Think very wisely before choosing pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's okay, students who go the the well-established schools will be the ones who find jobs ( I hope) and everyone who thinks they can mess around, get low grades, and get into an unaccredited school will be in for a surprise once they graduate. I don't know this for sure and I may be a little ignorant, but I have zero respect for anyone willing to go to a newly opened school. They are contributing a lot to the saturation of pharmacy because obviously the schools aren't gonna stop opening - it is up to applicants to place a certain burden on themselves to go to a better pharmacy school.
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

380300_405125269539080_1445362991_n.jpg

Meh.

It's okay, students who go the the well-established schools will be the ones who find jobs ( I hope) and everyone who thinks they can mess around, get low grades, and get into an unaccredited school will be in for a surprise once they graduate. I don't know this for sure and I may be a little ignorant, but I have zero respect for anyone willing to go to a newly opened school. They are contributing a lot to the saturation of pharmacy because obviously the schools aren't gonna stop opening - it is up to applicants to place a certain burden on themselves to go to a better pharmacy school.

This is some big talk from a pre-pharmacy student with low PCAT scores who hasn't even been admitted anywhere... Humility is something that will serve you well in life. You should try it.

Would it surprise you to know that established schools expanding their class sizes and starting branch campus have contributed MORE to the increased number of graduates than new schools? Shocking, I know. New schools are an easy target, but definitely not the sum total of the problem.

And you're mistaken if you think the current employment conditions don't affect students at established schools. They most certainly do, as posts on this forum and the pharmacy forum prove.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is some big talk from a pre-pharmacy student with low PCAT scores who hasn't even been admitted anywhere... Humility is something that will serve you well in life. You should try it.

Would it surprise you to know that established schools expanding their class sizes and starting branch campus have contributed MORE to the increased number of graduates than new schools? Shocking, I know. New schools are an easy target, but definitely not the sum total of the problem.

And you're mistaken if you think the current employment conditions don't affect students at established schools. They most certainly do, as posts on this forum and the pharmacy forum prove.
I have plenty of humility. Since you may be pretty informed of my background, you might know that I worked construction starting when I was 15 years old. I was a teenager getting up at 5am and working until 2pm during my summers. I did not spend a single paycheck and by the time I was 18 I had enough to by my own car. I want you to imagine that - I'm working with MEN. They all come from bad backgrounds and don't give a hoot whether I am doing the right thing or not. My boss is always mad and finds it convenient to pick on the green guy at work because all he's trying to do is learn how to cut a pipe so that both sides come off clean and not with rough edges. Today, I work 30 hours a week in addition to volunteering. A low PCAT is due to a lack of time to study. I see that you're doing it all for your daughter, well guess what, oh mature one, I'm doing it all for my parents: I'm doing it so that my dad doesn't have to work two jobs and my mom not to cry over how she wanted to be the one to buy me a car instead of me doing it for myself. I've been through a lot, but I only want what I deserve, and when people who don't have impressive resumes go to pharmacy schools and think they can easily coast through it, that bothers me. I don't want to seem like I'm bashing you or anything, but I want to defend myself to your assumption that I need humility.

In response to your information about established schools increasing their class sizes, I think that that type of thing is supposed to be expected. I'm not saying that new schools are the only bad guys here - every pharmacy school sees the profit in accepting more students. I just think that if there aren't going to be any regulations set on how many pharmacy schools are opening, then it's up to applicants in order to realize that this many pharmacy schools isn't a good thing. It's kind of like people not flushing public toilets after they use them - one person not flushing makes everyone think it is okay to do so, but the people who actually flush toilets despise the ignorance of the community of urinaters. lol

Although pharmacy is a dream job for some here, sometimes dreams don't put a roof over your head and that iswhat concerns me the most. Oh yeah and the ridiculous debt too. You can't forget about that.

Those who consider pharmacy a "dream job" probably lack real world experience.

