ABSN during gap year after failed cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc2112

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I graduated with my biology BS in 2020 and applied to medical school. However, I had a failed cycle as I did not get accepted into any school. To support myself and my family financially, and to get myself in healthcare, I decided to attend an accelerated BSN program. I’m loving it, however, so far I have not learned “enough” for me, I keep on wanting to learn more and do more, which is why, I want to attend medical school. I retook the MCAT and got a great score and reapplying this cycle. However, i’m worried as some people told me that schools might look down on me for getting a BSN? Any idea? Anyone did this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that people with nursing experience need to convince adcoms that they want to be doctors, not just that they're jumping ship from nursing. At the same time, I think adcoms are understanding of applicants' financial situations. Does your narrative line up in that regard? The program near me is 15 months long and costs over 55k. If you graduated in 2020, when did you start the BSN? I see almost no way you could have recovered your losses from the tuition by mid 2022, which doesn't make a very compelling case that this was your only option financially. Feel free to correct me on the numbers - I'm just going off of a cursory google search.

I could see this working if you got a handful more years of experience in the nursing field and could articulate why you wanted to be a physician rather than a nurse. By that point you also could have saved up a lot more, which would make a stronger case that nursing was the best option for you financially. Unfortunately at this exact point in time, the optics aren't in your favor. It could look like you went to nursing school, worked for a year and are looking for greener grass on the other side.

That being said, I know there are a handful of former nurses on SDN who are applying or currently matriculating. Hopefully they can provide more insight and actionable advice.

I've heard that people with nursing experience need to convince adcoms that they want to be doctors, not just that they're jumping ship from nursing. At the same time, I think adcoms are understanding of applicants' financial situations. Does your narrative line up in that regard? The program near me is 15 months long and costs over 55k. If you graduated in 2020, when did you start the BSN? I see almost no way you could have recovered your losses from the tuition by mid 2022, which doesn't make a very compelling case that this was your only option financially. Feel free to correct me on the numbers - I'm just going off of a cursory google search.

I could see this working if you got a handful more years of experience in the nursing field and could articulate why you wanted to be a physician rather than a nurse. By that point you also could have saved up a lot more, which would make a stronger case that nursing was the best option for you financially. Unfortunately at this exact point in time, the optics aren't in your favor. It could look like you went to nursing school, worked for a year and are looking for greener grass on the other side.

That being said, I know there are a handful of former nurses on SDN who are applying or currently matriculating. Hopefully they can provide more insight and actionable advice.

Hi!

I graduated bachelors in 2020 and did not get accepted to med school that cycle. I started ABSN this past august and it’s a 11 months and I received scholarships and only paying $7k total. I understand what you’re saying though!
Good point