is there a reason for looking for Psy.D. programs instead of Ph.D. programs? The training at reputable Psy.D. programs are similar to Ph.D. programs.

No reason at all. Lol JK

Idk honestly. From my perspective, I only applied to psyd programs as secondary options if I didn’t get into a PhD. Didn’t mean i would take it, I was just seeing if I would consider it

Apparently over 20% failed the EPPP last year in CA. That isn't a good sign either.

Disadvantages:
Cost
Potential stigma from program
Poor EPPP pass rates
Large cohorts

Advantages:
:confused::confused:...
maybe: its the only place I was accepted or its close to home.
These are typically not the reasons to commit years and money to a training program.

Rather not get into details since some may be on this board, but think in the world of essential oils, physical touch, sound bathing, astrology, etc...

Again, I have no knowledge of the rigor of this program's training, and do know some high quality grads. But some trends I've noticed... Could very well be personality/background of students coming into that program.

Astrology. ASTROLOGY.

wow.

As an aside, I have known so many trainees at prac sites, etc. who were really into astrology. It always boggled my mind.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Mentioning a like of astrology or the MBTI is a quick way to get unranked in my book.

Hey, I like both of those things. I might not use them in clinical contexts, but they serve a vital purpose in wasting time on the internet. And in this day and age, that is an important industry!

I feel this way about the Enneagram, which I've seen a scary amount of clinicians be really into.

I call the pseudoscientist clinicians Dr. Ozists. They're not real doctors, they're just pretending, like kindergarterners do when they play in a fake kitchen. They're not cooking, they just think they are.