About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things I Learn From My Patients

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by docB, May 2, 2003.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. ERMudPhud

ERMudPhud Back for a visit

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Turn of the snowblower before you try to manually disimpact it.
  2. EctopicFetus

EctopicFetus Keeping it funky enough

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    When crossing the US - Mexico border be cautious of the minutemen.. They (someone) fired a high powered rifle thru this guys femur!
  3. loraksus

loraksus

If you have a cyst on your face and are scheduled for surgery to get rid of it, by all means, pop it in front of a mirror, at home, with your "friend" videotaping.

Be sure to say "I swear to god, I'm not going to need the surgery" while your friends retch in the background.
    Then, wait a week - by which time you will have a fairly large staph infection taking up a quarter of your face (that's a bad thing, right?) - and take a picture.

Since you're in the younger generation, by all means, post it on the Internet. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e240c00440

This may be fairly disturbing, but I'm sure you folks have seen worse. The retching and flying pus might get to you though.

Best part of the video is the picture of the staph infection (including a good bit of swelling around his eye) at the very end. I'm no doctor, but do ya think that could of been cleared up with only antibiotics? ;)

BTW, this thread - Awesome. Sad in some parts (the wife of the burned soldier was pretty depressing)
  4. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner

Attending Physician
    Physician Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    The secondary cellulitis? Yeah. The primary lesion, without seeing it, I would venture a maybe. Usually I&D works better though (even without ABx). I can't diagnose a man I've only seen in a mirror on camera through the internet though. It would render a hole in the fabric of space.
  5. loraksus

loraksus

My recent story... (personal experience, yeah, I know I'm brilliant...)
    When doing electrical work while renovating a bathroom, make sure that your alcoholic dad turns the power back on.
    Then, after you come to an unknown number of minutes later, seated on the floor and not realizing what the hell has happened, don't bother to go and see a doctor until you break your hand 4 days later.
    ER doctors love that and will tell you that you made an extremely wise choice in not dropping by...

-----------------------
    And another... from years back while in Cadets up here in Canada (or, why my experiences at summer camp strongly influenced my decision to not to go into the military)

Not really my patient (although I did get my first aid qualification a few weeks earlier and I did tell everyone to get the hell out - having uhh, some previous experiences with chlorine gas)

By all means, when cleaning the head, pour a bit of bleach into an ammonia bottle. If it starts to get warm and starts making gas try to "put it out" with more bleach (cause, you know, it looks sort of like water and must work the same way)

Even better, do it while several people are taking a shower and in their frantic attempts to run out, one guy slips and rips his scrotum open on the shower drain.
    Do this just as I walk in to pull your dumb ass out of there so I get to see the most horrifying and emotionally scarring thing that I've ever seen at that point in my life.

-----------------------
    On a somewhat related topic...
    It's also really cool to run around with a broomstick in the shower and poke people in the behind. Especially if you get splinters in someone's derrière that requires a trip to the doc.

Getting arrested at 14 by MPs, chewed out by a extremely pissed off RSM and threatened with time in a military prison is something that everyone should experience in their early teen years.
    Oh, your parents will really appreciate that the military flew you back home on a military aircraft, especially when they get the bill for the transport and for the medical treatment of the victim.
  6. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd living life

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Ow
  7. JaySin

JaySin Junior Member

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've heard that story before.
  8. Taaki

Taaki Member

Other Health Professions Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    We had a guy come into the ER after crashing his bike into a chain link fence, his only injury was an ?avulsed? scrotum. Either way it was ripped open and his "little guy" was hanging out. The docs were verrrrrry generous with the pain meds, lol.
  9. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Removed

Owwwwwww......pardon me but DAMN. OWWWW!
  10. AngelaD

AngelaD

Soooo...I've officially spent hours here that I should have spent reading my text for class next week instead. Great stuff!!! Thanks for all who have contributed to my procrastination!! :) Now that I'm finished, I think I hear Cecil's and Henry's and Mosby's calling my name!! :sleep:
  11. mikecwru

mikecwru M.D. = Massive Debt

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Don't jerk off with a foley in place.

mike
  12. ERMudPhud

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I have to admit I'm curious. What happens if you do?
  13. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd living life

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Is it impossible to orgasm that way? Nevermind the pain, but where would the semen go? Assuming we're talking about a guy here.
  14. signomi

signomi Amongst the Gravelings

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    After your suicide attempt, check into the ED with your brother's name. No one will eeeeeever pick up on that and your brother totally will not mind.

