titration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgdg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question from Topscore 2:

How much volume of HCL added if 20 mL of 1 M NaOH titrated with 1 M HCL to produce a pH of 2?

I don't understand topscore's explanation. Help please.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I have a question from Topscore 2:

How much volume of HCL added if 20 mL of 1 M NaOH titrated with 1 M HCL to produce a pH of 2?

I don't understand topscore's explanation. Help please.

Yeah, this is hard one. Ok, so first we know MV = MV so it takes 20 ml of HCL to neutralize and now the total volume is 40ml. Now the question is how much more ml of 1M HCL do we need to add to get H+ ion concentration of 10^-2.

so say we need X more ml of HCL, H+ ion concentration will be equal to moles of H+ ion over the total volume: (1M)(Xml)(1L/1000ml) over (40ml + Xml)(1L/1000ml) which should equal 10^-2 to get PH of 2. Each side cancel out to be X/(40+X) =1/100

you can find X is equal to 0.4 so you need totally 22.4 ml. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
to michaelamae1,

this is how I am thinking about the problem and I don't know if it's right so someone please correct me:

use Molarity x Volume = Molarity x Volume

That equals sign means something! Remember that Molarity units are Moles/L and Volume L. So basically we are saying that the moles of something is equal to the moles of something else.

Now, think about this: the moles of HCl you use during the titration is the same amount of moles of HCl you end up with at the end of the titration right? So one side of the equation should be the amount of moles of HCl during the titration:
(1 M)(x liters)

and the other side of the equation will be how many moles of HCl we have at the end of the titration:
(.01)(40 + x liters)

We got .01 by noting that we want a pH of 2.
pH = -log [H+]
2= - log [H+]
[H+] = 1 x 10-2 = .01

Also note that when we combine 20 ml of the base and 20 ml of the acid, we have 40 mL total and neutralize everything to pH=7. However, we want to get down to pH=2 so we need to add a bit more acid, that is why we have (40 + x)

Putting everything together:
(1 M)(x mL) = (.01)(40+ x mL)

x =.4

So 20 mL of acid gets us to neutral pH but if we add .4 extra (so 20.4 mL total), we get down to pH =2

Is my thinking correct??? Titrations are my weakness in genchem and I'd love to fully understand them