tip plz!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats the best way to learn anatomy??? :(
i ask this question here for this seems to be more active than others :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Memorize it.. but learn what the different things do. Anatomy is mostly memorization IMO. Also keep in mind that the things they usually like to test on are things that are then used in practice. Sadly, as a 1st yr you have no idea what is used in practice.

Good luck.. Time, time and more time.. thats the key right there.

subi said:

I hated anatomy due to the fact that it was all memorization at the time. Now that I'm a bit farther along in my education, I can see the clinical revelance of different structures and the purpose of learning some/many of them. It makes 'learning' anatomy easier now...but like EF said, unfortunately for you, it will mostly be pure memorization.
Good luck...I needed it, but got through it. I'm sure you will too with some hard work (hopefully more hard work than I put into it! lol...)

Members don't see this ad :)
subi said:

You might either of these books to give you the clinical correlations:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0801665493/sr=8-10/qid=1155920168/ref=sr_1_10/104-4915688-5523921?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078174315X/sr=1-2/qid=1155920508/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-4915688-5523921?ie=UTF8&s=books

You'll still need an atlas, Grant's is the traditional choice. Pernkopfs was the most beautiful ever, but emphasizes all structures equally and probably too nice to take into the dissecting room.

BKN said:
You might either of these books to give you the clinical correlations:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0801665493/sr=8-10/qid=1155920168/ref=sr_1_10/104-4915688-5523921?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078174315X/sr=1-2/qid=1155920508/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-4915688-5523921?ie=UTF8&s=books

You'll still need an atlas, Grant's is the traditional choice. Pernkopfs was the most beautiful ever, but emphasizes all structures equally and probably too nice to take into the dissecting room.

I find Netter to be superior to Grant's. I actually find myself re-learning anatomy in residency, out of necessity. Did I really care about the "anatomical snuffbox" in med school? No, but now it actually has clinical relevence, which means I can remember it.

Am I the only one who feels like he wandered into the wrong forum on this thread? Learn it by enrolling in a medical school, cutting a cadaver to bits, memorizing endless terms, trying to remember the clinical important areas, and staring at atlases on the chairlift

Desperado said:
Am I the only one who feels like he wandered into the wrong forum on this thread? Learn it by enrolling in a medical school, cutting a cadaver to bits, memorizing endless terms, trying to remember the clinical important areas, and staring at atlases on the chairlift

I learned that too, but forgot 90% of it. Have since re-learned about 15% in residency.

subi said:
whats the best way to learn anatomy???

Anatomy?

I seem to have a foggy memory of some course that went by that name. There are some strange smells associated with it....

Take care,
Jeff

thanks everyone..... ;)

seems i really have to learn anatomy!

and today was my first anatomy diissection class ..

oh how much the faces scared me!!! :scared:
didnt even touch it. any tips on 'how to carry on with the dissection without becoming nauseous'.....

and how did u ppl get on with the dissections? :eek:

subi said:
thanks everyone..... ;)

seems i really have to learn anatomy!

and today was my first anatomy diissection class ..

oh how much the faces scared me!!! :scared:
didnt even touch it. any tips on 'how to carry on with the dissection without becoming nauseous'.....

and how did u ppl get on with the dissections? :eek:

You can't hurt a cadaver - they're already beyond all that. The people associated with those bodies gave you their shells to learn from. So the best thing to do is learn.