To Letter-of-Intent or Not to Letter-of-Intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had one interview so far (Jefferson)
And in the span of the last 36 hours I got invited to two more interviews (SLU and schoolX)

The issue is, while the one I already interviewed at is my top choice (Jefferson), I still want to attend one of my new interviews (schoolX) to check out the campus and faculty as I may be interested in applying for residencies here, and don't want to ruin my relationship with the committee by turning down an intw invite I actually asked for.

Jefferson's committee is going to meet this week about my file and decide on the spot whether to accept me or to waitlist me. Getting off the waitlist is not easy. So I want to send a letter of intent so to increase my chances of getting accepted right away.

If they accept me this week, I will gladly turn down the SLU invite. However, if I send a letter of intent and they accept me based on that, would it be unethical for me to attend schoolX's interview?

Totally between the two.

To letter-of-intent or not to letter-of-intent

or to wait till I hear back this week?
or is there something else I could do which could address all my needs?

Members don't see this ad.

no responses?

I could be in the minority , but I don't view a LOI as a huge help. The school knows you want to go there.

I don't know a whole lot about Jefferson, but how many LOI's would you think they receive annually?

Also, I don't mean to be Debbie Downer, but suppose LOI and everything, you still get waitlisted or rejected. Would you turn down the other 2 schools and wait until next year just so you could go to Jefferson?

As far as 1 school for residency...there will be plenty of others.

But personally, I'd really keep my options open, and go to the other 2 interviews without a commitment to Jefferson, just in case the worst happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just write a letter of interest/update and go to your other interviews.

If you get in and for sure want to attend Jefferson, no need to go to other interviews.

I would just write a letter of interest/update and go to your other interviews.

If you get in and for sure want to attend Jefferson, no need to go to other interviews.
:thumbup: Letter of interest for sure. Pre-waitlist letter of intent = desperate. Email directly to the dean of admissions.

:thumbup: Letter of interest for sure. Pre-waitlist letter of intent = desperate. Email directly to the dean of admissions.

I've already written a letter of interest :(

Emailed directly to the dean of admissions

and she responded very positively.....

Jefferson's committee is going to meet this week about my file and decide on the spot whether to accept me or to waitlist me.

Only if your interviewer shows up at the committee meeting. S/he may or may not. Some people hear within one week of their interview; others have waited 4 or 5 weeks or more to hear back. Personally, until I got the phone call from Dr. Callahan I wouldn't be turning down interview invites from other schools.

The "letter of intent" issue is very simple: If they accept you will you turn down other offers of acceptance and attend that school?

If yes, do it and be very strong about your intent. I know for a fact that, if done well and honorably, they can and do work.

If no, don't do it as you will be entering your new profession based on a lie.

ok so i looked at how much its going to cost for me to attend these other interviews and i can't seem to be able to justify spending $1000 when the only place I really want to go to is Jefferson.

I wont turn down any interviews until an acceptance.
But I do need to help increase my chances of an acceptance.

and is there any way that a letter of intent would hurt my chances at an acceptance? any way at all?

is there anything more useful than a letter of intent?

(i've already sent a letter of interest, to which they've responded positively)

as I may be interested in applying for residencies here, and don't want to ruin my relationship with the committee by turning down an intw invite I actually asked for.

I have no response to your overall question, but wanted to highlight this as this concept has popped up in a couple of posts lately.

Med school admissions and residency are completely separate. You are not going to "burn a bridge" or hurt your chances for residency. No one will know or care in four years whether you interviewed there or not, whether you turned them down for an interview, etc., etc. etc.

Short of you dropping trou in the middle of an interview or setting the school on fire - NOTHING at this stage in the game will hurt you when it comes time for residency applications.

I think....once you're waitlisted... LOI can have significant effects. Pre-interview not as big of a deal. I wrote them, but more so because I was going to send updates to schools and I figured I might as well talk about how much I wanted to go to them. They don't have negative effects, so there's really no hurt in trying. Good luck.

so i just sent in a letter of intent yesterday by snail mail to the dean through the office of admissions and i was reading this thread and wondering if i should email the dean directly my letter too based on what everyone else was saying. i guess it cant hurt right?

I sent mine in paper form but using UPS overnight priority so that it goes directly to his office. snail mail goes to the main mailroom for the school and usually takes a bit to get there. Costs $, but at least they know you're serious.

got waitlisted at jeff

wasn't totally expecting it

was going to send them my letter of intent right now..

oh well..

i think i'm going to have to sit back and just think for a while

got waitlisted at jeff

oh well..

High priority wait list or regular wait list?

got waitlisted at jeff

oh well..

Look on the bright side, friend. You've got 2 more interviews :) Alot of people didn't get that many

Personally I can't see the down side to sending a LOI, it seems to me like it can only help. So I say go for it and send one.

Look on the bright side, friend. You've got 2 more interviews :) Alot of people didn't get that many

yes i am grateful

its just a little heart-breaking though when you see yourself as a great fit for something. and that something doesn't feel the same way. and you know that you just have to get over the hurt, and try to be civil, objective, and positive-minded

yes i am grateful

its just a little heart-breaking though when you see yourself as a great fit for something. and that something doesn't feel the same way. and you know that you just have to get over the hurt, and try to be civil, objective, and positive-minded
Sorry man, it really does sting when you feel like you are not wanted. But what you shared is great material for a letter of intent. Put it in writing along with whatever else you wrote and send it on over there May 1. This is what letters of intent were meant for, getting off the waitlist. Good luck!:luck: