Tips on how to get LOR on time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chargers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still waiting for this one professor to send in his LOR. I asked him for a LOR in April, and I know it is still early. I just want to make sure that he writes one as soon as possible when his memories about me is still fresh. I am thinking of sending him a thank-you card to reminds me the task at hand, but I don't know what to put on that card. Should I say straight up that I haven't gotten the letter and remind him of the deadline besides the thank you, or should I just pretend that everything is fine and just say thank you alone??? What should I say, people?

Members don't see this ad.

Send him an email saying you are getting ready to submit your AMCAS and ask him if a copy of it would be helpful for him in his letter writing.

just email him or stop by his office. They won't get offended, and in all likelihood it's just one in a list of 200 things they need to get around to. Be tactful and respectful, but it's ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
A thank you letter works well. Just thank him/her and say how much you appreciate it, and how you will be submitting your application. They'll get the hint.

Only one way I know...
latham_arlie_bat.jpg

If you have a health professions advisor or commitee letter being written for you, you could ask him/her to help you remind your professor that he's holding things up.

I also like the tactic of asking if he/she needs another copy of the paperwork/SASE, etc, in case the delay is because something was misplaced.

Yes, remind him tactfully. Be mindful of the fact that this is end of May and it's likely that he was recently swamped with finals, grading, and gunners filing for grade appeal, so do mention something in your e-mail about how you value his time.

hello,
this may be a dumb question, but do we need to send in LOR's with our secondary applications? I ask this because I prolly won't have my last LOR until mid July. Thanks for the info!!

I am still waiting for this one professor to send in his LOR. I asked him for a LOR in April, and I know it is still early. I just want to make sure that he writes one as soon as possible when his memories about me is still fresh. I am thinking of sending him a thank-you card to reminds me the task at hand, but I don't know what to put on that card. Should I say straight up that I haven't gotten the letter and remind him of the deadline besides the thank you, or should I just pretend that everything is fine and just say thank you alone??? What should I say, people?

I don't think it's necessary to thank the professor just yet. Simply send a reminder (be sure to include your original request) just in case s/he has forgotten all about. Also let him/her be aware of the deadlines. Last year, I sent my LOR writers 'reminder emails' every two weeks until they got it done.