***TMDSAS 2016***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EasTexan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's already that time again... Good luck to everyone applying through TMDSAS for 2016 entry!

If you'd like to post your interview invites and/or acceptances that would be great also:

School:
Notification date:
Interview date:
Method of notification:
TMDSAS mail-out date:
Application received date/s:
GPA (bcpm, overall):
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17):

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Started my application today and signed up for my DAT on July 6th. Hopefully my scores get in by the time I submit my application to all three Texas Schools :(

Started my application today and signed up for my DAT on July 6th. Hopefully my scores get in by the time I submit my application to all three Texas Schools :(
You'll be fine with your scores that is definitely not applying late. Also you can ask the schools if you can fax them your DAT so that they don't have to wait for the scores to be sent to them because that can take up to 3-4 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my DAT early early September last cycle and was fine. Just take it when your ready so you don't have to retake it period.

Does anyone know if one can submit the TMDSAS application before June 1st?

you can literally submit it today.

Plan on submitting 1st or 2nd week of June. Hopefully that's not too late, but my spring semester doesn't finish until May 26th :(
Good luck everyone!

Is this.. the official thread? I was expecting more posts lol.

Anyway, if anyone knows (I'll also be calling TMDSAS soon to verify) --- In terms of LORs, I will be submitted a committee pack that includes letters from a professor and a practicing dentist. Is that enough to satisfy the "PLUS one letter from a practicing dentist" for Baylor and Houston? Or did I need to, in addition to the committee letter, send in a third letter from another dentist? Would this letter be separate or can I also include the third letter in the packet?

I hope that made sense. If anyone knows, please let me know too :)

Nevermind! I figured it out.

To answer my own question -- when you selected the form in which your LORs are delivered (Individual or Committee) another pop up appears that asks for the practicing dentist's name. My delivery method in this pop up was pre-selected to "Committee letter" meaning that the additional letter is included in the packet.

So... there you go if anyone else had the same question.

Is my understanding correct that non-Texas residents can apply to the Texas dental schools via AADSAS? Is there any disadvantage to using AADSAS rather than TMDSAS?

Anyone know if I should put Microbiology under planned enrollment just for Houston even though I don't plan on taking it? I was thinking of taking Micro if Houston is my last option like spring/summer semester before dental school starts. I'm not sure if Houston will ask me about it if it's not included on my app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if I should put Microbiology under planned enrollment just for Houston even though I don't plan on taking it? I was thinking of taking Micro if Houston is my last option like spring/summer semester before dental school starts. I'm not sure if Houston will ask me about it if it's not included on my app.

No, if your not planning on taking it.

Yeah, it is. That's why I was wondering if that's what I should do lol

Question: For the extracurricular/leisure section, are you guys putting the clubs that you're in? I put my leisure activities but I just realized that clubs are extracurriculars too. I put the clubs I'm in under community service though

Good luck to those who are applying this cycle! hard to believe that it's been a year already..

Hello, everyone~ I am a TX resident and I will apply this cycle, too. But my DAT is on June 23rd, should I submmit my application before my DAT score is ready? I know this type question has been asked thousand times. I just not sureo_O

Hello, everyone~ I am a TX resident and I will apply this cycle, too. But my DAT is on June 23rd, should I submmit my application before my DAT score is ready? I know this type question has been asked thousand times. I just not sureo_O

Yes, it will be added to your application later.

Question: For the extracurricular/leisure section, are you guys putting the clubs that you're in? I put my leisure activities but I just realized that clubs are extracurriculars too. I put the clubs I'm in under community service though
I've been having a hard time with this too. Clubs I put under EC but any events I did with the clubs I put under community service and healthcare activities.

I've been having a hard time with this too. Clubs I put under EC but any events I did with the clubs I put under community service and healthcare activities.

Thank you. I just needed confirmation I wasn't messing anything up :happy:

Is submitting on May 30th or 31st considered late? I just feel so rushed right now while editing my PS and essays. Trying to make my personal deadline! Transcripts and test scores are already in. Letters only take a day to upload. I think I'll be considered complete maybe mid-June.
Is that... early on enough?

Howdy friends, I have a question that has been asked many times but without any clear answers.
Regarding prereqs, are C-'s acceptable for a prereq? Classes like english or physics. For example, a student on here mentioned that he had a C- in physics. Is it required to retake it since TMDSAS calculates without +/-?
C-s are basically like 70-73 and schools who dont use the +/- system has 70-79 as a C.
Seems a little unfair to be penalized for that IMO.

Howdy friends, I have a question that has been asked many times but without any clear answers.
Regarding prereqs, are C-'s acceptable for a prereq? Classes like english or physics. For example, a student on here mentioned that he had a C- in physics. Is it required to retake it since TMDSAS calculates without +/-?
C-s are basically like 70-73 and schools who dont use the +/- system has 70-79 as a C.
Seems a little unfair to be penalized for that IMO.
It would be better to call the schools themselves and ask than to rely on the heresay of strangers (who are also technically your competition) regarding such an important aspect of the application.

if you live in texas for 10 months prior to applying, are you considered a resident?

Consensus seems to be that having your application in by late July is still early for AADSAS. Would this be considered late/not early for TMDSAS considering it opens a month earlier?