It's kind of like people not flushing public toilets after they use them - one person not flushing makes everyone think it is okay to do so, but the people who actually flush toilets despise the ignorance of the community of urinaters. lol

Interesting analogy there... :laugh:

I have plenty of humility. Since you may be pretty informed of my background, you might know that I worked construction starting when I was 15 years old. I was a teenager getting up at 5am and working until 2pm during my summers. I did not spend a single paycheck and by the time I was 18 I had enough to by my own car. I want you to imagine that - I'm working with MEN. They all come from bad backgrounds and don't give a hoot whether I am doing the right thing or not. My boss is always mad and finds it convenient to pick on the green guy at work because all he's trying to do is learn how to cut a pipe so that both sides come off clean and not with rough edges. Today, I work 30 hours a week in addition to volunteering. A low PCAT is due to a lack of time to study. I see that you're doing it all for your daughter, well guess what, oh mature one, I'm doing it all for my parents: I'm doing it so that my dad doesn't have to work two jobs and my mom not to cry over how she wanted to be the one to buy me a car instead of me doing it for myself. I've been through a lot, but I only want what I deserve, and when people who don't have impressive resumes go to pharmacy schools and think they can easily coast through it, that bothers me. I don't want to seem like I'm bashing you or anything, but I want to defend myself to your assumption that I need humility.

In response to your information about established schools increasing their class sizes, I think that that type of thing is supposed to be expected. I'm not saying that new schools are the only bad guys here - every pharmacy school sees the profit in accepting more students. I just think that if there aren't going to be any regulations set on how many pharmacy schools are opening, then it's up to applicants in order to realize that this many pharmacy schools isn't a good thing. It's kind of like people not flushing public toilets after they use them - one person not flushing makes everyone think it is okay to do so, but the people who actually flush toilets despise the ignorance of the community of urinaters. lol

Good anecdotes. So, if you can't get into an established school, you aren't going to go to pharmacy school? You'll avoid newly established schools on principle? You'll give up your dream to avoid harming the profession? Very noble. Misguided, I think. But noble.

I didn't make any assumptions about your background and motivations. I just read this thread where you're talking big about new schools and think it's ironic that your PCAT scores might leave you with fewer options at more established schools... But, if you are good to your word and will stay away from newer schools even if it means not becoming a pharmacist, maybe I didn't give you enough credit.

BTW, my daughter is deceased and therefore, irrelevant to this discussion.

Those who consider pharmacy a "dream job" probably lack real world experience.

I work for 15 dollars an hour with a BS in biochemistry and an objectively impressive resume. I take no pride in my corporate cubicle job and want a career i can be proud of. Even with the debt i will make more money. I will actually use my background in science to help people and i love learning the material.

So yeah, some people with real world experience do consider it a dream job.

Shame on you for assuming everyone ignorantly pursues becoming a pharmacist.:thumbdown:

No need to state the new 300000 schools open up, and lack of new stores/hospital being built... This should be pretty simple.

1. Look at how many complain that pharmacy field is saturated vs MD... just check the forum, is there anyone who has an MD posted repeatedly "I can NOT get a job!!!!"? This alone should make you know OP does not lie/BSing you.
  2. No sign on bonus is being offered anymore. I got $30k when I graduated... now? No one gets them
  3. No cold call... I used to get 1 cold call a week from another competitor to switch company... now... 0
  4. Scheduler begs staff pharmacists to take a day off here and there to give full time floaters hours because they can't find them enough hours. Before all this chit, they beg us to pick extra shifts
  5. Another fact that all retails effectively do not sponsor H1B visa anymore tells you only one thing. They have tons of US qualified applicants to work as a pharmacist. Why do you need to hire someone abroad with a language barrier when you can get MANY US graduate pharmacists?
You can sugarcoated it all you want to make you feel better inside but a reasonable man should be able to deduct that pharmacy field is getting increasingly NOT as secure as they think it would be.

No need to state the new 300000 schools open up, and lack of new stores/hospital being built... This should be pretty simple.

