To all the brave souls who took the MCAT the last 2 days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Death

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question 1. Which Practice tests do you feel like gave you an accurate gauge of the feel?

Question 2. What do you wish you had studied more?

Question 3. If you have done Khan videos/passages do you think they were helpful or representative of the test?

As well as any other advice for us taking the test in the near future. Thank you pioneers for going ahead and blazing the trail.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
To answer the first two questions briefly, AAMC FL was highly representative of the real test. The real test was more difficult overall though, but same thought process and distribution of problem thoughts. Wish I had done more practice with psychology.

To answer your last question, I just skimmed through Khan Academy, and I can say that might be the best resource to learn the psychology/sociology material. Without a doubt has everything Kaplan missed and it helps distinguish the differences between similar terms. I wish I would have seen this earlier.

Reactions: 5 users
Question 1. Which Practice tests do you feel like gave you an accurate gauge of the feel?

Question 2. What do you wish you had studied more?

Question 3. If you have done Khan videos/passages do you think they were helpful or representative of the test?

As well as any other advice for us taking the test in the near future. Thank you pioneers for going ahead and blazing the trail.

1. The AAMC practice test is the only one that was remotely similar to the real thing (big surprise!).

2. It would be impossible to over-study biochem.

3. Helpful for identifying weak areas during the early stages of content review. Not at all representative of the style of the test.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

I'm not typically one to chat on this board (although I use it often for perspectives) but I feel obligated to give an opinion of my experience from my "MCAT 2015" sitting today (April 18, 2015).

I felt it was really not too bad. Other than a shift in focus, it felt like "just an MCAT." In fact, I liked it much more than the old AAMC tests that I was using to try to squeeze in on the last MCAT sitting in January.

I'm going to take the high road and not get into too much detail, since the AAMC is now watching and I don't want to stir the pot, but I think everyone should relax about what the differences mean to your experience.

Just study whatever book set you have, do diverse question sets and when you get to the test door, leave the emotions behind. If it's going to go well, it's going to go well.

I felt the test was difficult. By the end of it I was emotionally and mentally drained. I felt the Cars and Behav Sci were my best sections. I think I totally bombed the science sections.

To answer the first two questions briefly, AAMC FL was highly representative of the real test. The real test was more difficult overall though, but same thought process and distribution of problem thoughts. Wish I had done more practice with psychology.

To answer your last question, I just skimmed through Khan Academy, and I can say that might be the best resource to learn the psychology/sociology material. Without a doubt has everything Kaplan missed and it helps distinguish the differences between similar terms. I wish I would have seen this earlier.

Where would you get practice for psychology? I feel like there isn't much.

I took the test today and the only thing I would highly recommend is going through the AAMC FL. Being comfortable with the way the questions are asked and how to deduce the answers from the information provided is essential on this new test. They emphasize critical thinking and you cannot just rely on easy FSQs to get you through a section. I would also recommend getting used to the taking the entire test. In comparison to the old test (an easy 3 hours) this one definitely tests your stamina and focus, which you really to practice. By the time you get to the last section, you will be absolutely burnt. Bring snacks, water, anything to keep your energy up. Don't be the guy who drank too much coffee and had to run out of the test room because he couldn't hold it.

I took a TPR review course and was the least bit helpful. It is going to be harder for test companies to effectively prepare their students for the new test. I was constantly told not to waste my time studying amino acids and boy am I glad I didn't listen. The amount of time they spent on chemistry and physics is beyond me. Of course you need to learn the basic concepts but many of their passages and textbooks are filled with minutiae that will NEVER be found on the new mcat. If you want to feel prepared and know the information in and out, they will get you there but it won't help you take the test any better. Overall I finished each section with time to spare to go over questions which made me more comfortable in skipping questions and returning to them with a new perspective.

The TPR psych/soc book was the most helpful out of the four sections and it is probably the easiest section in my opinion. I took a bunch of psychology classes in school so many of the concepts weren't new for me. Some of the sociology concepts (from TPR) are poorly explained but you can get the jist of it. This is where you will be able to separate yourself from the rest of the pack with a high score. It's a lot of memorization but I would advise you memorize the concepts here rather than wasting your time memorizing derivatives of useless physics formulas.

