Things to do during high school for medicine

lacrosse2491

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some things I can do to learn medicine and things related to surgery during high school? For example, watching surgeries on youtube, sutchering kits, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

One great thing I did was become an Eagle Scout; I learned so much, made so many friends, and helped out a local zoo. That is an accomplishment that I will proudly take to my medical school application in May.

I also shadowed my ENT for a few days. That was an excellent experience. I would highly recommend finding a doctor to shadow as this will tell you if this is really what you want to do.

Volunteering is great too! I didn't do any hospital-related volunteering just yet, but in general, it is a great way to give back to your community!

Most importantly, get good grades and learn as much as you can! Take advantage of as many AP/IB/College level courses as possible as this will give you a head start when you get to a university. Also, I earned a 4 on my AP Chem exam which gave me credit for an intro chem class at UW-Madison, which some (?) medical schools will accept as satisfying one of two gen chem course prerequisites.

Stay motivated! I know it seems like you're a lifetime away from applying, but hang in there. I felt that way for a long time and still do, even with my application cycle beginning next year!

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What are some things I can do to learn medicine and things related to surgery during high school? For example, watching surgeries on youtube, sutchering kits, etc.

Read house if god and arrowsmith and complications. That's plenty until you reach college. Youtube has as many bad surgical resources as good, and you are in a bad position to tell which is which, so avoid. Don't try to self teach suturing. You will be forever fighting to forget all the bad habits you pick up if you don't learn it right the first time.

yea pretty much nothing you do in highschool has any effect for med school.. just get into a good college.. if anything, i'd say shadow some physician to start to get an idea what it's like to be a doctor

Things that will better prepare you for a career in surgery than "watching surgeries on youtube, sutchering kits, etc.":

#1 Get a girlfriend/boyfriend.
#2 Get a job doing something that you enjoy doing and do it well.
#3 Find an interest, be it volunteering/research/hobby/activity that you really enjoy and invest in it and yourself.
#4 Figure out if you REALLY want to invest 15 years of your life training for your job post high school. (Shadow)

Surprise surprise, all of the above (minus #1) are the core of what applications look for when applying to medical school.

Reactions: 3 users