Sticking your fingers up your butt and pulling stool out and wiping it all over your bed and everything within reach is a great new hobby. And roommates love the odor.

If the fentanyl patch isn't working well enough, just eat it.

A blood transfusion running into your arm vein can directly exit through your anus. Who knew?
  15. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Removed

Thank God.....that means I'm not the only one wondering that..... :laugh:
  16. mikecwru

mikecwru M.D. = Massive Debt

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member

You'll dislocate the foley and gum up the inside of the foley so it won't drain.

Plus, you'll provide hours of laughs for the attending ED doc on overnight.

mike
  17. Laane

Laane World viewer

Currently in Hong Kong untill feb 18th then Belgiu
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you (41 year old female) come in with terrible stomachache and you are worried that it is some cancer and we pull out a condom.. don't accuse us of planting it there..
    It's your problem if your husband doesn't use them
  18. f4nt4

f4nt4

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Or if the police drag your overdosed father into the ER combative and in cuffs, Once we call the code and pronounce him is the perfect time for the toothache/chronic back pain/carpal tunnel kids (yes, all three of them) to check in to be treated.

And hey, mom may as well get some ativan for the funeral while we're all here, right??????

(
  19. f4nt4

f4nt4

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Mine was a 38 yr old female crack addict who gave discounts for the colostomy cuz she "dont have to take my pants all off"

rural south georgia
  20. f4nt4

f4nt4

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Dont think for a minute this hasn't been considered. We in Texas believe every patient has the right to a REAL reason to visit the ER and some nights wouldn't mind giving them one.

Kinda like when dad used to say "stop whining before i give you something to cry about" i reckon
  21. f4nt4

f4nt4

SDN 2+ Year Member
    How about a co-worker with a near complete BKA from a rotary mower she lay trapped under for 3 hours. Thank God she had the fortitude to use her shredded blue jeans as a tourniquet...... Her request on arrival to ER: "can you just put some lidocaine in it for me?"
  22. f4nt4

f4nt4

SDN 2+ Year Member
    The doc's name was brown, but I dont recall the name of the book. It also highlighted the story of a lady with purple vaginal discharge. Her OB/GYN had recommended using "jelly" as a lubricant and she chose grape........ go figure
  23. loraksus

loraksus

You, uhh, may want to kind of quote the posts you're replying to, so people aren't so confused ;)
  24. ISR

ISR Junior Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [AuD/DPT/OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Are you sure that'll help? Aren't we all in a perpetual state of confusion?? :confused: :)
  25. FoughtFyr

FoughtFyr Inactive by choice

Post Doc
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    There was an issue with the servers. He/she probably did quote the post they were referring to.

- H
  26. f4nt4

f4nt4

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I actually in a (and only once) replied to a pt asking ME to tell HER why she came to the hospital sweetly replied "Hun, this is the ER, not psychic friends network"

Imagine my surprise at earning a 3 day vacation for that.......;)
  27. f4nt4

f4nt4

SDN 2+ Year Member
    My new favorite is an original that just fell out of mouth one night...
    FTI (Failure to Impress)

I have found it to be quite an effective diagnosis for a large majority of ER pts

28. f4nt4

f4nt4

SDN 2+ Year Member
    This totally does not give adequate credit to the pt with multiple abcesses who is allergic to "some kind of antibiotic"

29. f4nt4

f4nt4

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Your lady is alive and well in Texas, I see her about twice a month out here. ;) ;)

30. ISR

ISR Junior Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [AuD/DPT/OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Oh, sure. Bring all the crazy ones to TX.
  31. tiggers

tiggers

Non-Student
    And then there was the ER doc who asked me if I was "allergic to any antibiotics" -- just like that, and didn't listen to anything I said after "yes"

He stepped out of the room for a prescription pad and returned with a scrip for Erythromycin.

