Tips for weeding out schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
op has very similar stats as i do and i got no love from eva. Maybe they are oos friendly if you have amazing stats but for average applicants :thumbdown:

n=1

Members don't see this ad.

I also disagree with the post about Ohio schools being unfriendly. Ohio State's class is actually over half OOS, and Cincinnati, Toledo and Wright State all take a good percentage of OOS.

Um..."colored medicine?" What, pray tell, is "colored medicine?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I also disagree with the post about Ohio schools being unfriendly. Ohio State's class is actually over half OOS, and Cincinnati, Toledo and Wright State all take a good percentage of OOS.

Doesnt UCinc have a noted peds program?

It does -- Cincinnati Children's is one of the best and largest children's hospitals in the country.

So would mentioning my interest in peds IM be beneficial when applying to their program?

Chances are that you'll change what you want to do

Um..."colored medicine?" What, pray tell, is "colored medicine?"

I was just being lazy in what I typed out, I meant I'm not interested in schools like Morehouse that are predominantly colored and list that in their mission statement.

Anyways, I updated the OP with suggestions and whatnot. Right now I'm sitting at 32 schools (31 since I'll probably drop LSU if they're really that atrocious for OOS apps). I wouldn't mind dropping a few more, does anyone see some schools that I'm 100% definitely wasting my time with on that list? I realize most of those schools are a stretch with my stats, but it is what it is. Other than Mayo, any schools you folks think I should definitely drop off that list?

Thanks again guys, your insight is definitely appreciated

I was just being lazy in what I typed out, I meant I'm not interested in schools like Morehouse that are predominantly colored and list that in their mission statement.

bump bump

Did you bump because you were looking for more advice? Or because you wanted others to see that you used a generally pejorative term because you were being lazy?

I hope it occurs to you that others may not be interested in giving advice to someone who thinks there is "colored medicine" & doesn't apologize when others are clearly offended. Personally, I'll just say I'm biting my tongue as to the fate I'm wishing upon your application right now -- and it's not out of spite, it's because you showed a pretty sad character deficit.

I'll acknowledge there's some debate as to whether or not "colored people" is pejorative since "people of color" is considered PC. However, you need to be understanding of the history of the term (it singled out people who are black...not asian, not middle eastern, not hispanic), during an era when it was widely accepted that these individuals were not of equal status to others. But even if it's not pejorative in and of itself, it does not accurately reflect the instruction or mission of the schools to which you are referring.

Meharry, Morehouse, Howard, Charles Drew...
If you read their mission statements you would see that they seek to serve the underserved...normal medicine...something you will be shocked to find (if you ever get into medical school), is the same medicine we learn at the 150-ish other medical schools in this country. Today, their demographics, when different, namely reflect the fact that these schools accept people who they are very, very confident will actually serve those communities, and in spite of all the talk applicants talk in personal statements, the ones most likely to practice in those areas are people from those areas.

I am at a school far from the institutions to which you are referring, but the patient populations our hospitals serve is quite similar. Patients often wait until they are at death's door to come to us. Sometimes it's because they fear we'll report them for deportation. Mostly it seems to be from fear of the extraordinary financial hit. I hope that it is never fear that when we look at them we are subjectively judging their race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, poverty...and deciding that it's okay to practice "colored medicine" on them because, in your words, we're "just being lazy."

Cultural sensitivity & ethics are a cornerstone of medical education and admissions. If you were to have said what you said to a physician or student in an interview or to another applicant or medical student in casual conversation, I do not think it would be considered lightly in review of your application.

Your apparent lack of understanding that you crossed a line -- that you didn't apologize & gave a justification for soemthing that clearly offended your colleagues -- make you look at best ignorant & at worst a liability.

colored medicine lol smdh... i agree with you 100% Plecopotamus.
in any case you didn't have to say colored since you already covered that with URM, thus we would have known you were referring to traditionally African American schools and those in Puerto Rico.
the response as to why you used the word!!! hahahaha man you must be sad that rick perry is not going to become a presidential candidate.
just a heads up, in case you meet on of these here colored people during your life time... colored is just as bad as n!@@a.... sadly though, from the looks of it, im pretty sure you use that one too!

