Thoughts on Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine (GCSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KiddCo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions and thoughts on GCSOM as I build my school list. My family lives 20 minutes away, I grew up in the area, and I plan to live and practice in the area as well. They are a fairly new medical school and were just bought out (previous name was The Commonwealth Medical College (TCMC)).

I know that according to the MSAR the MCAT median is 511 and the GPA median is 3.66.

I graduated in 2013 with a 3.68 GPA and my MCAT full lengths are placing me at around a 510 right now. The school feels like a good match numbers wise (obviously I will know more once I take the real thing in January).

I also prefer the small town vs. a large city.

I don't see them mentioned very often here, but I'm hoping someone might have information about them that I couldn't just find reading on their website.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from the area that Geisinger serves and have been accepted there as well. They are huge on serving their community and NEPA and they really want people that will come back and practice in the area. So much so that they created a new scholarship that basically gives a full ride if you come back and work for Geisinger after your training for the number of years that you were given aid. So if you get 2 years free, you have to give 2 years back. This year 10 students were awarded the scholarship this year I think.

They are also big on non-traditional students from what I've seen.

I'll be applying this coming cycle. I may also apply to their graduate program if I don't get in this cycle.

It doesn't have a guaranteed acceptance into the MD program, but if you do well there is a guaranteed interview. I could also use some recent LOR from an institution since I've been out of school so long.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

I'll be applying this coming cycle. I may also apply to their graduate program if I don't get in this cycle.

It doesn't have a guaranteed acceptance into the MD program, but if you do well there is a guaranteed interview. I could also use some recent LOR from an institution since I've been out of school so long.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile
Does receiving a II from their graduate program give you greater odds of acceptance post-II than a standard II ?

I'm looking for opinions and thoughts on GCSOM as I build my school list. My family lives 20 minutes away, I grew up in the area, and I plan to live and practice in the area as well. They are a fairly new medical school and were just bought out (previous name was The Commonwealth Medical College (TCMC)).

I know that according to the MSAR the MCAT median is 511 and the GPA median is 3.66.

I graduated in 2013 with a 3.68 GPA and my MCAT full lengths are placing me at around a 510 right now. The school feels like a good match numbers wise (obviously I will know more once I take the real thing in January).

I also prefer the small town vs. a large city.

I don't see them mentioned very often here, but I'm hoping someone might have information about them that I couldn't just find reading on their website.

The biggest thing against GCSOM is the location. That's not a negative for you. Their match list has been pretty solid and as others have said, they love locals who are more likely to serve the community there.

Training there isn't going to open any doors just based on the name, but it's not going to close any doors either.

Reactions: 1 user
Your chances are quite good there, you're basically the type of applicant they're looking for. School itself is about the same as many newer schools that don't have large teaching hospitals, with rotation issues popping up here due to frequent local changes in the health care system that are beyond the control of the school itself. The faculty is very invested in constantly improving the curriculum and seem open to feedback. Campus itself seems nice enough, and almost excessively secure. Scranton is what it is, as you know. But hey, lots of good local nature spots, and there's a surprisingly decent array of places to eat and things to do between Clarks Summit, Dickson City, and Scranton if you know where to look. Plus NY and Philly are just two hours away if you want to spend a weekend doing something more exciting.

Depending on your specialty, the Geisinger deal is great or terrible. As a psychiatrist I could never work for them, as they require noncompetes which are just not a thing that is done in the field. We're side job kind of people. So think about your specialty and how the scholarship will work for you. For some specialties it's a great deal, for others it's golden handcuffs that you quickly realize were only gold plated to begin with. And Geisinger is the biggest game in town if you want to stick around, so that's another thing to consider

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate you guys responding to a 4+ year old thread. I'll give an update.

I was accepted into GCSOM's masters program and completed that.

Scored in the top 25% and was above their threshold of I believe a 502 on the MCAT for the guaranteed interview invite to the MD program.

Was accepted into the MD program and currently in Step 1 dedicated study. I start clinicals in April (3rd year).

Got a very nice scholarship due to being a local and expressing interest in staying local (almost full ride).

For anyone reading this in the future and considering the school, I can recommend.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I appreciate you guys responding to a 4+ year old thread. I'll give an update.

I was accepted into GCSOM's masters program and completed that.

Scored in the top 25% and was above their threshold of I believe a 502 on the MCAT for the guaranteed interview invite to the MD program.

Was accepted into the MD program and currently in Step 1 dedicated study. I start clinicals in April (3rd year).

Got a very nice scholarship due to being a local and expressing interest in staying local (almost full ride).

For anyone reading this in the future and considering the school, I can recommend.
any advice for interviews? unique things about the school? i have an interview with them and trying to prepare best to maximize my chances! and congrats on all your success!