I think that's pushing it for TMDSAS. The longer you wait to submit, the longer it takes to process your application.

I think that's pushing it for TMDSAS. The longer you wait to submit, the longer it takes to process your application.
Oh I meant submitting late June but assuming it wouldn't be complete until late July, if gpa/dat processing takes about a month.

What about submitting in late May? I'm not sure what the consensus is for that. Application would be received by mid June at the latest.

Anytime before August is fine. Applying super early isn't that big of a deal. Just don't apply in Sept, unless you are a superstar.

If I worked continuously for 2 years at one job, do I need to put it in 5 different times? EX: freshman, summer, sophomore, summer, junior? Also, different semesters I worked different hours. How am I supposed to indicate this?

Does anyone know how long it takes for scores to be attached ? I've heard 3-4 weeks. I had a friend last year that had his scores attach in 1 week.

If I worked continuously for 2 years at one job, do I need to put it in 5 different times? EX: freshman, summer, sophomore, summer, junior? Also, different semesters I worked different hours. How am I supposed to indicate this?
I read somewhere else that that is what you're supposed to put it in 5 different times but I feel that is so redundant... I just filled it in one thing for each job. (ex. Start Aug 2012 - End May 2015)

Question about the Baylor Secondary: There's technically only 2 prompts it looks like, and I'm not entirely sure given the check boxes (1st generation college grad, low socioeconomic stats, etc) that I actually experienced the "extreme hardships" they are looking for. Of the boxes, I checked 4. There's the "Other adverse experience" one as well.

Is it bad to leave the boxes blank or putting "N/A"? It feels almost pretentious to write about adverse experiences that aren't demographic related.

I didn't write about extreme hardship because that's serious stuff. You can't BS that. Just check what applies and don't over think it. You'd know if you had extreme hardship

What about the second box? The "Other adverse circumstances"? That one is pretty opened to interpretation, BUT the check boxes are all about income & background, so I would assume the question relates to that sort of thing.

Lol I am overthinking it. No, I wasn't going to fill out the extreme hardship because I gratefully haven't had that in any extreme sense.

Ah I may just leave them blank. It feels weird to do so, but to BS them is even worse. Or making problem seem bigger than it is.

If you have other adverse ("preventing success or development; harmful; unfavorable.") circumstances go for it. I think these questions relate to scholarships maybe, not too sure, but I think if you have to sit there and think with nothing coming to mind, maybe you should leave them blank. (that's what I did)

LOL I don't know why I'm chuckling from your post :) I may just be delirious from stress. Or maybe everything you said was on point. Probably the latter.
Yeah, nothing is coming to mind (which is a good problem to have in this case), so I will leave them blank as well.
Thank you for your input!

I'm done with my application, but I'm still waiting on my letters of recommendation. I know that I can submit without the letters, but the question is should I. I read that the worst thing you can do is to submit an incomplete application so I'm unsure what to do .My health professions advisor told me to submit ASAP, even without the letters.

I'm done with my application, but I'm still waiting on my letters of recommendation. I know that I can submit without the letters, but the question is should I. I read that the worst thing you can do is to submit an incomplete application so I'm unsure what to do .My health professions advisor told me to submit ASAP, even without the letters.

I submitted mine without my DAT (I'm taking it in July) or committee letter (it's still being reviewed by the committee). I read somewhere that TMDSAS won't send off your application until it's complete anyways.... but I could be wrong. If so, that sucks for me...

I submitted mine without my DAT (I'm taking it in July) or committee letter (it's still being reviewed by the committee). I read somewhere that TMDSAS won't send off your application until it's complete anyways.... but I could be wrong. If so, that sucks for me...

Alright, so submitting early might just speed the process instead of waiting to submit everything and waiting for EVERYTHING to be processed?

Alright, so submitting early might just speed the process instead of waiting to submit everything and waiting for EVERYTHING to be processed?

I think so, TMDSAS still has to process your transcripts and import the adjusted GPA (if necessary) and that takes a while.

So, do they start processing transcripts as soon as they arrive or only after you've paid/submitted the app. My wife finished up her app this weekend and submitted it. Her transcripts were already received roughly 2 weeks ago and when we submitted it immediately gave her the GPA calculations, these are preliminary based on what she entered?

Not that it really matters, but curious. Everything on her app says received and currently "application has been submitted, payment is received, but has not yet transmitted to schools." Here we gooo!

They give a rough GPA once you submit. They will correct if they find anything wrong.

So, do they start processing transcripts as soon as they arrive or only after you've paid/submitted the app. My wife finished up her app this weekend and submitted it. Her transcripts were already received roughly 2 weeks ago and when we submitted it immediately gave her the GPA calculations, these are preliminary based on what she entered?

Not that it really matters, but curious. Everything on her app says received and currently "application has been submitted, payment is received, but has not yet transmitted to schools." Here we gooo!

Transcripts are input as soon as they receive them. Your GPA will be adjusted if any mistakes are made. You need to pay the $140 for them to transmit to schools.

Transcripts are input as soon as they receive them. Your GPA will be adjusted if any mistakes are made. You need to pay the $140 for them to transmit to schools.
Got it, makes sense. And yep, we've paid. Now the waiting game.