Tip Regarding Certificates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suspect this "tip" is old news for most med students who are tech savvy enough to frequent message boards but I'm amazed how few doctors, medics and people in general do this.

Whenever you get a certificate or other paper documentation of something even semi important scan it to PDF and keep a copy available.

This is particularly important for things like:
CPR/ACLS/PALS/ATLS etc.
TB tests/Hep antibody titers/Immunization records
Medical licenses/DEA certs/Pharm board certs/Board certs/US credentials
LORs/CVs

These are things that can really hold you up if you need them and they're not readily available because you're traveling or otherwise unable to get them to the person who wants them. It's much better to be able to say "I just emailed that to you." when they ask. With smart phones and cloud storage there's no reason not to have this stuff readily available.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I just get them tattooed on my body. The more asinine the merit badge, the more vulgar the location. No one asks to see my BLS card anymore...

Reactions: 1 users
I scan them as I get them. After residency, it's mostly the DEA or state CDS certs. I make multiple copies for a binder and put a digital copy on my laptop and a thumb drive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, this is good information. You want bizarre? When I lived in Hawai'i, my apartment was burglarized. What got stolen? Among other things, a large box of Dentyne Fire gum (I got the store package on Amazon), my college ring, AND my college degree - my freakin' diploma! What in the hell would some ******* do with a parchment degree? Fortunately, I'd had it scanned in already. The onerous task of getting a new one hangs over my head, as the degrees from my school are specifically signed by the Governor of Virginia (not auto-penned).

Agree--starting 2nd year of residency, I uploaded every certificate, copy of malpractice insurance, USMLE result, board exam letter, diploma, etc to the cloud.

Whenever I apply for privileges, I just send them all that way--much easier than looking for them

Theres some good phone apps for this too. I use genuis scan. Just scan them with my phone and email them to myself. Always have them anywhere I can get to my email and just forward it to whoever.

Reactions: 1 user
that genius scan is awesome. copy in your email. copy on thumbdrive, copy on dropbox. we have electronic filing for CME in FL but i still keep track of those too. be vigilant, your entire livelihood is based on a robot like being that files paperwork for <$10/hr with no interest in keeping your files straight.