Thinking about switching from pre med to pharmacy. Need a lot of advice!! Please help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please bare with all the info. Need some advice! So lately, ive just been having feelings that medicine isn't for me anymore. I don't really feel I have the true passion that I used to, and that I should stop now while I'm ahead. If I was going to go into pharmacy, I might be stuck with a few issues:

I'm an upcoming junior, and I've taken all the pre med prereqs including biochem except for physics( currently taking physics 1 this semester). I know that pharmacy schools require other prereqs including anatomy, writing class, Econ, and speech. If I was to apply, would I have to have all my pre-reqs done before I apply? Also another thing: when do I apply to pharmacy school? If possible, I would like to get into pharm school without having to take any gap years.

When would I take my pcat? Would it be the summer before junior year? Do I need two semesters or physics?

I have a lot of extracurriculars and activities that I've done while being pre med. the only thing I obviously haven't done is getting pharmacy experience. Should I maybe shadow a pharmacist, or try to land a pharmacy tech job?

Could I manage to get this all done and get into pharm school in he next two years? Can I have some advice and tips? I have a strong gpa and good extracurriculars and would have great LORs. What's my Hearst option. This semester I only have 13 credit hours and could possibly get some pharm experience.

Any help and advice would really be great for me. Please let me know what's my best course of action. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

What made you decide on pharmacy?

Why not nursing, research, optometry, dentistry, PA?

You got to find you passion first. I suggest shadowing first before deciding on pharmacy.

You don't need to complete all your prereqs before applying, you just need to get it done before you start school. If you want to go directly into pharmacy school without a gap year, you need to apply the summer before your senior year. For example, I am applying to pharm school now (summer 2014) and, if I get into a school, I will attend pharm school in fall 2015. I don't remember if physics was on the PCAT but if it was, it definitely was not very hard physics. You will be fine if you get good review materials. You can also consider applying to schools that do not require PCAT. You definitely need to get some pharmacy experience though. Many schools require a recommendation letter from a pharmacist too.

I think you should learn more about pharmacy before definitely deciding on it. Check out your school's prepharmacy club if there is one and go to some pharmacy conferences to see if you're really interested.

Reactions: 1 user