Things/people that bother/annoy me in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why don't I ever get free food at these meetings? We have 30 minute meetings at lunch and I have never received food. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't I ever get free food at these meetings? We have 30 minute meetings at lunch and I have never received food. :(

They don't give us food at certain meetings if they think it's going to be a short meeting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just hate school, period. Its only a means to an end. I am not having fun studying, yet I need a job and some way to pay off some bills.

I hate it when professors give pop quizzes at the beginning of class. Give them AFTER the lecture. That way you're not screwed if you are usually late to class.

Maybe that's their point. I definitely had professors who gave quizzes at the beginning of lecture for that very reason. People made sure they were on time or they didn't get credit for the quiz.

Bah, it's a piss poor reason.

Counterpoint: I often have to leave class 30 minutes early during a break because I have to get to my volunteer nonsense that they make us do. I appreciate the quizzes early because then I can actually take them and not miss points.

Also, your professors aren't dumb, and know that if they're giving a quiz at the end of the class, at the very least half the class is studying for the quiz instead of listening to them. And that's not including the 30% originally that wasn't listening anyways.

Counterpoint: I often have to leave class 30 minutes early during a break because I have to get to my volunteer nonsense that they make us do. I appreciate the quizzes early because then I can actually take them and not miss points.

Also, your professors aren't dumb, and know that if they're giving a quiz at the end of the class, at the very least half the class is studying for the quiz instead of listening to them. And that's not including the 30% originally that wasn't listening anyways.

If they are just reading off slides, why bother listening anyway.

I don't have any complain about my school. I learnt to cope with whatever situation I am given. But if there is one thing I would complain is that a few individuals in my class do not appreciate the position they have as pharmacist student, they do not study and only aim to pass with 70%. There are 2 students who are going to leave the school for the reasons such as lack of interest in pharmacy, another is leaving the school for the guy that she just met and fell in love. I would thank to them if they decided to do that before pharmacy school, and let those 2 positions for people who want to be in pharmacy school. It really irritates my eyes to see things like this happen, but in the end it is non of my business to involve in their personal life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just hate school, period. Its only a means to an end. I am not having fun studying, yet I need a job and some way to pay off some bills.

When you get out, you will realize that "real world" isn't all it was made out to be and will wish you were back in school and life were as simple as studying for the next exam again. :laugh:

When you get out, you will realize that "real world" isn't all it was made out to be and will wish you were back in school and life were as simple as studying for the next exam again. :laugh:

I've heard from a retail pharmacist who is a teacher at school say "you guys think you've been out in the real world, but you don't know what the real world is. You don't realize what it's like out there until it's your butt is on the line. :laugh:

I've heard from a retail pharmacist who is a teacher at school say "you guys think you've been out in the real world, but you don't know what the real world is. You don't realize what it's like out there until it's your butt is on the line. :laugh:
Trust me, it's even scarier in the corporate jungle (as I have done both).

I remember my two best friends and myself at graduation, clutching our diplomas and saying that the school was so desperate to finally kick us out, they had to give us the highest degree in the field, as we wouldn't leave until we absolutely had to. :D

Trust me, it's even scarier in the corporate jungle (as I have done both).

I remember my two best friends and myself at graduation, clutching our diplomas and saying that the school was so desperate to finally kick us out, they had to give us the highest degree in the field, as we wouldn't leave until we absolutely had to. :D

Is it any better when you get to be the District Manager or the Regional Manager?

Or just a pharmacy manager?

Being in college is awesome, the experience should be cherished. So you have to study a ton? Pop your feet up and turn on the ipod.... Big deal! You still get to hang out with your friends all the time and have no real responsibilities!

How I miss the days of didactic coursework....

And I'm tired of people assuming students don't know what the real world is... Not everyone started college at 18.

Blah to pharmacy school. That's how I'm feeling after this last semester. I still want to be a pharmacist (mostly), but I'm hating school and the bs. Also, I'm down about getting my first C. Maybe that's why I'm hating it. :p I'm upset over it, but I'm trying to move on and learn from my mistakes. I still enjoy some of it, but I just think school could run more efficiently if you take out the all the stupid unnecessary things.

Blah to pharmacy school. That's how I'm feeling after this last semester. I still want to be a pharmacist (mostly), but I'm hating school and the bs. Also, I'm down about getting my first C. Maybe that's why I'm hating it. :p I'm upset over it, but I'm trying to move on and learn from my mistakes. I still enjoy some of it, but I just think school could run more efficiently if you take out the all the stupid unnecessary things.

Like what?

Like what?

There are some classes in pharmacy school that I found completely unnecessary. I know we're supposed to have these classes to make us well rounded pharmacists, but I think it comes off as more as filler and busy work.

I think about half the classes I had this first year was extremely unnecessary. A part of me feels it would be better to cut these classes and spend more time interacting with patients/being on rotations longer. Maybe I'll look back on these classes and feel that they helped me professionally, but I doubt it.

There are some classes in pharmacy school that I found completely unnecessary. I know we're supposed to have these classes to make us well rounded pharmacists, but I think it comes off as more as filler and busy work.

I think about half the classes I had this first year was extremely unnecessary. A part of me feels it would be better to cut these classes and spend more time interacting with patients/being on rotations longer. Maybe I'll look back on these classes and feel that they helped me professionally, but I doubt it.

Some of the intro-level pharmaceutical sciences are necessary.

But classes like communications, us healthcare system for pharmacists, intro to nuclear pharm, maybe not so much. Some of them tend to get boring.

I agree about the patient interactions and the rotations. That's probably my favorite part of school :)

We had a patient counseling competition at our school, and I was the only first-year student to do it. People in my class we're like "you're very brave." :laugh: The P2s and P3s also talked about how difficult it can be to compete as a P1, but I did it. I could see why they would think it was difficult for a P1 to compete.

