This is a painful quandary for me: EDP Tulane or LSU or just apply both?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TulaneUnderdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not like "casting a wide net". The truth is I want to stay in New Orleans, a city I've been in for 22 years and will continue to stay in for the rest of my life. Therefore, with the limited options I have in applying to medical school that takes place in New Orleans, I think I might as well do EDP then since otherwise, I would just be applying to 2 medical schools regular decision.

Now the question is: which one should I EDP? My stats are cGPA 3.66 and MCAT 32 with not many ECs but a lot of unique ones (EMT intern doing 12 hour shifts on ambulance ride alongs and Alzherimer's caregiver in a church in New Orleans) along with the more important ECs (Shadowed a radiologist 80 hours and ER volunteer for 100 hours). I was also a Tulane undergrad doing a masters degree this year 2015-2016 at Tulane as well.

With that said, I doubt Tulane gives preference to undergrads and in fact, I'm worried that they might put me off since I'm doing in the middle of doing their masters degree and they would rather wait to see how I do in those classes. Nevertheless, should I EDP for them because I do feel that I might be the right person they are looking for or should I simply be safe and just do LSU since the fact is: medical school is medical school and prestige shouldn't matter if I simply want to be in New Orleans.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
EDP is designed for those with stats well above a school's accepted average. Considering your MCAT is actually a tad below Tulane's average you definitely do not fit in this category. Hence, this is in all likelihood not a realistic option at all. Now, what does happen at a number of schools with early decision programs is that if you express a serious interest in making such a commitment to a school they have you meet with either the dean or someone involved in admission to give you an honest assessment of where you stand and whether you would be competitive in an early decision applicant pool. You can try and see if you express serious interest in Tulane for ED if you can get input from those in admission for the school.

But like I said, this doesn't sound like a realistic option. If your serious about wanting to be a physician you have to be willing to move out of New Orleans for training. Period. End of Story. Get out of your comfort zone.

With your stats, you should be able to get into at least one of the two in the regular cycle. LSU interviews like half of all applicants from instate. While Tulane doesn't have "in-state preference" they do appreciate their undergrads with 12.2% of their rather large classes being from the undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
move out of New Orleans for training. Period. End of Story. Get out of your comfort zone.

Have you ever thought that maybe I might be simply staying in New Orleans for more important reasons than just staying "in my comfort zone"? Other than that low-blow attempt, I agree with you though, Tulane is too competitive if I'm right below the average.

With your stats, you should be able to get into at least one of the two in the regular cycle. LSU interviews like half of all applicants from instate. While Tulane doesn't have "in-state preference" they do appreciate their undergrads with 12.2% of their rather large classes being from the undergrad.

Thank you, this makes sense. I could also add LSU-Shreve since it's not too far from home if I truly feel out of luck.

After growing up in the New Orleans area and moving for university, I understand the appeal of wanting to stay in the city. I want nothing more than to move back. I applied to both regular decision due to the fact that I didn't think I could get into one ED. I would much rather get earlier interviews at both over getting rejected ED from one and getting my app in late to the other.

Also, LSU-Shreveport is a good decision too. They are far from the city but you can always apply to residencies at LSU-New Orleans or at Ochsner to get back into the city.

Good luck!!

If you were applying to 12-15 schools with median stats around yours, and with missions that match your interests, I would say you should be able to get in to at least one. If you are applying to Tulane and LSU only, I would say that you have a chance (maybe 15-25%) of getting into one or the other. The thing to remember is that there are so many well-qualified applicants to every school there is a pretty significant amount of chance involved in getting in to a particular one.

You could apply to just Tulane and LSU this cycle, and then decide to widen your net next cycle if it doesn't work out this time. At a certain point though, you may have to think about how important being a physician is to you and what you are willing to give up to achieve that goal.

You could apply to just Tulane and LSU this cycle, and then decide to widen your net next cycle if it doesn't work out this time. At a certain point though, you may have to think about how important being a physician is to you and what you are willing to give up to achieve that goal.

This. You need to decide whether it is more important to you to live in the New Orleans area or to be a doctor. You may be able to do both, of course; but I strongly suggest against applying to only two (or three) schools in this application cycle. For multiple reasons, you only want to apply once if you can help it. I am loathe to belittle your reasons . . . but its only 4 years away (or 3 if youre in the NYU prog) and you can look for a residency slot in the New Orleans area. Good luck.