Aside from the length, the CARS section is exponentially easier than the old verbal test where you would get 1-2 passages of wtf did I just read? Being able to predict questions from the text, as well as their answers in advance will save you a ton of headache. Key here is consistent practice.

The biology section is brutal. In the past, this has been my strongest section and I could breeze through it but the 2015 MCAT biology section is no joke. The ability to interpret information, draw conclusions from tables/data/figures, and to apply it to the basic biology you're expected to know. If you can read and understand pubmed research findings, you'll succeed here.

Physical sciences is no more. I probably had a handful of physics and chemistry sections and they were relatively easy. It's a lot of biochem, some ochem (know your structures and basic reactions), and if you haven't gotten the point already.. AMINO ACIDS. Know them in and out. Know your energy pathways.

I never thought I could walk out of the MCAT feeling good but I'm glad this one is over it's been a rough three months.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
too long. take a psych class. nothing is enough prep for that.

Do you guys think just doing the Khan videos for organic is enough? Or is it necessary to read a prep book? I'm behind on organic by a lot and may not have time to read a prep book, so freaking out here :scared:

Do you guys think just doing the Khan videos for organic is enough? Or is it necessary to read a prep book? I'm behind on organic by a lot and may not have time to read a prep book, so freaking out here :scared:

Stop freaking out. I used TPR and I felt just fine. Just remember that biochemistry inherently has organic chem, and the "chemistry" in Biochem is much more compact and predictable. This is a general comment about Biochem and organic Chem, but it should be noted with the explanations of the new MCAT 2015 subject coverage.

Also, I'm very open to talking to anyone who wants to via email, but I will not be violating any terms regarding details that were agreed upon when I took the exam.

Stop freaking out. I used TPR and I felt just fine. Just remember that biochemistry inherently has organic chem, and the "chemistry" in Biochem is much more compact and predictable. This is a general comment about Biochem and organic Chem, but it should be noted with the explanations of the new MCAT 2015 subject coverage.

Also, I'm very open to talking to anyone who wants to via email, but I will not be violating any terms regarding details that were agreed upon when I took the exam.

No, I meant using only Khan videos for organic. Will that be enough in your opinion? I haven't even started reading the TPR Organic prep book…afraid I won't have time to do so.

I took the old test today and the only thing I would highly recommend is going through the AAMC FL. Being comfortable with the way the questions are asked and how to deduce the answers from the information provided is essential on this new test. They emphasize critical thinking and you cannot just rely on easy FSQs to get you through a section. I would also recommend getting used to the taking the entire test. In comparison to the old test (an easy 3 hours) this one definitely tests your stamina and focus, which you really to practice. By the time you get to the last section, you will be absolutely burnt. Bring snacks, water, anything to keep your energy up. Don't be the guy who drank too much coffee and had to run out of the test room because he couldn't hold it.

I took a TPR review course and was the least bit helpful. It is going to be harder for test companies to effectively prepare their students for the new test. I was constantly told not to waste my time studying amino acids and boy am I glad I didn't listen. The amount of time they spent on chemistry and physics is beyond me. Of course you need to learn the basic concepts but many of their passages and textbooks are filled with minutiae that will NEVER be found on the new mcat. If you want to feel prepared and know the information in and out, they will get you there but it won't help you take the test any better. Overall I finished each section with time to spare to go over questions which made me more comfortable in skipping questions and returning to them with a new perspective.

The TPR psych/soc book was the most helpful out of the four sections and it is probably the easiest section in my opinion. I took a bunch of psychology classes in school so many of the concepts weren't new for me. Some of the sociology concepts (from TPR) are poorly explained but you can get the jist of it. This is where you will be able to separate yourself from the rest of the pack with a high score. It's a lot of memorization but I would advise you memorize the concepts here rather than wasting your time memorizing derivatives of useless physics formulas.

Aside from the length, the CARS section is exponentially easier than the old verbal test where you would get 1-2 passages of wtf did I just read? Being able to predict questions from the text, as well as their answers in advance will save you a ton of headache. Key here is consistent practice.

