This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1Bound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks after seeing how many credits I will have after this semester, 91, I have decided to throw in an application to dental school a year early. I will be earning my B.S. Biology degree before potentially matriculating. I attend a pretty well respected private school located in Texas known for its science and pre-health students.

My grade point average will be a 3.51 (maybe 3.6 depending on this semester) Science GPA and a 3.81 Overall GPA. I have plenty of "fluff" ex. officer in pre dental organization, service hours, shadowing, good relationships with dentists, getting a letter from my pre-health office at my university, work experience 3 seasons as lifeguard and manager, etc. Will be taking DAT in summer around June 23rd and I think I can at least grab a 19. Since this is my early attempt at applying, I will only be applying to Texas schools. I am a Texas resident. I would also say that I am outgoing and interview well. If I don't get in Texas on my early attempt I will try some Out of States the next go around. Suggestions for reasonably priced Out of States?

I just wanted a little feedback on where I stand for my application and what my chances were if someone were to guess. Any possible tips to aid me in my endeavor would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Seems like you have a solid base. Definitely aim higher than a 19, though.

Reactions: 1 user
It's been said many times here, but it really is hard to guess without a DAT score. Assuming you do get a 19, with no "red flag" scores of <17, I think you are in pretty good standing. You cannot have too many shadowing or experience hours, so keep on top of those things. I also think being a Texas resident may work to your advantage, it really is a unique state for in-state applicants from what I understand. Since you wanted tips, I suggest you shoot for that 3.6 sGPA and a 21+ on the DAT and I believe your chances are great.

Reactions: 1 users