Tips for Ochem?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewDent02

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m about to start studying and was wondering if you guys could tell me a little bit about the best way or what worked for you and studying Ochem?!

Members don't see this ad.

I really liked Chad's videos, it's a great place to refresh your organic chemistry memory. While I was going through his videos, I thought it was helpful making my own formula sheet and making my owns notes. Once I finished the videos, I went through the DATDestroyer books which pretty much covered I needed to know for the actual DAT.

Last edited:
Chad videos, then the organic chemistry Tutor on youtube
Destroyer questions and answers and its amazing maps
and sometimes Mike videos from Bootcamp.
Solving questions on Bootcamp helped as well.

Orgo is not hard, but you need to love it!

My way of studying was taking notes and solving a lot of practice questions.
I took notes. A lot of notes, everything I watched, I wrote what they said
Everything I solved, I wrote it down with the answer.

I did not really read back my notes, maybe once, but they helped solidified the materials.

I used these free websites as well to solve more questions.

Orgo was my worst course in undergrad so I dreaded this for the DAT. Somehow I managed a 28 on the OC section though.

This was 2.5 years ago so take my tips with the understanding that it's possible that the DAT content has changed since.

I went though Destroyer 3 times and tracked which questions I answered incorrectly each time. That way, I knew what I consistently did not know and topics I was iffy on. I also found Bootcamp to be really helpful. After 3 Bootcamp tests, the OC content became really repetitive. Ranking acids, naming conventions, basic reactions, etc. So I made sure I knew how to answer those types of questions that came up a lot and lo and behold, they were on my actual exam. Part of the beauty of GC, OC, and QR is that the types of questions become repetitive after a while whereas with bio it's the wild west.

Reactions: 1 users
Orgo was my worst course in undergrad so I dreaded this for the DAT. Somehow I managed a 28 on the OC section though.

This was 2.5 years ago so take my tips with the understanding that it's possible that the DAT content has changed since.

I went though Destroyer 3 times and tracked which questions I answered incorrectly each time. That way, I knew what I consistently did not know and topics I was iffy on. I also found Bootcamp to be really helpful. After 3 Bootcamp tests, the OC content became really repetitive. Ranking acids, naming conventions, basic reactions, etc. So I made sure I knew how to answer those types of questions that came up a lot and lo and behold, they were on my actual exam. Part of the beauty of GC, OC, and QR is that the types of questions become repetitive after a while whereas with bio it's the wild west.
Nailed it. I feel the same way. I took my DAT around the same time as @zToothinator