Medical To deposit or to not - DO school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Long story short I had an acceptance into a DO school that is on Goro’s bad list. I am still not 100% sure if I would end up matriculating to due to some issues with the school. Currently I have two MD IIs and a DO II. I expect to hear back from one of the schools around the 20th. My other MD interview I woukd likely hear back around January. My other DO school II is in Feb.

My dilemma is essentially if or if I shouldn’t pay this deposit. I know it might be a poor idea to bet on the remaining three schools. The deposit is pretty expensive.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Although unlikely, is the deposit (or any portion of the deposit) refundable? Even within a particular timeframe? When is the deposit due.

Generally shouldn't apply to schools you dont plan to or want to attend.

That said, you apply and interviewed and received an offer of acceptance. One really shouldn't decline their only acceptance either.

While expensive, it's a drop in the buck in the long run compared to losing a year's income (or more) as an attending.... or worse, all pay as an attending if no acceptances come through this or future cycles.

Personally, if there is overlap with other interviews and timeframes to hear back, I'd wait. If deposit is due before other interviews are had or prior to hearing back, I'd place the deposit in case it's the only option.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO deposits are usually nonrefundable but people put deposits down on the first A knowing they have leverage to go elsewhere should another A congress along. People give up non refundable deposits all the time when the cycle ends.

So if there is a deadline and you haven't heard anything back, wait until the deadline to put the deposit down. Unless there is something very negative that you experienced during your interview day (more than just being on the naughty list), I would put down the deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.