The biology section is brutal. In the past, this has been my strongest section and I could breeze through it but the 2015 MCAT biology section is no joke. The ability to interpret information, draw conclusions from tables/data/figures, and to apply it to the basic biology you're expected to know. If you can read and understand pubmed research findings, you'll succeed here.

Physical sciences is no more. I probably had a handful of physics and chemistry sections and they were relatively easy. It's a lot of biochem, some ochem (know your structures and basic reactions), and if you haven't gotten the point already.. AMINO ACIDS. Know them in and out. Know your energy pathways.

I never thought I could walk out of the MCAT feeling good but I'm glad this one is over it's been a rough three months.

This is really good info. So basically what you're saying me doing TBR Chem and Physics passages was a waste of my time haha. What was the physical science section then if there isn't much chem or bio?

I never took psychology or sociology like you so I'm at a disadvantage. However, since you have a lot of background in it, how would you recommend me studying? I have TPR book. What else should I use.

How would you study for the bio section since you said it's brutal?

Thanks!

I took the test today too.

From reading through some posts on other threads and from April's before it was closed off, it seems to me that unfortunately the test (as hard as AAMC is trying not to do this) caters to your academic training. I have a behavioral sciences background, and this felt the psych/soc section was super easy, whereas most people's posts make me think they are going to have nightmares about it... Verbal was easy, longer than I anticipated though. I actually though b/bc was pretty easy too. However (and this is where again, background seems to play a role), I thought the chem/phys section was overall not like all the other aamc material and catered to people with strong bc backgrounds, and felt it was relatively difficult compared to the other three.

If there's one point I'd stress it would be to this: you don't want to be a person with an advanced science background crying over your psych section, and you don't want to be a social sciences background person crying over your bc sooooo go hard after your weak spots!

Members don't see this ad :)

Wasn't TPR biochem like one chapter? How'd you prepare for it?

No, I meant using only Khan videos for organic. Will that be enough in your opinion? I haven't even started reading the TPR Organic prep book…afraid I won't have time to do so.

The TPR organic book is super short, and I really liked their approach.

I didn't use any Khan academy videos, because I feel as though I can self learn through reading at a MUCH MUCH faster rate. I know that removes consideration for the visual learners, but I really do think that prep videos are so painful to sit through.

Wasn't TPR biochem like one chapter? How'd you prepare for it?

It's true, but I've taken Biochem (although I was disappointed in the breadth of a Biochem as a class). The organic chem book is a great compliment as it takes more of a fundamental approach.

Just to be clear, I chose TPR almost arbitrarily, I comment on it because it's the only one I used.

This is really good info. So basically what you're saying me doing TBR Chem and Physics passages was a waste of my time haha. What was the physical science section then if there isn't much chem or bio?

I never took psychology or sociology like you so I'm at a disadvantage. However, since you have a lot of background in it, how would you recommend me studying? I have TPR book. What else should I use.

Thanks!

The TPR book was all I needed. It's honestly the easiest section by far.. I fly through the passages and usually finish with 30-40 minutes left. Use the TPR book -- it has almost everything you will need (there's an addendum for ch 7 and 8 if you think that yours seems short). Go through the book, do the passages and be able to identify concepts from situations presented. It's something you need to practice. It'll be more difficult to grasp the concepts without application problems.

TPR chem/physics is an absolute waste of time. TPR bio in my opinion is horrible waste of time as well. There are certain areas that are high yield (respiratory, endocrine, cardiovascular, etc) for physical sciences and others (enzymes, DNA, bacteria) for bio. Oh one more tidbit, know your biochemical methods. If you know what sodium dodecyl sulfate is used for (hopefully from your biochem classes or labs) you will be golden.

I believe the new bio section isn't something you can study for. Sorry I know that's not what anyone wants to hear but it's all I got. Know relevant biological structures pertaining to ochem, they will combine many of the concepts. For those of you who read "The Economist" to practice for CARS, start reading pubmed research articles to prepare for the new bio section!