1. Look at how many complain that pharmacy field is saturated vs MD... just check the forum, is there anyone who has an MD posted repeatedly "I can NOT get a job!!!!"? This alone should make you know OP does not lie/BSing you.
  2. No sign on bonus is being offered anymore. I got $30k when I graduated... now? No one gets them
  3. No cold call... I used to get 1 cold call a week from another competitor to switch company... now... 0
  4. Scheduler begs staff pharmacists to take a day off here and there to give full time floaters hours because they can't find them enough hours. Before all this chit, they beg us to pick extra shifts
  5. Another fact that all retails effectively do not sponsor H1B visa anymore tells you only one thing. They have tons of US qualified applicants to work as a pharmacist. Why do you need to hire someone abroad with a language barrier when you can get MANY US graduate pharmacists?
You can sugarcoated it all you want to make you feel better inside but a reasonable man should be able to deduct that pharmacy field is getting increasingly NOT as secure as they think it would be.

Well said momus, however you always will get some know it all on here telling everyone that if they are talented, prepared to relocate, work hard, get good grades yada, yada, yada they will be guaranteed a job, but trust me there are going to be a lot of talented, prepared to relocate, work hard, get good grades yada, yada, yada new PharmD's over the next few years who will not get employment as a RPh, I am not saying this to troll, I am saying this because it is a tragedy which has blighted our once proud profession, and yes it is affecting other professions too. I am just glad I was born in my generation, I really fear for the next generation about to leave school in the near future.

Well said momus, however you always will get some know it all on here telling everyone that if they are talented, prepared to relocate, work hard, get good grades yada, yada, yada they will be guaranteed a job, but trust me there are going to be a lot of talented, prepared to relocate, work hard, get good grades yada, yada, yada new PharmD's over the next few years who will not get employment as a RPh, I am not saying this to troll, I am saying this because it is a tragedy which has blighted our once proud profession, and yes it is affecting other professions too. I am just glad I was born in my generation, I really fear for the next generation about to leave school in the near future.
Is that why people join the military as a pharmacist?

I feel bad for the Canadians that went to go study in the states as international students, working 2x as hard, paying 2x the tuition (with little or no government support) and then ending up jobless.

Members don't see this ad :)

What you are saying is 100% true...the problem will keep on getting worst till there are no jobs period. The class of 2012 was hit pretty badly but some could still find jobs....lets just hope the class of 2013 (my class) have some hope as well....*sigh* I know later classes will have no hope...lets just hope the class of 2013 still have *SOME* hope. :xf:

For the people just entering the profession now that will be the class of 2016, 2017, 2018 etc. and beyond....those are already hopeless cases. If 2012 was hit so bad with 20%+ unemployment....I would hate to see the unemployment rate for the class of 2016...might be like 90%.

People go into pharmacy b/c they think it's very easy money.

It's six figures for very little work or very easy work so they decide to go into it.

People don't care what schools they attend b/c they ALL think that they can just coast through pharmacy school...be as lazy as possible and then come out and be as lazy as possible and make six figures.

The saturation is mostly due to:
1) No regulations of schools opening up....and ALL schools want to make a profit and sell their diplomas to anyone with a pulse.
2) People view pharmacy as easy money. Most people see pharmacy as EASY six figures and think they can make six figures without working at all. That's the REASON why there are so many people applying to pharmacy school...it's a gate to free six figure salary for life. LOL...

AllForMyDaughter is 100% right. No one will just not go into pharmacy if they got into a bad school...b/c their attitude is...who cares? PharmD=Free six figure salary for life! YAY! That's the reason why schools are opening faster than bacteria replication and people are still willing to pay 200K+ for pharmacy! Until the image of pharmacy changes from "free easy money" there will always be people dumb enough to apply for it.

Last edited:
People go into pharmacy b/c they think it's very easy money.

It's six figures for very little work or very easy work so they decide to go into it.

People don't care what schools they attend b/c they ALL think that they can just coast through pharmacy school...be as lazy as possible and then come out and be as lazy as possible and make six figures.

The saturation is mostly due to:
1) No regulations of schools opening up....and ALL schools want to make a profit and sell their diplomas to anyone with a pulse.
2) People view pharmacy as easy money. Most people see pharmacy as EASY six figures and think they can make six figures without working at all. That's the REASON why there are so many people applying to pharmacy school...it's a gate to free six figure salary for life. LOL...

