Today in vet school I learned...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a fun thread where everyone can post the bizzare, esoteric facts they've picked up as they go through their vet school journey. While vet school can be a challenge, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now!

Today in vet school, I learned that the pancreas is not a cuddly organ.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like fun!

Not a happy topic by any means, but I was surprised and found this interesting to know....in vet school I learned that bute is on the lifetime ban list for slaughter.

Today I learned that "Saturdays" really do exist and aren't some mythical thing made up by people with too much free time while the rest of us are usually slaving away.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do anesthesia on a fish and do surgery on them out of the water by dissolving the anesthetic into the water and intubating them so it runs through their gills but the rest of th stay dry!

Not a Darn thing because its saturday!!!! Oh wait.... isnt there a physio exam on monday I should be studying for?? lol

There is a sublingual immunotherapy for dogs instead of allergy shots.

You can do anesthesia on a fish and do surgery on them out of the water by dissolving the anesthetic into the water and intubating them so it runs through their gills but the rest of th stay dry!

That was one of my favorite times on clinics... terminal surgeries on trout during my fish health rotation. So awesome.

We did this last year, and it still amazes me. Anesthetizing a bucket of fish is kind of fun to watch too. :) In the vein of fun fish facts, the heart keeps beating for a long time after they die. You can take the heart completely out and poke it and it'll start beating again.

what agent did you use? when we did it here and in mexico, we just used clove oil but i don't think thats "legal" in the us

what agent did you use? when we did it here and in mexico, we just used clove oil but i don't think thats "legal" in the us

MS-222 is the accepted anesthetic agent for fish (I used it in my research and we spoke about it in my zoo class)

Here they recently switched from MS222 to propofol (just squirted into the water).

I learned that excessive coffee is not the answer..... Feel so sick!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here they recently switched from MS222 to propofol (just squirted into the water).

Fascinating. MS-222 (Tricaine Methanesulfonate; 'Finquel') has been the gold standard for years, in both fish and amphibians. Is the use of Propofol in these species new? For those of you that have experience using both, are there any differences in performance/recovery time between MS-222 and Propofol? The washout with MS-222 can be difficult to predict.

Sounds like fun!

Not a happy topic by any means, but I was surprised and found this interesting to know....in vet school I learned that bute is on the lifetime ban list for slaughter.

Eating bute is bad news bears. Aplastic anaemia and loss of white blood cells? No thanks.

Eating bute is bad news bears. Aplastic anaemia and loss of white blood cells? No thanks.

I'd feel more comfortable if it wasn't on the honour system with random testing. :scared: It's not something that I choose to consume, but for the sake of others...

I learned I am not cut out for night shift! And I also learned that rolling a cow with an LDA really does work!

Fascinating. MS-222 (Tricaine Methanesulfonate; 'Finquel') has been the gold standard for years, in both fish and amphibians. Is the use of Propofol in these species new? For those of you that have experience using both, are there any differences in performance/recovery time between MS-222 and Propofol? The washout with MS-222 can be difficult to predict.

Yeah, it's definitely something new, and I heard about it in the context of a pet fish. I'm not sure if it's been used in lab animals much or not. The doctor I talked to said it was great, good induction and recovery and much less work than MS222 as far as calculating doses.

I'd feel more comfortable if it wasn't on the honour system with random testing. :scared: It's not something that I choose to consume, but for the sake of others...

I don't really know the monitoring scheme in the US. I know in the UK you have to write in the horse's passport exactly what you gave and that it is no longer fit for human consumption. And meat tracking is super easy here, so if a vet doesn't do that they will for sure lose their job.

I don't really know the monitoring scheme in the US. I know in the UK you have to write in the horse's passport exactly what you gave and that it is no longer fit for human consumption. And meat tracking is super easy here, so if a vet doesn't do that they will for sure lose their job.

:thumbup: That's sounds like a good system. I'm not sure about the U.S. either, but here there's basically a form that the vet and the owner sign stating the horse has never received any of the prohibited drugs and that's it. With how common and cheap bute is, I certainly wonder about how often it makes it into the plant.

Vet school can't fix stupid.

Enough said.

Yeah, it's definitely something new, and I heard about it in the context of a pet fish. I'm not sure if it's been used in lab animals much or not. The doctor I talked to said it was great, good induction and recovery and much less work than MS222 as far as calculating doses.

:thumbup: Thanks for responding, Bunnity. The MS-222 titration can be tricky. I'd like to try using Propofol. I'll check out my facility's experience with this drug's application in aquatics. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

Knew a woman once that took an entire tab (1 tab = 1,000 pounds) for a migraine. She spent the entire day tripping out and staring at the pretty colors on the wall, but turned out okay. :laugh:

While I have never done it myself nor have any desire, I've definitely known more than a few horse people to take a a small dose of bute for some sort of ache or pain. And I even knew a vet that dosed himself with SMZ tablets when he felt a cold brewing.