Reactions: 2 users
The TPR book was all I needed. It's honestly the easiest section by far.. I fly through the passages and usually finish with 30-40 minutes left. Use the TPR book -- it has almost everything you will need (there's an addendum for ch 7 and 8 if you think that yours seems short). Go through the book, do the passages and be able to identify concepts from situations presented. It's something you need to practice. It'll be more difficult to grasp the concepts without application problems.

TPR chem/physics is an absolute waste of time. TPR bio in my opinion is horrible waste of time as well. There are certain areas that are high yield (respiratory, endocrine, cardiovascular, etc) for physical sciences and others (enzymes, DNA, bacteria) for bio. Oh one more tidbit, know your biochemical methods. If you know what sodium dodecyl sulfate is used for (hopefully from your biochem classes or labs) you will be golden.

I believe the new bio section isn't something you can study for. Sorry I know that's not what anyone wants to hear but it's all I got. Know relevant biological structures pertaining to ochem, they will combine many of the concepts. For those of you who read "The Economist" to practice for CARS, start reading pubmed research articles to prepare for the new bio section!

How'd you study for biochem?

I'm checking out for the night and it's likely that I'm not going to reliably be back.

I encourage anyone who wants to chat more about the generals of preparing to PM me (I know I haven't been especially specific here) and I'll give you my contact info. I'm always eager to help and we can be as specific as desired (although not about the actual "contents," I won't be violating my MCAT agreement), so don't hesitate.

Good luck to all!

I'm checking out for the night and it's likely that I'm not going to reliably be back.

I encourage anyone who wants to chat more about the generals of preparing to PM me (I know I haven't been especially specific here) and I'll give you my contact info. I'm always eager to help and we can be as specific as desired (although not about the actual "contents," I won't be violating my MCAT agreement), so don't hesitate.

Good luck to all!
PM

I took my MCAT today 4/18 and well we can't really discuss anything about the content of the test, however here are a few thoughts on my experience.

For my prep, I did KAPLAN and some chads videos because I needed a little extra help with the physics portion, I did not take any psych class but I did read the Kaplan psych book and reviewed it a couple of times, aswell as watched some of khan academy videos, I took a biochemistry course at my school.

Overall the physical science section was not extremely hard. This MCAT definitely doesn't just test you on how well you memorized equations and how well you can do problems, but rather if you understand the big picture of the concept. IT IS ALOT OF CRITICAL THINKING. I personally did run out of time for this section but I feel that overrall is wasn't crazy bad. The CARS section was not super hard, don't get me wrong it's not a wal in the park but if you're focusing on the passages you should do good. The biological sciences was probably the hardest thing I've ever experienced in my life. Like some people mentioned above it is definitely not just about knowing the content. I believe that this portion of the test was the one that I struggled the most because it makes you think a lot. The behavioral sciences was not that bad. I mostly tackled this section like I did the CARS but some basic background in the behavioral sciences is required.

I completed 6 practice tests in the Kaplan website and I feel like the physical sciences were pretty spot on most of the time especially the physics. The CARS section was somewhat easier on the Kaplan tests than the actual MCAT. The biological sciences was 4x more difficult that the Kaplan, while the behavioral had some similarities however, I feel that kaplans psychology section focuses more on details rather than the overall picture.

Basically this test is much more of a critical thinking test than the previous MCAT. I would suggest you get used to the testing environment and try to take the practice tests all in one sitting because it's really hard to stay focused for 7 hours.

Did anyone void? I am 99% sure I hit void and then I hit next but wasn't given a confirmation or a confirmation sheet with the seal on it like they used to (but I think other test participants got it who didn't void?)

Did anyone void? I am 99% sure I hit void and then I hit next but wasn't given a confirmation or a confirmation sheet with the seal on it like they used to (but I think other test participants got it who didn't void?)
I got the confirmation sheet with a seal and I didn't void. So I think you're fine.

I took the old test today and the only thing I would highly recommend is going through the AAMC FL. Being comfortable with the way the questions are asked and how to deduce the answers from the information provided is essential on this new test. They emphasize critical thinking and you cannot just rely on easy FSQs to get you through a section. I would also recommend getting used to the taking the entire test. In comparison to the old test (an easy 3 hours) this one definitely tests your stamina and focus, which you really to practice. By the time you get to the last section, you will be absolutely burnt. Bring snacks, water, anything to keep your energy up. Don't be the guy who drank too much coffee and had to run out of the test room because he couldn't hold it.