My response? "Yep, that's the one I'm allergic to."

The look on his face was priceless -- and yes, I know it's an uncommon allergy, but hey, I'm not allergic to ANY pain meds.
  32. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc2B2015

SDN 10+ Year Member
    I learned 3 important lessons this week:

1. do not inject heroin mixed with meth INTO YOUR PENIS because you will develop chest pain and svt. after you are converted you will rule in by enzymes

2. do not smoke WHILE SIPHONING GASOLINE WITH YOUR MOUTH
    (enough said...burn center...etc)
    the tech asked me how tightly to wrap the neck burns with silvadene impermeated gauze...my response, "tight enough that he can't reproduce"

3. if you are a hardcore alcoholic with a blood alcohol 4 times the legal limit and a head injury the best way to get service is to threaten everyone in the dept while demanding a head ct from the front door. as soon as the head ct is ordered the best way to assure a timely study and appropriate intervention is to elope from the dept without notifying anyone on staff before the study is done.also give us a fake name and address so we can't find you to tell you that you are at high risk for a subdural bleed.
  33. Rbrav

Rbrav Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    By now, we've all learned that our patients are never to blame for what they do to themselves. At least they're finally admitting it straight-up: Yesterday I saw a patient whose T-shirt read, "I am not responsible for my actions."

I wished I'd had on a T-shirt that said, "But apparently I am."
  34. membsr-8890

membsr-8890

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    ...that jumping out of a moving vehicle going 60+ mph isn't nearly as dangerous as it seems.

I've seen not one but three patients who have completed this maneauver and come out unscathed, just a few abraisions. Maybe I should give it a try...
  35. ForbiddenComma

ForbiddenComma Tanned for Bowling

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Well, if there are three things that make you happy in life, why not combine them all together? :rolleyes:
  36. SailCrazy

SailCrazy I gotta have more cowbell

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Anyone want to translate this part for those (like me) who have no idea what it means? Thanks! :)
  37. SoCuteMD

SoCuteMD

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    After your cardiac arrhythmia is corrected using an electric shock we will draw blood that shows elevated cardiac enzymes, thus proving myocardial infarction.

How's that?
  38. FoughtFyr

FoughtFyr Inactive by choice

Post Doc
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    SVT = Superventricular tachycardia (fast heart rate)
    converted = heart rate slowed by treatment with return of "normal" heart rate
    ruled in by enzymes = evidence of a heart attack by presense of specific enzymes in the blood.

The patient in question damaged his heart by taking drugs.

- H
  39. Jeff698

Jeff698 Chief Resident

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

Sometimes, though, its just worth it. I HATE it when I ask a patient how I can help them and they say "I don't know, you're the doctor".

Psychic friends network. I like it. That may be worth a day off.

Take care,
    Jeff
  40. SailCrazy

SailCrazy I gotta have more cowbell

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Thanks!:thumbup: I was lost after svt. :oops:
  41. downtownit

downtownit SDN Administrator

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
  42. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner

Attending Physician
    Physician Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    Wow. In after the lock.
  43. ERMudPhud

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Anybody know why the thread got split and locked? It wasn't even that long
  44. ForbiddenComma

ForbiddenComma Tanned for Bowling

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
  45. MirrorTodd

MirrorTodd living life

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    It looks like they're enforcing the 1k rule now. Threads that exceed 1k are getting closed. It used to be 10k.
  46. Miami_med

Miami_med Moving Far Away Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Threads that are over 1k apparently have a disproportionate impact on server speed, and they are limiting threads to 1k in order to keep the server moving quickly.
  47. emtp6811

emtp6811 iLurk

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Awesome! I'm totally going to steal this and put it in my signature!
  48. Miami_med

Miami_med Moving Far Away Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    When you are a parapalegic with a severe necrotic ulcer, flys may lay eggs in your wounds, leaving you with a maggot infestation and a free trip to the ED.
  49. emtp6811

emtp6811 iLurk

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Maybe this was a therapeutic intervention! Weren't maggots FDA approved to eat away the dead flesh because they don't eat the fresh? Cleans it out for you!:p
  50. I dunno about the FDA, but it worked for Russell Crowe in Gladiator--that's good enough for me.