"Time in which you failed" essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reapplying this year and encountered a secondary question that asks you to "Describe a time you failed at something and what you learned from this experience". Do you think it's appropriate to discuss my "failure" from my last application cycle? I'm hesitant since I also wouldn't want to draw attention to being a reapplicant rather than just a stellar applicant, but again I think it could be done if it is done well...let me know your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

NO, NO, NO. Do NOT talk about failing your last application cycle. That is NOT what they are getting at. They want to know about a character building experience and how you grew from that. You know the agony of defeat. The marathon you didn't finish, the restaurant you opened that didn't survive, the mountain climbing that ended in frostbite and amputated toes before reaching the summit. Be adventurous, be SOMETHING that makes you stand out so you are remembered amongst the sea of applicants.

Last edited:
Yeah good point, I mean a lot of people dont get in the first time so I think calling reapplication a hardship might not be the best idea. Especially since people who might read my app may be people who it took two or three times to get in...I'll try another approach to this question. Thanks!