Excellent. Thank you for your thorough response.

Hey guys, seeing as how there was hardly any physics and organic chemistry, do you guys think it is still wise to use TBR? I was planning to use TBR to really nail down everything, but it seems like the emphasis was on biochemistry/psych/sociology...

In a similar sense, is there a point in reading TBR biology books for physiology & etc.?

from a person that haven't taken the test yet, IMO TBR is still a really good source to study from. half of the bio in TBR is biochemistry (with the other half emphasis on physiology). also from what I've been reading (from people that took it this weekend), the bio section in the new mcat is pretty heavy on physiology, which makes using TBR reasonable. though, I haven't really gotten a good impression on any of the psych/socio material yet. but I've heard better review for Princeton for now...

You still need a broad understanding of cellular/physio, but ek bio should suffice. You don't need as indepth information as TBR. Knowing the basics will help you understand the contents of the passage better. Though the passage information will likely be entirely new to you, the basics will help you organize the information and put it into perspective.

Think about the advantage you, with a science background, would have reading pubmed articles over some random undergrad.

1. The AAMC practice test is the only one that was remotely similar to the real thing (big surprise!).

2. It would be impossible to over-study biochem.

3. Helpful for identifying weak areas during the early stages of content review. Not at all representative of the style of the test.

This exactly.

Reactions: 1 user
I took my MCAT today 4/18 and well we can't really discuss anything about the content of the test, however here are a few thoughts on my experience.

For my prep, I did KAPLAN and some chads videos because I needed a little extra help with the physics portion, I did not take any psych class but I did read the Kaplan psych book and reviewed it a couple of times, aswell as watched some of khan academy videos, I took a biochemistry course at my school.

Overall the physical science section was not extremely hard. This MCAT definitely doesn't just test you on how well you memorized equations and how well you can do problems, but rather if you understand the big picture of the concept. IT IS ALOT OF CRITICAL THINKING. I personally did run out of time for this section but I feel that overrall is wasn't crazy bad. The CARS section was not super hard, don't get me wrong it's not a wal in the park but if you're focusing on the passages you should do good. The biological sciences was probably the hardest thing I've ever experienced in my life. Like some people mentioned above it is definitely not just about knowing the content. I believe that this portion of the test was the one that I struggled the most because it makes you think a lot. The behavioral sciences was not that bad. I mostly tackled this section like I did the CARS but some basic background in the behavioral sciences is required.

I completed 6 practice tests in the Kaplan website and I feel like the physical sciences were pretty spot on most of the time especially the physics. The CARS section was somewhat easier on the Kaplan tests than the actual MCAT. The biological sciences was 4x more difficult that the Kaplan, while the behavioral had some similarities however, I feel that kaplans psychology section focuses more on details rather than the overall picture.

Basically this test is much more of a critical thinking test than the previous MCAT. I would suggest you get used to the testing environment and try to take the practice tests all in one sitting because it's really hard to stay focused for 7 hours.

how well did you do on the kaplans?

I took it yesterday (4/18). This was my second time taking the MCAT but my first time really studying for it. I self-studied using the new Kaplan MCAT 2015 books. There was really nothing on the test that wasn't somewhere in those books. Compared to the last time when I took it where my thinking was "Oh shoot I have no idea what this is," my feeling this time was "Oh shoot I remember studying this but I can't remember the answer"...so at least that's moving in the right direction. I thought the test was fair and there were no surprises. It does cater to different groups of people and I think is a better reflection of people's abilities. My recommendation to people is just do as many practice questions and tests as you can. Get the foundation from a study tool such as Kaplan and then practice, practice, practice! Because there's only one question per screen, clicking the "next" button can be a little tedious and makes it harder to quickly click an answer if you're running out of time, but I actually liked the one-question-per-page thing better because I got less distracted and was able to stay more focused on the question at hand. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
I've been a lurker of SDN for quite a while but I just had to make an account to comment on this thread.

For the Behavioral Sciences section, there were some comments that said that TPR's psych and soc book was adequate. How much of that book actually helps? I'm using it to study, but I find that it is VERY dense with emphasis on detail. For example, on the mental disorders chapter, instead of just explaining bipolar disorder, they split it into 3 subclasses and talk about their nuances in about a page. Do you think that TPR's book had too much info or just the right amount and you should memorize every single word?

I have to ask this because I was a psych major so I'm rather weak (comparatively to CARS and BS scores) in bio/physical sections. How specific was the orgo stuff? Like more general concepts or more focused on individual types of reactions?

El Curandero

I've been a lurker of SDN for quite a while but I just had to make an account to comment on this thread.

For the Behavioral Sciences section, there were some comments that said that TPR's psych and soc book was adequate. How much of that book actually helps? I'm using it to study, but I find that it is VERY dense with emphasis on detail. For example, on the mental disorders chapter, instead of just explaining bipolar disorder, they split it into 3 subclasses and talk about their nuances in about a page. Do you think that TPR's book had too much info or just the right amount and you should memorize every single word?
Oh trust me, TPR really skims the materials. Remember that there is a huge emphasis on the biological basis of behavior as well, and not just introductory psych/soc stuff. Check out Khan academy's videos for that since TPR does not go through everything.

You don't need to know everything. Big picture stuff is most important. For example, they touch up on the various types of schizophrenic disorders. Don't waste your time knowing every single difference but you should be able to identify the conditions if they present you with symptoms (general).

Oh trust me, TPR really skims the materials. Remember that there is a huge emphasis on the biological basis of behavior as well, and not just introductory psych/soc stuff. Check out Khan academy's videos for that since TPR does not go through everything.

You don't need to know everything. Big picture stuff is most important. For example, they touch up on the various types of schizophrenic disorders. Don't waste your time knowing every single difference but you should be able to identify the conditions if they present you with symptoms (general).

Awesome, good information. Something still irks me though. Catchm3, you said that TPR sufficed for the behavioral sciences section (at least the one that you took that day). Would you also reinforce your the TPR book with Khan videos? I'm taking the 6/19 MCAT and will finish content review later this week. If I have to add Khan videos to the mix though...might be a little while longer before content review is complete.

By the way, I really appreciate all the transparency you're giving. Really helps people like me out (though I doubt my performance will improve with this knowledge anyways, lol).

Awesome, good information. Something still irks me though. Catchm3, you said that TPR sufficed for the behavioral sciences section (at least the one that you took that day). Would you also reinforce your the TPR book with Khan videos? I'm taking the 6/19 MCAT and will finish content review later this week. If I have to add Khan videos to the mix though...might be a little while longer before content review is complete.
Hmm, well... that's actually what I ended up doing. Unlike TPR, Khan academy's biological basis of behavior section was far more comprehensive, especially when it came to psychiatric disorders. TPR was also sparse on the neurotransmitters. The videos are actually not going to take too long to get through, so long as you play everything on 1.5x speed and skip sections that you've already read about in TPR.

Even with the combination of TPR and Khan academy, you'll likely encounter some vocab that you haven't heard about. That's the unfortunate inconvenience of using prep material that speeds you through a year's worth a material. If you know your stuff well enough, you'll be able to figure weird vocab through process of elimination. But if you have the time, I would go through online flash cards on quizlet.

By the way, I really appreciate all the transparency you're giving. Really helps people like me out (though I doubt my performance will improve with this knowledge anyways, lol).

What does your content review consist of if you're planning to finish by this week? Just reviewing notes, doing discretes, or also doing passages from TBR/ TPR?

I double-majored in Biology and Psych so I have a pretty good foundation overall. And diseases of the mind fascinate me so I have a predilection towards these topics. I highly doubt they would test on specific questions twice (especially due to forums like this and reddit) but there are high yield topics that I can guarantee they will test on. I would advise knowing the various stages of development (Erikson, Freud, etc) and also knowing the big experiments (conditioning, bobo dolls, conformity, obedience). Also experimental design is also important to know, not only as a doctor but for this test ;). Use spreading activation (see what I did there?) to create maps of how each topic relates to the next and try to predict the different ways they can ask you the topics.

Thanks!
I spent most of my prep time doing TBR passages. I would say, most of the time was actually wasted. If you have learned how to read scientific research paper, you will be good on bio section. If you have taken biochem class, and with a solid knowledge base, you will be good on physical science. (I did most questions based on the biochem I took last year.) For psych/soc, I felt that Kahn academy video was the most helpful. For CARS, I don't want to talk about it. I'm an ESL student so it was no doubt a nightmare for me. I didn't finish it.

Like I've mentioned before, I did KAPLAN practice tests. Most of the psych portion of those practice tests were testing if you knew the theory/researcher/case and how well you knew it. I found that the real test relied less on how well you knew the stuff and more on if you can interpret it well. Like I said, I tackled it like I would have tackled the CARS section. However, I'm not saying to go in there without studying any psych because some of the questions are part of the material you should have learned from the review books. Also I've mentioned this before, I didn't take a psych/sociology course. I just read my KAPLAN books and reviewed each chapter. If I didn't understand something I looked up the corresponding khan academy videos. Personally, I think this was the easiest portion of the test compared to the rest of the test.... Which is a good thing since it is the last and where you're about to burn out.

For those test-takers who used did FLs from different sources, is it worth it to get the Kaplan set just for access to those exams? Are the EK exams worth the ridiculous $50 price tag?

I would like a couple of more tests to build endurance for the May 22 exam. I have two TPR tests left; the NS tests have proven to be a big disappointment, so I might just use the Pych/Soc sections for my remaining tests to ensure I know all the concepts. Is the Bio section from the old MCATs (9-11) a good alternate option?

I'm going through the AAMC test as well as the question guides, and will also use the Khan passages.

:/ so it looks like the consensus is that TBR is a waste of time... Looks like my main study material is going to have to change this summer lol.

Should I switch to Kaplan guys?

:/ so it looks like the consensus is that TBR is a waste of time... Looks like my main study material is going to have to change this summer lol.

Kaplan was solid IMO...but none of the prep companies give an adequate way to learn how to interpret data and apply clinical data to answering questions...which was a LARGE part of how the test was (again just my opinion)...I would highly suggest taking time each day to read at least 1 scientific journal article, especially relating to Biochem. Knowing how to quickly interpret data and use it is worth its wait in gold on this new test

I used TBR like the moderator here recommended for the old mcat. I'm a physics major, so I didn't study the physics book hard, but I think TBR helped me out for bio/biochem, and it's good for background on chemistry and physics.

But like has already been said, physics, gen chem, and ochem are low yield on the new mcat. So TBR's long physics, general chemistry, and organic chemistry books are ineffective resources.

I don't know jack about kaplan

Edit: I meant inefficient, not ineffective. They've got all the info still, but the emphases are misplaced

Last edited:

I did KAPLAN and I feel like they had a lot of practice to help you understand the concepts. They have like 11 practice tests out, they give you everything the AAMC gives you included in the course, they have their own little passage based quizzes to make sure you're understanding the material. So if you have the money go for it, I don't think it's absolutely necessary since you can buy the books and teach that info yourself, but they do supply you with a lot of practice that is somewhat accurate. I agree with the comment above me I definitely think you should be reading atleast abstracts of scientific articles to be familiar with how the info will be presented to you, but practicing the timing and knowing how to approach certain question will definitely help.

Thanks for posting the info re: PubMed research articles. First one I looked up was replete with graphs, equations, passages... and I quickly mapped it all out. Awesome (even better if somehow AAMC uses that particular research for an exam question... yes, I dream)

How I feel reading posts about the new MCAT

tumblr_inline_nmz9kxNSzv1r79k32_500.gif

Reactions: 9 users
Thanks for posting the info re: PubMed research articles. First one I looked up was replete with graphs, equations, passages... and I quickly mapped it all out. Awesome (even better if somehow AAMC uses that particular research for an exam question... yes, I dream)

What do you search up? There's so any options I'm confused as to how to start.