Last edited:
I removed my name from the personal statement reader list a long time ago, because I was sick of applicants being rude to me. Now I have a new reason to NEVER EVER read another one again. This thread just made me realize I put hours of effort into helping a racist douchecanoe re-write his essay. Maybe he wont say sorry for what he said, but I'm sorry to everyone everywhere for helping him.

Scum.

Did you bump because you were looking for more advice? Or because you wanted others to see that you used a generally pejorative term because you were being lazy?

I hope it occurs to you that others may not be interested in giving advice to someone who thinks there is "colored medicine" & doesn't apologize when others are clearly offended. Personally, I'll just say I'm biting my tongue as to the fate I'm wishing upon your application right now -- and it's not out of spite, it's because you showed a pretty sad character deficit.

I'll acknowledge there's some debate as to whether or not "colored people" is pejorative since "people of color" is considered PC. However, you need to be understanding of the history of the term (it singled out people who are black...not asian, not middle eastern, not hispanic), during an era when it was widely accepted that these individuals were not of equal status to others. But even if it's not pejorative in and of itself, it does not accurately reflect the instruction or mission of the schools to which you are referring.

Meharry, Morehouse, Howard, Charles Drew...
If you read their mission statements you would see that they seek to serve the underserved...normal medicine...something you will be shocked to find (if you ever get into medical school), is the same medicine we learn at the 150-ish other medical schools in this country. Today, their demographics, when different, namely reflect the fact that these schools accept people who they are very, very confident will actually serve those communities, and in spite of all the talk applicants talk in personal statements, the ones most likely to practice in those areas are people from those areas.

I am at a school far from the institutions to which you are referring, but the patient populations our hospitals serve is quite similar. Patients often wait until they are at death's door to come to us. Sometimes it's because they fear we'll report them for deportation. Mostly it seems to be from fear of the extraordinary financial hit. I hope that it is never fear that when we look at them we are subjectively judging their race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, poverty...and deciding that it's okay to practice "colored medicine" on them because, in your words, we're "just being lazy."

Cultural sensitivity & ethics are a cornerstone of medical education and admissions. If you were to have said what you said to a physician or student in an interview or to another applicant or medical student in casual conversation, I do not think it would be considered lightly in review of your application.

Your apparent lack of understanding that you crossed a line -- that you didn't apologize & gave a justification for soemthing that clearly offended your colleagues -- make you look at best ignorant & at worst a liability.

Thank you. Could not have said it better myself.

As a "colored person," I think you're way too butthurt over a harmless comment. I wasn't offended. Of course, ti's SDN, where it harbors the most neurotic, OCD weirdos you'll ever see in school.

Also, I'm colored, and I don't want to work in an underserved area. Poor areas suck, and you receive no gratitude a lot of the times from these patients. They're more inclined to sue you than someone from a higher socioeconomic class, etc. etc. Usually these places have people from abroad (India, Pakistan, China, etc.), the Caribbean and DO schools because they can't get into a good residency program in Manhattan over, say, the Bronx lol.

90% of you don't either but you do because you weren't/aren't competitive enough for the better schools which is why you "prefer" family practice/rural medicine. And all those people who go to Africa "for teh children" are just padding their resume or just naive upper middle class white kids.

Anyone who ever said they genuinely enjoy working in underserved areas is b.s.ing you, and themselves if they genuinely believe it. Of course, they don't call it underserved for no reason.

tl;dr Whiny butthurt minorities being offended over someone saying "colored people." (nota bene: I'm a minority, so I get a golden ticket on this).
I hope no one is harmed by these comments. This is what we refer to as applicant wastage. Inevitably a small percentage of applicants are entirely self serving. If they get in, we can only hope they find a way to be of service.