Thoughts on taking an extension course to bulk up wait list updates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Watson343

Reaction score
Hello!! I have recently been waitlisted at my top school. I work full time in a lab, and will probably not have much in the way of updates (not many papers on the horizon). I fully plan on sending a letter of intent but I would love to add more to my application in whatever way I can. My lab is at a state school, and my employer covers 6 credits of tuition at the undergrad school. Would it be crazy to take a spanish for healthcare professionals course? I've also found one course online through the UCSD extension school. The only issue is in both cases, the course isn't over until late May. The school I'm WL at CTE is late June, but obviously most WL movement is early May. I was hoping to send an update/LOI by mid April Would just mentioning I'm in a class and sending transcripts ASAP do anything???

Side note, I'm fully interested in the class. I've been trying to pick up some spanish via duolingo but it hasn't really worked. Increasing my chance of waitlist movement would be a large part of why I would enroll, but not the only reason. I'm a salaried employee and my days have been really light lately so I definitely have the time.

Thanks for any advice!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Take the class because you are "fully interested in the class," not to try to impress an adcom with a 3 month online extension school foreign language class because, no, if you are called off the WL, it won't be because of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreeing with the previous posts: take the class. Telling admissions will just be met with, "Cool," but it won't matter until waitlists begin to move. Frankly we would be more interested if you wanted to stay on the waitlist when prompted.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreeing with the previous posts: take the class. Telling admissions will just be met with, "Cool," but it won't matter until waitlists begin to move. Frankly we would be more interested if you wanted to stay on the waitlist when prompted.
The question is, will it matter even then? It's an online language class!

Reactions: 1 user