Other OT-Related Information Thinking about going to US Army then applying to OT schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otot1313

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure this is OT related but I wanted some opinions from some of you guys out there..

I am currently in progress of submitting application...
As far as I am concerned, I finished my Pre-reqs, got my LORs, Observational Hours, and writing my personal statement... Only thing I haven't done is taking the GRE...

But one of the reason why I am constantly thinking about going to the military is the cost of the tuition AND my status (student visa).

Plus, I don't think my application is strong enough to get accepted this time around so i'll get some experience in the military (they offer OT as a job)...

The schools that i really want to go is USC and LLU, which is both a private schools.

Since I don't have the highest GPA and its academics, I do have better chance at private institution right? I know it's not easy still.

I don't want to get a loan but military will at least minimally give me some benefits in the end.

Going to the military is a big risk but there is benefit afterward and I am only 25... so by the time I finish contract with military, i'll be 29~31...

I don't really care about money right now... All I want to pursue is to be an OT... I don't think military is waste of 3~4 years of OT salary. It just that money's in the way.

The only worries that I have is that what will happen to my grades... I took my pre-reqs from fall 2014 to fall 2015... so by the time I reapply to school after I am done with military, will they accept my grades from couple of years ago... and that applies to my LORs and hours too...

I will ask the schools but I want your opinion as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your primary concern is money, then think about it this way. Say you apply this cycle and get accepted for a 2016 start date. Come 2018 you will likely have graduated and are ready to start earning as an OT. So now you are a 28? year old OT earning $70k + in Southern California. Now if you had joined the military and completed your initial service obligation of lets say 4 years minimum, you would still have to hope that you are ready to apply to a program and start in 2020 at the earliest, shooting for a 2022 graduation as best case. So now 32 year old you is starting his/her OT career.

If you join the military you could be giving up 4-5 years of MSOT level earning potential and experience, or approximately $280k gross income, not including raises or potential for side work. Granted, you will likely have a 6 figure student loan. But post 9/11 GI Bill current annual limit for private institution tuition is $21,084.89. Even with the living expense kicker, you are going to come up quite short in tuition alone to attend either USC or LLU. Meaning you will have to save a whole heck of a lot during your military time, or take out loans. You could estimate that you are giving up that $280k in earnings for roughly $60-70k in financial aid from the military. These are all very rough estimates, but still from a purely financial standpoint it doesn't really make sense.

On the flip side, the military can be a great way to gain one of a kind life experiences and skills that you won't find in the civilian world. That sounds like some recruiter's go to line, but it really is true. But it can also suck balls. YMMV. Like most who served I have a love/hate relationship with the military. Contact a recruiter to verify that the job you are looking at is even open and available. Also consider that there are other loan repayment programs out there that you can pursue after graduation, to include joining the military in either an active or reserve status.

And finally, I'd be curious if there are any military OTs or OTAs out there that could provide better insight as to current opportunities within the military for aspiring and current OTs? I have found little to no info in my recent searches. Longest first post ever.

Reactions: 2 users
Great feedback already given.
You picked 2 really expensive schools. They'll be more expensive 4-5 yrs from now.
I know as of last time I looked USC explains on their website when pre-reqs expire. I think stats (any mabye others) was 5 yrs. Don't know about LL.
I didn't hear some of the things I would expect to hear from someone wanting to join the military: I want to serve my country, travel, etc. Maybe you just didn't express that part. If I were thinking of joining the military, I'd make very sure that's what I wanted to do and not base my decision (at least not all of it) on eduation fuuding. Lots of hot spots all over the globe still, I think it's a decision to be made with eyes wide open.
You can always apply to OT schools and see what happens. The military could possibly be a backup plan. Right now you don't have any offers on the table so you don't need to make that decision yet about how much debt you're willing to carry. I'm scared of the cost too. It's not a small number. What about applying to some other, and cheaper, schools?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor has a (non-entry level) Doctor of Science in Occupational Therapy program for licensed occupational therapists. This would mean you could attend a masters program for OT, become licensed, then work for a few years to gain some experience. Then you could apply for their program which is fully funded (free), while you work (and get paid officer salary), and obtain officer benefits (living allowance, other stipends, etc.) Unfortunately you would have to pay for the master's program you attend, but Baylor would allow you to advance your education and gain great experience, all while getting paid. I'd imagine it's quite a competitive selection process but you should definitely check it out if you're interested.

http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/dscot/index.php?id=858592

Otherwise, the two posters before me brought up some really great points.

Reactions: 1 users
Cost of tuition is one thing... but another was because of my gpa and my status...

I surely do have high pre-req grades but it doesn't justify my mistakes when I was in undergrad.

Yeah, i will be missing out 3~4 years worth of salary but there are also another reason that I really want to join army...

And it's not about money when I say I want to pursue in Occupational Therapy. It's just that money's in the way.

I do in fact am on a student visa and had the opportunity to join the army which THEN i would obtain citizenship later on...

As far as I am concerned, military is my backup but it's likely my choice...

I hate to come up with this plan but I don't see how I will be going out of state colleges as of now.

Also, I do see better chance of getting into private institutions than state university honestly.

I know military won't cover all of my tuition but I think it's a better path than going straight to OT schools which it doesn't guarantee my job in the future.

and thanks halfbreed and everyone else for great inputs :)