Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makwendo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok little bit of a dillema here,
Grappy UG GPA, DAT # 2 real soon (first time a year ago was 17/18/17 AA/TS/PAT) and im working hard for real good numbers. Basically, my app online is complete, LOR's have been taken care of and transcript requests have been sent out. Now here's the caveat; im doing a MS in Biology that I just started, do the non-thesis track and finish up next semester (my advisor thinks its crazy).
Currently, I'm taking 12 credit hours of (graduate level), physio, biochem, pharm and cell bio. I'm pretty confident that I can pull A;s and B+'s this semester with the amount of work + the current rate of my test scores if I keep this up. And I WANT adcomms to see my graduate GPA + DAT's. What should I do, submit and send an academic update come december? Or wait till my semester grades are out and click submit immediately with the risk of a few weeks lag as AADSAS does the printouts and whatnot.

Im just thinking that sending now without the graduate grades on the app will basically put me in the rejection pile (which I know my UG grades will for sure...as a reapplicant) hence the reason I didnt submit on Day 1 of AADSAS availability.....im REALLY confused about this....

any help would be good......

and yes, I DO want to become a dentist, it is for me yadda yadda...this is just a technical application post/question

Members don't see this ad.

makwendo said:
Ok little bit of a dillema here,
Grappy UG GPA, DAT # 2 real soon (first time a year ago was 17/18/17 AA/TS/PAT) and im working hard for real good numbers. Basically, my app online is complete, LOR's have been taken care of and transcript requests have been sent out. Now here's the caveat; im doing a MS in Biology that I just started, do the non-thesis track and finish up next semester (my advisor thinks its crazy).
Currently, I'm taking 12 credit hours of (graduate level), physio, biochem, pharm and cell bio. I'm pretty confident that I can pull A;s and B+'s this semester with the amount of work + the current rate of my test scores if I keep this up. And I WANT adcomms to see my graduate GPA + DAT's. What should I do, submit and send an academic update come december? Or wait till my semester grades are out and click submit immediately with the risk of a few weeks lag as AADSAS does the printouts and whatnot.

Im just thinking that sending now without the graduate grades on the app will basically put me in the rejection pile (which I know my UG grades will for sure...as a reapplicant) hence the reason I didnt submit on Day 1 of AADSAS availability.....im REALLY confused about this....

any help would be good......

and yes, I DO want to become a dentist, it is for me yadda yadda...this is just a technical application post/question

I fully understand your dilemma because I had the same thoughts and concerns last year. I ended up not even applying last year because I would be a late applicant and haven't even taken my DAT yet (So, I didn't know if I was going to do good or not...). But, at that time I was debating whether to wait until after 1st semester was over or just submit right away (October 2004). If I would have applied right away, I would have had a 2.95 Science GPA. If I waited after 1 semester, i would have had over a 3.0. My thought was to apply now and do really well on the DAT and at least I can have a chance at a school's waitlist. "I have nothing to lose, but everything to gain if I tried," I thought. Well, I was so confused and so stressed about the whole ordeal that I just decided to wait for the next cycle when I know my GPA's will be much better and I wouldn't have to rush to take the DAT's. Oh....I would go back and forth with my decision every minute of the day! How stressful it was...

My advice to you is apply now! I know what you're thinking....You don't want to be screened out because you're below 3.0. But, waiting is not going to do you any good. After the semester is over, you can pretty much be sure that most schools are interviewing for wait list. If you apply now, you at least give yourself the chance to interview for a non wait list seat. For this to work and have a decent chance this cycle, you must perform well on your DAT's. Then, when the semester ends, send in a academic update to AADSAS. I would call individual schools you are interested in and ask how they prefer updates in grades to be handled. Man, I know exactly how you feel...Good luck to you!