AllForMyDaughter is 100% right. No one will just not go into pharmacy if they got into a bad school...b/c their attitude is...who cares? PharmD=Free six figure salary for life! YAY! That's the reason why schools are opening faster than bacteria replication and people are still willing to pay 200K+ for pharmacy! Until the image of pharmacy changes from "free easy money" there will always be people dumb enough to apply for it.

It's not THAT easy any more, heh. Working conditions have been hindered due to lack of funding in the organization/company, staffing cuts, increased regulation and paperwork, work & environment overload, increased patient aggression, etc.

It's not THAT easy any more, heh. Working conditions have been hindered due to lack of funding in the organization/company, staffing cuts, increased regulation and paperwork, work & environment overload, increased patient aggression, etc.

I know. Pharmacy is one of the most stressful jobs out there and the job security sucks just as much as any other job AND on top of that looking for a job is harder than most jobs AND WORST OF ALL most jobs don't come with student loans but pharmacy does! So yes, I know it. Pharmacy sucks pretty bad.

However, the general public still do NOT understand the above ^. LOL....That's why so many people are still dumb enough to apply for pharmacy!

If I tell someone I am a pharmacy student, most people are a like "OMG, they make a lot of money and have a easy job don't they?" Or "OMG, you gonna be so rich!" Or "Pharmacy is a great profession jobs are very easy to find!" I will respond with "no jobs use to be easy to find but now it's harder than most jobs." And the response will be "Are you sure? I thought pharmacists find jobs very easily?" Well, they are wrong. Pharmacy USE TO find jobs easily...now it's harder to find a job and you have debt on top of that.

NO ONE ever thinks of that of course....the image of pharmacy to the average Joe is still EASY MONEY with NO WORK. :rolleyes: So people are still applying to pharmacy school for that reason.

The day people actually get SMART and realize there are a million easier ways to make six figures than to do pharmacy is the day that pharmacy schools start losing applicants and start closing down....

But getting people SMART is very hard around here. :laugh:

Can someone shed light on the scenario in Arkansas. Is the future of pharmacy so bleak as presented in this thread? I plan to apply to UAMS pharmacy school in 2013.

There is a sense that getting into an "unknown school" means you will get a bad job and that has NEVER been the case in pharmacy or medicine. Sure no supreme court justice has ever graduated from UT-Arlington, UCSF, or Florida Atlantic...they graduate from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc. But pharmacy isn't like that.

The day people actually get SMART

I sometimes wonder if that day will ever come...probably not within our life times.

Even if there were zero jobs out there, people would still go as long as the schools exist and tell them that there are jobs.

Build it and they will come! lmao

proof: pharmacy technician schools

The day people actually get SMART and realize there are a million easier ways to make six figures than to do pharmacy is the day that pharmacy schools start losing applicants and start closing down....

You could drop out and persue one of those easier routes anytime you know. Until then I cannot take you seriously. If there are a million easier ways to make 6 figures, do one of those. :thumbup:

Hey, list me 3 ways to make six figures please. I am coming from a business family, and I would like to hear

Oh wait, I forgot to say please don't advice me to go to medicine or dentistry because those two professions aren't easier than pharmacy

Like the guy who kept building waggon wheels as he watched the new model T Fords speed by his store on the new highway. Eventually he was gone with the wind :-o

You could drop out and persue one of those easier routes anytime you know. Until then I cannot take you seriously. If there are a million easier ways to make 6 figures, do one of those. :thumbup:

I most likely will no matter what. I do not see myself working the same job for more than a few years and not get super bored or annoyed. Pharmacy is one way to make six figures, but there are millions of other ways to do so. Pharmacy use to be a more secure way of making it, but now it is not.

Hey, list me 3 ways to make six figures please. I am coming from a business family, and I would like to hear

Oh wait, I forgot to say please don't advice me to go to medicine or dentistry because those two professions aren't easier than pharmacy

1) Pharmaceutical Sales rep. I was offered a position before I started pharmacy school. They don't start at six figures, but they do get there pretty quickly if you are good at sales. My parents wanted me to become a doctor very badly and tried many ways to force me into medical school. I finally compromised with pharmacy school...if it wasn't for them I would be doing sales right now.

2) Marry rich. This is not a joke. My friend never went to college and her life is much better than mine. People can be haters and wish those folks bad luck. But hey, her life is better than 99% of people so haters will always hate. :laugh: Of course you have to be hot to do this...if you aren't then #2 ain't gonna work for you.

3) PA-again not a bad idea. It's much shorter than pharmacy school and the job security is very good and you can easily land a job. Of course they require like 1000+ hours of working in a office before applying, but that to me is no big deal. If you want job security and six figures this isn't a bad route. To me getting 1000 hrs isn't that hard at all.

4) Dentistry is a much better field than pharmacy if you don't mind blood of course! If you don't mind blood and you are good with your hands you gotta be an idiot to not go into dentistry. You make 3X the salary of a pharmacist and it takes the same amount of time to get the degree.

5) I wish went into marketing or some sort of business...yes people bitch about the bad economy all the time...but who cares...the job is much better than working retail/getting a drive thru. I rather be a market director or an hedge fund anaylst or do some sort of investment than health care.

6) Commerical real estate- notice I said COMMERICAL...this isn't selling private houses.

7) Own some restaurants. My family owns restaurants and they make good money. Yes, the hours are long but it's is a option for those that want to make 6 or 7 figures. If we are only talking about money here than this is a valid option to make 6 figures a year.

8) Open some nail salons...I know someone that does that and she makes much more than a pharmacist.

9) Own a dry cleaning place. My mother's friend owns one and she makes very good money.

10) Become a patent examiner. My best friend's husband does that and they do very well. She goes shopping 10X more than I do. :rolleyes:

There are many more ways hence why there are many rich people out there and most aren't pharmacists! :laugh: There are many people with very good lifes and live very well and they are not pharmacist or haven't even went to college. My best friend Annie is a perfect example. She is in Vegas right now with her husband. Their nanny is watching the baby. She just text me some pictures this morning. I do NOT see the attraction of pharmacy after seeing her pictures everytime she goes on her vacations. I think with the way pharmacy is looking...I'll just do #2 myself and forget about this job hunting BS. It's just too bad I didn't figure this out earlier...Annie dated her husband since she was 18 yo. I am getting in on a late start.

Last edited:
I most likely will no matter what. I do not see myself working the same job for more than a few years and not get super bored or annoyed. Pharmacy is one way to make six figures, but there are millions of other ways to do so. Pharmacy use to be a more secure way of making it, but now it is not.

1) Pharmaceutical Sales rep. I was offered a position before I started pharmacy school. They don't start at six figures, but they do get there pretty quickly if you are good at sales. My parents wanted me to become a doctor very badly and tried many ways to force me into medical school. I finally compromised with pharmacy school...if it wasn't for them I would be doing sales right now.

This is a joke, right?

2) Marry rich. This is not a joke. My friend never went to college and her life is much better than mine. People can be haters and wish those folks bad luck. But hey, her life is better than 99% of people so haters will always hate. :laugh: Of course you have to be hot to do this...if you aren't then #2 ain't gonna work for you.

SMH :sleep:

3) PA-again not a bad idea. It's much shorter than pharmacy school and the job security is very good and you can easily land a job. Of course they require like 1000+ hours of working in a office before applying, but that to me is no big deal. If you want job security and six figures this isn't a bad route. To me getting 1000 hrs isn't that hard at all.

Not easier

4) Dentistry is a much better field than pharmacy if you don't mind blood of course! If you don't mind blood and you are good with your hands you gotta be an idiot to not go into dentistry. You make 3X the salary of a pharmacist and it takes the same amount of time to get the degree.

Not easier

5) I wish went into marketing or some sort of business...yes people bitch about the bad economy all the time...but who cares...the job is much better than working retail/getting a drive thru. I rather be a market director or an hedge fund anaylst or do some sort of investment than health care.

I cannot tell you how many of my friends have lost their jobs in this exact field. Some are now working as assistants, at Starbucks, or still jobless.