Some of the intro-level pharmaceutical sciences are necessary.

But classes like communications, us healthcare system for pharmacists, intro to nuclear pharm, maybe not so much. Some of them tend to get boring.

I agree about the patient interactions and the rotations. That's probably my favorite part of school :)

We had a patient counseling competition at our school, and I was the only first-year student to do it. People in my class we're like "you're very brave." :laugh: The P2s and P3s also talked about how difficult it can be to compete as a P1, but I did it. I could see why they would think it was difficult for a P1 to compete.

I found the intro-level pharmaceutical sciences necessary and very interesting, and I also like my communications class. I think it helped me a lot to open up and try to improve my public speaking skills, but a lot of the other classes we've had at my school felt so useless.

I'm not the type of person to easily dismiss things as unnecessary, and I try to find the benefit in almost everything, but a lot of the classes I've had left me scratching my head trying to figure out the point. I think a lot of my classmates agreed with me too.

Good job on participating in the counseling competition! I signed up to do it, but I felt unprepared because we had a lot of exams coming up, so I didn't do it. I plan to do the clinical skills competition and the counseling one this coming up school year. I enjoy doing things like that. I find that they are very useful and gives you practice. :)

for #1, if you cant hear the question the student in the front row is asking, then why the hell are you not in the front row??? You must enjoy the talking if you are not making any effort to remove yourself from them

for #2, I think its unfair for you to say that you studied more than they did and thus deserve a better grade. How do you know that you studied more than they did, were you there with them? Maybe they tell you they are going to fail this test so you feel better about how well prepared you are, or maybe they studied a lot and still dont feel prepared but eventually they find out that their hard work paid off. You know in pharmacy school it is not always easy to gage how much studying is required to pass or get a certain grade.

#3 well if you can guess on so many without understanding anything and ace it why couldn't you do it??? And if you understand the material much more why are you not doing as well as those who didnt understand the material? You just sound bitter at this point

#4, with the volume of material that is thrown at you in pharmacy school I dont think it is at all unreasonable to ask more direct questions about what will be expected of them on the exam. Also, perhaps this is one of the reasons you are not doing as well as those referenced in #s 2 and 3 above.

#5, all I can say is this happens to the best of us

I find it funny that you complain about things that you know you can easily make better by sitting more towards the front, yet you refuse to do it. I think this says more about you than it does about those you complain about

for #1, if you cant hear the question the student in the front row is asking, then why the hell are you not in the front row??? You must enjoy the talking if you are not making any effort to remove yourself from them

for #2, I think its unfair for you to say that you studied more than they did and thus deserve a better grade. How do you know that you studied more than they did, were you there with them? Maybe they tell you they are going to fail this test so you feel better about how well prepared you are, or maybe they studied a lot and still dont feel prepared but eventually they find out that their hard work paid off. You know in pharmacy school it is not always easy to gage how much studying is required to pass or get a certain grade.

#3 well if you can guess on so many without understanding anything and ace it why couldn't you do it??? And if you understand the material much more why are you not doing as well as those who didnt understand the material? You just sound bitter at this point

#4, with the volume of material that is thrown at you in pharmacy school I dont think it is at all unreasonable to ask more direct questions about what will be expected of them on the exam. Also, perhaps this is one of the reasons you are not doing as well as those referenced in #s 2 and 3 above.

#5, all I can say is this happens to the best of us

I find it funny that you complain about things that you know you can easily make better by sitting more towards the front, yet you refuse to do it. I think this says more about you than it does about those you complain about

Try losing close friends you once had when you move to the front of the class. Most people don't stick around as soon as class gets out and you don't see them until the next day.

with #3, it's like you're saying if you know you can win the lottery by guessing, why don't you win?

The front of the classroom tends to be almost completely filled. So even if I did move, it would just be two rows towards the front out of 10~12 rows in class.

Try losing close friends you once had when you move to the front of the class. Most people don't stick around as soon as class gets out and you don't see them until the next day.

with #3, it's like you're saying if you know you can win the lottery by guessing, why don't you win?

The front of the classroom tends to be almost completely filled. So even if I did move, it would just be two rows towards the front out of 10~12 rows in class.

What difference is it going to make if you see them in class or not? You're not going to get a chance to interact with them anyways. If they are close friends, then I'm sure you have other ways of interacting with each other.

What difference is it going to make if you see them in class or not? You're not going to get a chance to interact with them anyways. If they are close friends, then I'm sure you have other ways of interacting with each other.

Yeah, our school provided us with a G-mail based e-mail system, thus almost everyone is on GChat.

Yeah, our school provided us with a G-mail based e-mail system, thus almost everyone is on GChat.

Same here. It's so much of a distraction though. We chat all through class and sometimes try the webcam feature. :laugh:

I'm going to be moving to the front this fall and not signing on to gmail during class. :D

Yeah, but some of my close friends are married, and they tend to tell me that they don't want to leave their spouses and kids (if they have them) at home just to hang out.

I've gone over to hang out with them before, but it was only once this year. But there were like two other couples there too so it was more like just hanging out with a small group from class.

Yeah, but some of my close friends are married, and they tend to tell me that they don't want to leave their spouses and kids (if they have them) at home just to hang out.

I've gone over to hang out with them before, but it was only once this year. But there were like two other couples there too so it was more like just hanging out with a small group from class.

They probably aren't really your close friends, then...

They probably aren't really your close friends, then...

They're the closest friends I have in pharmacy school. I know other people in class, but we're just not that close.

You know, to the point of telling each other secrets and gossiping about classmates :laugh: