Those of you who graduated in three years, did you get in without a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baratheonfire

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm using AP credit to graduate a year early (the credit is accepted the med schools I'm applying to). I don't want to take a gap year either.
Those of you who were in a similar position, where did you get in? And what were your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Bump very interested as i have alot of AP credits and am thinking about taking summer courses

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

It depends how well you do. I know several people who graduated in 3 years and went straight to medical school (Harvard, Einstein, State schools....). They all had very good stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll have a 3.7 cGPA and 3.55 sGPA. My MCAT is probably going to be >97th percentile.
I've also founded a club that promotes sustainable development in rural India, have 500+ clinical volunteer hours, 50+ shadowing hours, and 2000+ nonclinical volunteer hours (I've volunteered at a soup kitchen twice a month since I was 6 years old). Also 1 1/2 years of research on bone fragility.

Last edited:
I graduated in 3 years and decided not to apply straight through for the following reasons:

1. I refused to apply and study for the MCAT during the same summer (after 2nd year). Sure, I could've submitted my app in Sept, but I wanted to give myself the best possible chances.
2. I didn't want interview season to conflict with classes. My upper division writing class, for example, is required for graduation and only allows for 3 excused absences per semester.
3. The idea of taking a break to focus solely on the cycle seemed much more productive and less stress inducing.
4. I wouldn't have a legit reason to apply straight through if asked. When half of the matriculation students are 23+ y/o, you better have a solid contribution to the school you're applying to. I knew as a 19 y/o that I didn't have the life experiences necessary to provide a nuanced opinion on issues, and it was a question that I wouldn't have been prepared to answer.

I don't regret my decision one bit, but as you can see, it's personal. Good and hope this helps! :)

Reactions: 1 users
It happens but isn't very common. If you look at incoming class profiles many schools (I'd guess 50%) do not even range from that young. And it's certainly not from lack of applicants.

Being younger definitely makes your cycle harder, as you have to prove your maturity and knowledge, and sometimes even then adcoms just don't want you.

I graduated a year early and did a 1 year MPH before applying this cycle. So I have 3 years college+1 masters+1 current job w/ MLBPA. It's worked out well.

I'm just saying based on practice tests dude. I got a 2320 on my SAT, for context.
These both mean very little. Reevaluate when you actually have an official score.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I'll have a 3.7 cGPA and 3.55 sGPA. My MCAT is probably going to be >97th percentile.
I've also founded a club that promotes sustainable development in rural India, have 500+ clinical volunteer hours, 50+ shadowing hours, and 2000+ nonclinical volunteer hours (I've volunteered at a soup kitchen twice a month since I was 6 years old).

I would be careful about citing volunteer hours from when you were in kindergarten. Also, don't estimate your mcat score based on the one AAMC practice test available. I have a friend who scored 96th and then got a 504 lol.

But it's a major part of my life, and I've kept it up for 13 years
Just cut the time off from when you started UG. Listing something "since I was six" is going to look ridiculous to adcoms.

Don't start thinking about this until you get your MCAT score and final cGPA/sGPA.

I graduated early but I did other stuff for a while.

I think if you can demonstrate maturity and direction in life with good grades and MCAT, it should be fine.

going to look ridiculous to adcoms
I'm not sure I understand the logic here. How does showing that service has been a lifelong commitment (it has been) for me make me seem ridiculous?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i'm applying this cycle and will graduate in 3 years (with one withdrawn semester); also used a bunch of AP credits (like 50); LizzyM = 75, but weaker ECs

4 MD II so far

all I can tell you is that graduating in 3 won't impress any adcoms, and they won't cut you slack for less time to build ECs

I'll graduate in 3.5 years. Applied this cycle and will enjoy the hell out of my break. I would not graduate undergrad in the spring and start med school in july/august whether it took 3, 4, or 5 years to graduate.

I'll graduate in 3.5 years. Applied this cycle and will enjoy the hell out of my break. I would not graduate undergrad in the spring and start med school in july/august whether it took 3, 4, or 5 years to graduate.
What are you doing in your break?

I'm not sure I understand the logic here. How does showing that service has been a lifelong commitment (it has been) for me make me seem ridiculous?
Did you put your kindergarten achievements on your college app? No? Same logic.

Did you put your kindergarten achievements on your college app? No? Same logic.
But it's not a kindergarten achievement. It's a lifelong activity and I've been honored by the county a few times for it.

Reactions: 1 user
But it's not a kindergarten achievement. It's a lifelong activity and I've been honored by the county a few times for it.
Right, so count everything you've done for it since becoming a college student. I'm not saying omit the activity. I played sports in college, but I'm not going to put my Pee Wee trophies on AMCAS. Same logic.

Right, so count everything you've done for it since becoming a college student. I'm not saying omit the activity. I played sports in college, but I'm not going to put my Pee Wee trophies on AMCAS. Same logic.
So I can't even mention that I've been doing it for the vast majority of my life? I haven't seen very many people who've been doing regular community service for this long, so I'd think it'd stand out. And the awards I've received also make mention of the large amount of time I've put in

(I've volunteered at a soup kitchen twice a month since I was 6 years old).

If you are applying as a college junior, you are already young... no sense highlighting the fact that you are young.
Volunteerism shows a sense of service to others. I would very much doubt that it was your idea to go to the soup kitchen when you were 6, that you got yourself there yourself and you took responsibility your activities there each month. Let's face it, you went there because grown-ups in your life took you there. Where the rubber meets the road is what you chose to do once you had the maturity to decide whether or not you were going to go and made a choice to go. That shows us your mature and deliberate effort to serve others.

And enough with the awards! No one cares about the awards. Did you do it for the accolades?

Reactions: 7 users
If you are applying as a college junior, you are already young... no sense highlighting the fact that you are young.
Volunteerism shows a sense of service to others. I would very much doubt that it was your idea to go to the soup kitchen when you were 6, that you got yourself there yourself and you took responsibility your activities there each month. Let's face it, you went there because grown-ups in your life took you there. Where the rubber meets the road is what you chose to do once you had the maturity to decide whether or not you were going to go and made a choice to go. That shows us your mature and deliberate effort to serve others.

And enough with the awards! No one cares about the awards. Did you do it for the accolades?
Makes sense. But how would you recommend mentioning how large a part of my life it is without mentioning how long I've been doing it?

I did it. My stats and application are in my MD Apps. However, I do regret it to some extent. If you would like me to elaborate I will.

Makes sense. But how would you recommend mentioning how large a part of my life it is without mentioning how long I've been doing it?
The application is going to ask start date, end date (or to present) and total hours. You could list a date like 2003 to present, and describe your duties there. That shows longevity. Focus on the fact that it has been grace/blessing/honor to serve others and to be able to use your skills to make their lives a bit more comfortable if only for a short time every other week. Speak to how this volunteer work makes you feel and why service is important to you.

The application is going to ask start date, end date (or to present) and total hours. You could list a date like 2003 to present, and describe your duties there. That shows longevity. Focus on the fact that it has been grace/blessing/honor to serve others and to be able to use your skills to make their lives a bit more comfortable if only for a short time every other week. Speak to how this volunteer work makes you feel and why service is important to you.
Thanks for the advice!

Working for about a month, then backpacking south America for four months. You won't be able to do that for many many years once you start med school.
Dang. How do you guys get the money/courage to just backpack in random countries? I keep seeing people on this board say that they're doing something like that.

Why do you regret it?
I missed out on a lot and ended up losing a few relationships just due to the strain of the extra work. I'm the youngest person in my class. And now it is setting in how little time I will have to be free like I was in undergrad now that I'm in med school. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful I was accepted and I love the school, the people, and what I am doing. But the sense of urgency I had mans little in the grand scheme of things and I really would love to have some of that time back. Granted, I didn't know this at the time I was accepted but graduating early added a year to a LDR I am in, which definitely is a contributor to my thoughts as well. Regardless, it is ultimately an individual decision with pros and cons and I can't say what is best for you. I will say that many fabulous things can be done with a gap year though.

It is not that hard to do, but you have to prove you are better than the older applicants. It is not as uncommon as people on snd like to make it out to be, but like was stead earlier many 19-20 year olds are not mature enough for medical school. Most schools are not going to think too much about your age if you go in with a 90% + MCAT, but if you are below average it could be another nail in the coffin.

Dang. How do you guys get the money/courage to just backpack in random countries? I keep seeing people on this board say that they're doing something like that.
I've been working a lot and saving for two years. My family didn't have money to travel much when I was young, so you don't have to come from money. my trip will "only" cost 10k. Doable if you plan well and work hard.
As for courage, I dunno I'm just not particularly worried. I understand the risks and challenges but I'll be okay

I've been working a lot and saving for two years. My family didn't have money to travel much when I was young, so you don't have to come from money. my trip will "only" cost 10k. Doable if you plan well and work hard.
As for courage, I dunno I'm just not particularly worried. I understand the risks and challenges but I'll be okay
And you're planning to do this after you've already been accepted to med school?

Having a normal human experience is a big part of being able to build rapport with patients. You may find that your lack of life experience will interfere with both your job and your mental health down the road.

Because we didn't try to gun through school so quickly. I've spent three amazing years after undergrad working, having a fun adult life, making money, and backpacking the world. Wouldn't change it!

Don't underestimate how much Med schools value life experience. This is your greatest battle trying to get in at such a young age.

I could have graduated early but chose not to, for a few reasons.

1) Between a major school scholarship and outside awards, I had more than a full ride to undergrad. As in, I got a check to cash every semester. Cost savings were a nonissue.

2) I started kindergarten at 4 and had already spent my whole life as the youngest person in my class. I didn't feel the need to compound that at the time. (I will say, however, that this matters less the older you get. Once you hit residency PGY year and knowledge tend to trump age. When I was the senior resident and youngest resident on my L&D team, it's not as if my juniors didn't listen to me because they were older.)

3) I entered college planning to major in "Chemistry or History or Art History or French or Comparative Literature or Political Science or Music." While I ended up doing Chem, the extra time I had gave me the chance to take classes in all of the above areas and do enough higher level Chem to get a Masters. None of that made a difference for my med school app, but I've lost count of the number of real-life interactions where my varied interests/knowledge have come in handy.

4) I was having a lot of fun in college and pictured med school as a nonstop horror story. I didn't want to rush to get to that.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:
interfere with both your job and your mental health down the road
Thanks, but currently my main concern is whether it will interfere with my med school application, and how to counteract its effect.

What problem? Also, I don't mean to be rude, but I came here for practical advice, not philosophical.

Philosophical advice is practical... It's all tied together and you can't expect people to curtail their own opinions in regards to your sensitivities. This is a public forum after all.

Philosophical advice is practical... It's all tied together and you can't expect people to curtail their own opinions in regards to your sensitivities. This is a public forum after all.
Ok then...

Ok then...

For clarification purposes, I was implying that your problem is you have some serious tunnel vision where your end goal is "get accepted to medical school", and not "how can I prepare myself to be a good doctor for my future patients". The brief description you gave of your app so far gives strong vibes of box checking rather than passion.

Don't worry though, I don't expect you to take my advice seriously. I was a tunnel visioned 20 year old a few years ago myself, and rolled my eyes at anyone who tried to give me similar advice.

For clarification purposes, I was implying that your problem is you have some serious tunnel vision where your end goal is "get accepted to medical school", and not "how can I prepare myself to be a good doctor for my future patients". The brief description you gave of your app so far gives strong vibes of box checking rather than passion.

Don't worry though, I don't expect you to take my advice seriously. I was a tunnel visioned 20 year old a few years ago myself, and rolled my eyes at anyone who tried to give me similar advice.
I'm trying to take it one step at a time. The doctor stuff comes after actually getting in. Also, I'm incredibly passionate about medicine. I've known that's what I want to do for years, and can't imagine myself in any other profession.
But yeah, I'm checking off boxes. I don't want to be missing anything when I apply to med school. Because getting into med school is a necessary part of my career plan.

Your biggest obstacle will be proving that you have the maturity and "life experience" that older applicants possess. Here are a list of questions for you to mill through?

1. How do you know as a 19 y/o (I assume) that medicine is EXACTLY what you want to do with your life?

2. What unique life experiences and perspectives can you bring, that a 25 y/o engineer or fireman cannot?

3. What's the rush? Medicine isn't going anywhere.

I've known that's what I want to do for years, and can't imagine myself in any other profession.

The issue is, if you're not careful, an adcom will be able to complete that sentence with "...because you rushed through, with tunnel vision, and never even considered or experienced anything else." That can be a recipe for disillusionment (i.e. quitting) once things get hard. Med schools want to know that you've given this path serious thought.

Looking back, as a young traditional applicant, the fact that I could thoughtfully answer "Why not XYZ?" was probably as important than my answer to "Why medicine?"

Just some food for thought. I don't have anything against young applicants who are able to demonstrate their maturity and thoughtfulness.

Reactions: 2 users
The issue is, if you're not careful, an adcom will be able to complete that sentence with "...because you rushed through, with tunnel vision, and never even considered or experienced anything else." That can be a recipe for disillusionment (i.e. quitting) once things get hard. Med schools want to know that you've given this path serious thought.

Looking back, as a young traditional applicant, the fact that I could thoughtfully answer "Why not XYZ?" was probably as important than my answer to "Why medicine?"

Just some food for thought. I don't have anything against young applicants who are able to demonstrate their maturity and thoughtfulness.
How do you even combat that? Why would you be expected to try everything else out to realize that you hated it and only liked medicine? I've volunteered in hospitals and shadowed for hundreds of hours, and loved it. If that won't prove that I love medicine, what will? What is this vague, nebulous idea that is maturity?

>inb4 that is why you aren't mature
Give me a serious answer, please.

How do you even combat that? Why would you be expected to try everything else out to realize that you hated it and only liked medicine? I've volunteered in hospitals and shadowed for hundreds of hours, and loved it. If that won't prove that I love medicine, what will? What is this vague, nebulous idea that is maturity?

>inb4 that is why you aren't mature
Give me a serious answer, please.

Okay. You have volunteered in hospitals and shadowed and loved it. Now compare it to some non-medical experience you have. Tell me what you liked about medicine in comparison to the non-medical experience. If you can't answer that question, it is concerning.