6) Commerical real estate- notice I said COMMERICAL...this isn't selling private houses.

Very hard work and cannot be done anywhere/everywhere.

7) Own some restaurants. My family owns restaurants and they make good money. Yes, the hours are long but it's is a option for those that want to make 6 or 7 figures. If we are only talking about money here than this is a valid option to make 6 figures a year.

Not easier

8) Open some nail salons...I know someone that does that and she makes much more than a pharmacist.

Good luck with that.

9) Own a dry cleaning place. My mother's friend owns one and she makes very good money.

Possibly, I do not know much about that.

10) Become a patent examiner. My best friend's husband does that and they do very well. She goes shopping 10X more than I do. :rolleyes:

Cool, not really sure how this would make 100k+ though.

There are many more ways hence why there are many rich people out there and most aren't pharmacists! :laugh: There are many people with very good lifes and live very well and they are not pharmacist or haven't even went to college. My best friend Annie is a perfect example. She is in Vegas right now with her husband. Their nanny is watching the baby. She just text me some pictures this morning. I do NOT see the attraction of pharmacy after seeing her pictures everytime she goes on her vacations. I think with the way pharmacy is looking...I'll just do #2 myself and forget about this job hunting BS. It's just too bad I didn't figure this out earlier...Annie dated her husband since she was 18 yo. I am getting in on a late start.

You're a joke.

I'm going to open a nail salon called "Beautiful Nail" :D

There are many more ways hence why there are many rich people out there and most aren't pharmacists! :laugh:

Ya I have to agree with you. Let me add a few more for you.

11) Be a computer programmer. You make lots of money, and the startup is easy. I know this guy he made billions! I think his name is Bill something.

12) Be an Engineer. My friend who graduated the same year as me already bought a house, and is on his way to buying a second house. He won several design contests in the aircraft field, and immediately got an offer right after he graduated. I mean if he can do it, I can do it too! (But you have to be smart)

13) Start a social networking service, My friend's neighbor's brother's boss started his own social network service in Harvard. Now he is a rich man. True Story!

You're a joke.

And you're an idiot if you still think pharmacy equals easy six figures after 20+ pharmacists on here telling you otherwise. If anything else read Momus's post. She really knows what she is talking about and she doesn't have a good thing to say about pharmacy...but you go ahead and believe whatever you want. LOL...

I guess you will just have to find out after you graduate and can't find a job. No need for me to tell you now. You will know in 4 years when your dream of being on Forbes list is actually more on the unemployment list. LOL...

I'm going to open a nail salon called "Beautiful Nail" :D

They really do make very good money...but most people on here are 18 yo naive pre-pharmers that think pharmacy is the easiest way to make it on Forbes list...so I just let them believe what they want to believe.

And you're an idiot if you still think pharmacy equals easy six figures after 20+ pharmacists on here telling you otherwise.

I guess you will just have to find out after you graduate and can't find a job. No need for me to tell you now. You will know in 4 years.

Did I say that? Nope.

Go have mommy pay more of your bills. Get back to me when you experience the real world.

Please start ending your posts w "in Atlanta" from now on since it's well know that it's one of the top 3 saturated cities in the States.

I love this thread. The more I read and realize these are the people with whom I'll be competing for a job in a few years, the better I feel about my future.

I don't know man. You should talk to those pple in nail salons, restaurant owners, etc ... to see whats the real situation. I can say the same thing to you that my pharmacist owns 2 retail stores (true story) and hes doing quiet well - although he did say to me finding a job in pharmacy would not be easy in the future.

I think that if you can find a job as a pharmacist, then you are guaranteed 90-100k/year.

I love this thread. The more I read and realize these are the people with whom I'll be competing for a job in a few years, the better I feel about my future.

I know, right? :laugh:

A FEW YEARS? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: WOW some people on here are very delusional...if you are in the class of 2012 and MAYBE 2013...then sure you will have to fight for the jobs that's left as many are going away FAST....but in a few years? :laugh: In a few years you don't have to worry...it's kinda hard to fight for something that's no longer there. LOL...

