To PD: Question about releasing COMLEX II score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jk00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a DO student applying for IM residency in low tier University programs. Just received my COMLEX II score which is 75 and I need an advice on whether or not I should release it? My USMLE step I score is 200 which is already released and I haven't taken Step 2. Would it benefit or hurt me if I let the programs know that I have passed COMLEX II which is required for graduation and how will it affect my ranking? Thanks...........

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure that there is a simple question. You passed, which is good. Your score is low, which is not so good.

What to do depends on the rest of your application. If you;ve had difficulty with standardized tests (i.e. failed Step 1 before passing), etc, then releasing a passing score might help. If the rest of your application looks fine, then this score is worse than your Step 1 score and I'd probably not release it unless asked.

Thanks alot for replying. Rest of my application is good, I have excellent grades in all of my clinical rotations, strong letters of rec, and all my interviews are also going well. Would not releasing the score significantly lower my rank on program's rank list or would it have minimal effect??

If programs don't ask, it will have no effect. If a program asks and you don't release it, they might assume the worst. Most programs will not ask. Hence, I expect it will have little effect.

Thus: don't release it unless asked. If asked, you'll need to decide if you release it to all programs or simply email it to those that ask.