Time to get married....

pinkie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any insight on the best time to get married to a med student? Was hoping for sometime in 3rd year, but is it possible? Thanks all! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Probably now or never. There's never a "bad" time to get married.

I know. Just heard from others that it is nearly impossible to plan a wedding during 3rd year (because of unpredictability of rotations) and was wondering if anyone had gone through it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend got married in his 4th year

Any insight on the best time to get married to a med student? Was hoping for sometime in 3rd year, but is it possible? Thanks all! :)

My wife and I got married between 1st and 2nd year.

It really took a ton out of us and was extremely stressful. I would recommend going through the process at easier points in med school.

We made the mistake of getting married too close to the end of school 1st year. I would have much preferred to be married in July or August but we got married in may.

It worked out in the end.

But don't underestimate the amound of stress that is associated with getting married.

I hear 4th year is cake, I'd try and wait for that if I were you. I don't think it is bad to be engaged for at least a year.

But, if you want a baby during 4th year, you better get going on the marriage. Then again there is a whole don't be pregnant on the interview trail.

Also, we did a destination wedding ... I highly recommend this. It took a lot of the stress out of the planning and we basically turned over control to our mothers.

Oh, congrats! Marriage is awesome.

My husband is now a 4th year med. student and we got married New Year's Eve of his 2nd year. This was a great time to get married, although it did rush the honeymoon a little bit. We got married on a Fri. night, and honeymooned from Sat.-Thurs. He actually missed the 1st 2 days of the 2nd semester. It didn't seem to be a big deal. I would say 3rd year has been by far the most intense and stressful! I would definitely pick 2nd or 4th year to get married if it were me. We have good friends that got married last December, in the middle of 3rd year. The groom was literally taking a final exam the afternoon of their rehearsal. I would imagine it would be a little difficult to concentrate. However, I agree that there is never a wrong time to get married, nor the perfect time during med. school or residency. Just a pick a date and go for it! Everything else will fall into place.

Good Luck!!

My husband and I are both fourth-years now and we got married between 1st and 2nd years of med school. I'd recommend either the summer between 1st and 2nd year, or sometime during fourth year as the best times. I also knew a couple that got married during winter break of 2nd year, and have 2 good friends who married during 3rd year. They both managed to arrange to have elective time the month of the wedding and took the month off; that's the only way I think it would be feasible to do it during 3rd year, because 3rd year is definitely the most intense time-wise. You have more flexibility during 1st and 2nd year. It's true though that there's no perfect time to get married, and whenever you decide to do it, it will all work out in the end. Congrats on your engagement and upcoming marriage!

Thanks for the responses. Not being a medical student myself, it is hard to understand the time constraints a medical student has. And the hard thing is that it seems the schedules for med students change dramatically from year to year.

I have heard that 3rd year is the most intense, but I would like to get married at some point during his 3rd year. I just needed advice on whether it was doable. Definitely would plan a destination wedding because the stress of planning is minimized and then you are already on your honeymoon. :)

If you are going to do it during his third year, then let the school know well ahead of time so they can make sure he is scheduled for elective/vacation time during your wedding and honeymoon. It won't work to take significant time off (more than a few days) during one of his required rotations. I know a couple at my school who got married as third-years (both of them) during an elective block, so it can be done. Good luck with your wedding and marriage!

Hi All,

I'm new to this network, but I myself was thinking to get married by 4th year.

That's what we did and it has worked out well so far. Residency will be quite the challenge though. Couples Matching certainly will be. :)

Hi All,

I'm new to this network, but I myself was thinking to get married by 4th year.

That's one of the best times you can do it, I think. Try to avoid planning a wedding for interview season though :)

Since I've been there and done that...

Ex and I married *twice*. First was the small, private wedding (officiated by friend, two friends as witnesses) on the beach that was planned at the last minute. I bought a simple white cocktail-type dress at a department store. He wore his suit. We met our friends in Chinatown, ate a nice Chinese meal, then drove to the beach where my friend performed a very beautiful ceremony in a circle of candles.

The second was the big ceremony and party for friends/family.

Do the small/private wedding. The time for planning a "big do" never will get better. It's a pain in the a$$ for EVERYONE. Just do a small deal.

If you can afford it then have it at a restaurant, hall or hotel where someone else will make the arrangements. A friend married in Yosemite this way, it was very minimal-fuss. You can dress up so you can get nice photos.

If you can't afford it, then do something within your means.

The point is - if it takes more than a weekend to plan - then don't do it.

The marriage is more important than the wedding... we're divorcing now.