I don't know man. You should talk to those pple in nail salons, restaurant owners, etc ... to see whats the real situation. I can say the same thing to you that my pharmacist owns 2 retail stores (true story) and hes doing quiet well - although he did say to me finding a job in pharmacy would not be easy in the future.

My family are restaurant owners and my mom's friend owns 4 nail salons. I know the situation. Of course the pharmacist that were around 10+ years ago are doing well...back then pharmacy was doing well...but not so much now as I mentioned already. Yes, 10 years ago it was great and I am sure that pharmacist is doing well. I believe you.

My point is there are many other options and people have a million different ways to make 6 figures.

Anyone that thinks pharmacy is the only way or even worst the easiest way...need to wake up. That's my point.

You should talk to those pple in nail salons, restaurant owners, etc ... to see whats the real situation.

I moonlight as a tax preparer and have several clients who own nail salons. Their yearly gross income varies between $120K and $280K. Depending on the terms of their leases, the location of their salons, how many people they employ, etc, their net income is between $40K and $180K. I also know the owner of an upscale spa. His gross is about $1M/yr. His net? Close to 0.

My family are restaurant owners and my mom's friend owns 4 nail salons. I know the situation. Of course the pharmacist that were around 10+ years ago are doing well...back then pharmacy was doing well...but not so much now as I mentioned already. Yes, 10 years ago it was great and I am sure that pharmacist is doing well. I believe you.

My point is there are many other options and people have a million different ways to make 6 figures.

Anyone that thinks pharmacy is the only way or even worst the easiest way...need to wake up. That's my point.

And yet, most people don't make 6 figures! For something that is highly sought after, it seems that either a) people just WANT to sludge through life, or b) its no where as easy or clear-cut as you're making it sound. Somehow, I think that its the 2nd reason...

Yes, in theory, anyone can make 6 figures, even by doing things that one would normally not associate with 6 figures (truck-driving, general contractor, oil worker, etc...). Difference is, these fields (along with some of the ones you listed, such as hair salon owner, dry cleaning place, possibly restaurant owner) aren't exactly standardized, either in working conditions, advancement, and/or pay. There are a million variables outside your control which will determine your fate.

No, pharmacy is probably not the easiest way to make 6 figures. But guess what? Neither is being a restaurant owner, hair salon owner, or any method of self-employment for that matter. There is a reason why most new businesses fail after 5 years. I would bet the fail rate is much higher for people who jump into it without any business sense (something you conveniently assume everyone either already has, or can easily learn from a book).

Finally, with regards to your claim that the pharmaceutical sales and investment field is an easy 6 figures:
  1. Both are sales jobs (the former moreso than the latter), so if you are not the salesman type, forget it. Granted, this is something that some people can learn, but its far from a sure thing.
  2. Both fields are very hard to break into. Again, the lack of a streamlined career entry process.
  3. If you do break 6 figures in either field, you probably wont' be able to enjoy the money, because you will be working upwards of 60 hours a week (probably moreso in investment banking).
  4. Both fields are highly cyclical. Currently, both the investment banking field and Big Pharma are on a downswing. Will it get better? Probably, in the long term. But then again, the field of pharmacy is also currently in something of a downswing (at least compared to the previous decade), yet you seem to give these two fields a pass on their current situations.

I moonlight as a tax preparer and have several clients who own nail salons. Their yearly gross income varies between $120K and $280K. Depending on the terms of their leases, the location of their salons, how many people they employ, etc, their net income is between $40K and $180K. I also know the owner of an upscale spa. His gross is about $1M/yr. His net? Close to 0.

Whoa, have any more crazy stories like the spa owner? I think most people don't realize you're not guaranteed anything, and might lose money in your own biz. I could never handle a 1 mil gross with no net situation, I would be stressed to no end. Cool examples though

Last edited:
And yet, most people don't make 6 figures! For something that is highly sought after, it seems that either a) people just WANT to sludge through life, or b) its no where as easy or clear-cut as you're making it sound. Somehow, I think that its the 2nd reason...

