USMLE Things not even mentioned in First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeesnob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is First Aid GI section really enough? It doesn't even mention major things like esophageal spasm, dumping syndrome, pseudo-obstruction, etc. Also, FA is not big on GI physiology. I am worried!

Do you think FA + pathoma + RR path will cover most of the things I need to know?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken the test yet but, from what other's have said and my own experience on qbanks. FA+Pathoma + Uworld explanations. are more than enough. I don't think there is too much to know for GI physio. Just know the GI hormones and secretions and their mechanisms. Your best bet is probably to know Cardio, pulmonary physio really well. I think those are more testable topics. As for path, just keep it simple man. what I mean by that is know everything in FA, pathoma and if any extra stuff that is mentioned in uworld. yes FA is not enough for a lot of things. But in conjunction with those 2 sources above then it comes alive. good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
There are always things that can and do appear on the test that do not appear in FA or UW (and the Robbins review question book). That said, the things in these resources are the most commonly tested (and even rarely tested), and knowing these very well (even to the exclusion of other factoids) is sufficient knowledge-wise to perform at the highest levels. I would argue that knowing these resources closely is better than using additional resources and spreading yourself thin.

In terms of physio, the test tends to focus more on cards, renal, and pulm as mentioned above. Hormone secretion with regards to fasting and food intake is one of the more common GI physio questions, gastrinoma/ZES pathophys is also always tested. Acid/base in the context of GI disturbances is guaranteed to be on your test, probably several times.

Last edited:
Is First Aid GI section really enough? It doesn't even mention major things like esophageal spasm, dumping syndrome, pseudo-obstruction, etc. Also, FA is not big on GI physiology. I am worried!

Do you think FA + pathoma + RR path will cover most of the things I need to know?

Enough to pass, otherwise FA wouldn't be so successful.

Reactions: 1 user