Knew a woman once that took an entire tab (1 tab = 1,000 pounds) for a migraine. She spent the entire day tripping out and staring at the pretty colors on the wall, but turned out okay. :laugh:

While I have never done it myself nor have any desire, I've definitely known more than a few horse people to take a a small dose of bute for some sort of ache or pain. And I even knew a vet that dosed himself with SMZ tablets when he felt a cold brewing.

Yeah...SMZs are ok because they are technically a human drug we use in equine med.

Yeah, I kind of doubt SMZ will do anything for his cold virus though....

Probs not...besides building up nice resistance...however...it will not kill you like bute can.

Horses are always the exception.

People actually dose themselves with bute for aches and pains? Geez, I always thought it was kids being stupid.

Yeah...SMZs are ok because they are technically a human drug we use in equine med.

Good to know. I'll add it to my mental list of horse stuff I'm willing to use on myself (like poultice and Surpass). Partially kidding. ;)

People actually dose themselves with bute for aches and pains? Geez, I always thought it was kids being stupid.

Oh yeah...dosage = one small bite :rolleyes:

What's the deal with banamine? Is it just as bad for you as bute? 'Cause I've heard of people using that as well. (Definitely not asking for my own use...just curious what you wise vet students learn.)

Surpass is magical.

AMEN TO THAT! And you people across the pond are so lucky cause it's OTC in human version, right?

PS. Sorry for crashing a vet student thread....

to ****ing trust my gut....

didn't put this answer down for a question cause I was certain I was making up the word.... I wasn't.

but also I learned how much colics cost here ($5200-7000 average)

What's the deal with banamine? Is it just as bad for you as bute? 'Cause I've heard of people using that as well. (Definitely not asking for my own use...just curious what you wise vet students learn.)

AMEN TO THAT! And you people across the pond are so lucky cause it's OTC in human version, right?

Hmm...Banamine is way more potent, so I would expect it to be worse. I think it goes after liver cells? Can't remember.

And I dunno...I haven't used it here/had to buy things here :p

I have seen people take it for hangovers quite a bit. :rolleyes: Haven't learned anything specific yet, though I don't think it's as potentially dangerous, but that's only what I've heard. People will be stupid regardless, I suppose.

that schleping boxes of soda ~1.5 miles is not a good time.

that schleping boxes of soda ~1.5 miles is not a good time.

I did this with 40lbs of cat litter once during the frigid, snowy Canadian winter. Not a good time and not recommended.

We learned about this today!! Our teacher said that clove oil is acceptable, but not as consistant so he prefers MS222.

This is my main take home message more or less every single day.

Oh, I had a moment of feeling smart in icu on Saturday when one of the experienced techs asked me what the implication of a particularly critical lab value was for one of our patients. She said "What will that do to him?" and I started to feel pretty smart ... until I realized I had absolutely no idea what the answer was. "Well, it will ... um ... it's like ... er ... ahem ... it's, uh, difficult to explain, ya know, but, um, it'll be bad. You know."

So I got about 1.5 seconds of smart followed by hours of "wow, I'm a total dumb-ass."

I don't know about banamine or bute but as a horse person I know a lot of us take Robaxin (methocarbamol) for back aches pretty frequently. I've never done it because I have skelaxin prescribed from an MD but it's a common thing to see.

I don't know about banamine or bute but as a horse person I know a lot of us take Robaxin (methocarbamol) for back aches pretty frequently. I've never done it because I have skelaxin prescribed from an MD but it's a common thing to see.

At a hospital I no longer work at, it was common for people to take tramadol for any ache....even before ibuprofen or acetaminophen.

From what I understand that hospital locks it up now.

...the physiological reasons why you die if a plastic bag is plastered over your head.

At a hospital I no longer work at, it was common for people to take tramadol for any ache....even before ibuprofen or acetaminophen.

From what I understand that hospital locks it up now.

I hope so, it's now controlled!

Had a tech friend take a 500mg methocarbamol in an act of desperation before getting to her doctor...who laughed because apparently that's not enough to even touch a human. :p

I hope so, it's now controlled!

Had a tech friend take a 500mg methocarbamol in an act of desperation before getting to her doctor...who laughed because apparently that's not enough to even touch a human. :p

its not controlled everywhere yet. and its certainly easy to get hold of.

Today at 2am I learned about Protein C, the clotting factor that can be tested for in animals with porto-systemic shunts.