Yes, in theory, anyone can make 6 figures, even by doing things that one would normally not associate with 6 figures (truck-driving, general contractor, oil worker, etc...). Difference is, these fields (along with some of the ones you listed, such as hair salon owner, dry cleaning place, possibly restaurant owner) aren't exactly standardized, either in working conditions, advancement, and/or pay. There are a million variables outside your control which will determine your fate.

No, pharmacy is probably not the easiest way to make 6 figures. But guess what? Neither is being a restaurant owner, hair salon owner, or any method of self-employment for that matter. There is a reason why most new businesses fail after 5 years. I would bet the fail rate is much higher for people who jump into it without any business sense (something you conveniently assume everyone either already has, or can easily learn from a book).

Finally, with regards to your claim that the pharmaceutical sales and investment field is an easy 6 figures:
  1. Both are sales jobs (the former moreso than the latter), so if you are not the salesman type, forget it. Granted, this is something that some people can learn, but its far from a sure thing.
  2. Both fields are very hard to break into. Again, the lack of a streamlined career entry process.
  3. If you do break 6 figures in either field, you probably wont' be able to enjoy the money, because you will be working upwards of 60 hours a week (probably moreso in investment banking).
  4. Both fields are highly cyclical. Currently, both the investment banking field and Big Pharma are on a downswing. Will it get better? Probably, in the long term. But then again, the field of pharmacy is also currently in something of a downswing (at least compared to the previous decade), yet you seem to give these two fields a pass on their current situations.

I think you're spot on, that people will keep going into pharmacy, b/c it's seen as a sure thing, and so many people fail at business. I think pharm will be like law in that there will be people finding gainful employment and then there will people that will be unemployed and go another direction with their life. This could also be compared to chiropractic where like half of a graduating class is working outside the profession after 5 years or so. The killer part of thevequation here is the debt incurred; you can't really justify the risk if you'll be 100k or more in debt, and I actually went into pharm rather than med/dent b/c at my state school I could get out with no debt b/c the tuition hadn't ratcheted up yet like it did over the last 5 yrs. I think people will find work, just not everyone. Then who knows, maybevenrollment will pare back, or maybe not. I just think there is a flight to healthcare and "stable" careers now b/c that's the only place people feel like they can get a job b/c they or someone they know got let go from another career, etc. Point is, I think almost all healthcare careers are tightening up now, even if it's not to the degree pharmacy has.

I think people will find work, just not everyone

Of course there will be a steady trickle of jobs all the time due to retirements, new opening etc but there are certainly going to be a lot of unemployed RPh's.

Of course there will be a steady trickle of jobs all the time due to retirements, new opening etc but there are certainly going to be a lot of unemployed RPh's.

Well, the trickle might not be so subtle, for two reason (and correct me if I'm wrong):
  1. The baby boomers are gonna be retiring soon, which also includes pharmacists.
  2. Because of the economic collapse during 08 and 09, a lot of people (including pharmacists) could not afford to retire, so they kept working. This could translate to a larger group of people retiring in the future, since the # of pharmacists retiring was in effect 'blocked off' for a while.

A FEW YEARS? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: WOW some people on here are very delusional...if you are in the class of 2012 and MAYBE 2013...then sure you will have to fight for the jobs that's left as many are going away FAST....but in a few years? :laugh: In a few years you don't have to worry...it's kinda hard to fight for something that's no longer there. LOL...

You always seem to speak so disparagingly of the pharmacy job market, so why, exactly, are you adamant about continuing your studies to be a pharmacist?!? If you're absolutely convinced that there are hundreds of easier ways to make your precious 6 figures (which seems to be the one and only indicator of a good career for you), then why are you not pursuing one of them, instead of submitting yourself to all this turmoil and uncertainty as regards to your cash flow?

OMG you're right! I just checked, and according to Nostradamus, starting in 2014, there will not be a single new pharmacy job in America.

Hell, I guess I'll go open a restaurant. I've heard that restaurant ownership is practically a license to print money. In fact, there's a place down the street from me that has been three different restaurants in the last 2 years. I guess the owners got so rich after just a few months of operation, they were able to just retire and close down, making way for the next soon-to-be-wealthy restauranteurs.