Toledo MSBS 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabbythecat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted today! Anyone else here? Any past students who can give advice for students starting the program?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got accepted today! Anyone else here? Any past students who can give advice for students starting the program?
Congratulations. Are you going to accept? I was accepted too I think. It says "Decision made - Applicant acceptance'

Congratulations. Are you going to accept? I was accepted too I think. It says "Decision made - Applicant acceptance'
Yes, I’m attending! I got an email too from the department with a confirmation of acceptance. It sounds like you got in too, not sure why you didn’t get an email!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, congrats on getting accepted! I'm an M1 who did MSBS last year. Let me know if any questions/anything I can help with.

Yes, I’m attending! I got an email too from the department with a confirmation of acceptance. It sounds like you got in too, not sure why you didn’t get an email!
Any information relating to this is highly appreciated...My application status reads as 'Decision Made - Applicant Acceptance'. Based on their description it means I'm accepted. But haven't received any communication from the University. It is mentioned as this...Applicants with a U.S. mailing address should receive their admission packet within two weeks after a decision of `Institution Acceptance' or `Applicant Acceptance'. Any one in my situation?

Any information relating to this is highly appreciated...My application status reads as 'Decision Made - Applicant Acceptance'. Based on their description it means I'm accepted. But haven't received any communication from the University. It is mentioned as this...Applicants with a U.S. mailing address should receive their admission packet within two weeks after a decision of `Institution Acceptance' or `Applicant Acceptance'. Any one in my situation?

Sounds to me like you were accepted. Weird you haven’t received any communication though! I got an email when I was accepted. Wouldn’t hurt to email the admissions department and find out what’s going on.

Sounds to me like you were accepted. Weird you haven’t received any communication though! I got an email when I was accepted. Wouldn’t hurt to email the admissions department and find out what’s going on.
Thanks for your reply. Guess what, UT sent an acceptance email the same day I was accepted - March 18. It went straight to my spam folder. The portal told us to expect an admissions packet by mail and I was looking for a packet in the mail. Since I saw 'EMAIL' in gabbythecat's post, I went and looked in the spam folder!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your reply. Guess what, UT sent an acceptance email the same day I was accepted - March 18. It went straight to my spam folder. The portal told us to expect an admissions packet by mail and I was looking for a packet in the mail. Since I saw 'EMAIL' in gabbythecat's post, I went and looked in the spam folder!
I'm happy to hear! Will you be attending?

Could you tell us more about the linkage to Toledo? Thank you!!

Sure! Everyone who gets a certain GPA gets an interview. I think it’s like a 3.0. Everyone I knew my year got an interview so it’s very doable. Whether or not you actually get in is dependent on the whole picture - how well you did in the program, how your interview went, what the rest of your app looks like, etc

Sure! Everyone who gets a certain GPA gets an interview. I think it’s like a 3.0. Everyone I knew my year got an interview so it’s very doable. Whether or not you actually get in is dependent on the whole picture - how well you did in the program, how your interview went, what the rest of your app looks like, etc
Do many people- with good apps- get in? Or is it that everyone with a 3.0 got an interview but no one was accepted?

Hey! How do you like the program? Is it helpful? Is the required research component difficult?
The program is literally 1st year medical school...just a little light version but to be honest the program is a bit opaque in terms of weather you get in or not...a large part of our MSBS class still hasn't received any interview invite, they will interview is end of April early may and let us know if we got in by end of June! Which is already into the next cycle, and shows that they bank on taking ppl in from waiting lists.... If you're out of state, probably not worth it, if instate, maybe try it. In the end you decide if it is worth it or not... Research is not that bad but also depends on which lab you join..some labs are great with awesome people there a d some just have a bad environment. The thing is you choose the lab you join.

If you're still coming to program, please make sure to not just bank on this school and it's opaque money grab ing program. Do apply to other schools in a timely manner and also plan to retake MCAT or volunteer to patch any issues in your application here. Do not go by what GV the program director says as most of the time he himself has been kept out of conversations by the adcoms. So if you have a 503-502 or something along those scores, apply to DO schools and try and retake the MCAT with good prep to better your school and thus your chances of getting in. I know a lot of my friends here didn't bank on this like last year's class who got screwed( look at their response in the last year's thread if you can), so a lot of us are either already WL somewhere or accepted already also. But I guess only time will tell if they will take in more than 20 but look at all the options available very carefully.
I will try to answer all the questions you can have! Dm me or ask it here!

Hey! How do you like the program? Is it helpful? Is the required research component difficult?
The program is literally 1st year medical school...just a little light version but to be honest the program is a bit opaque in terms of weather you get in or not...a large part of our MSBS class still hasn't received any interview invite, they will interview is end of April early may and let us know if we got in by end of June! Which is already into the next cycle, and shows that they bank on taking ppl in from waiting lists.... If you're out of state, probably not worth it, if instate, maybe try it. In the end you decide if it is worth it or not... Research is not that bad but also depends on which lab you join..some labs are great with awesome people there a d some just have a bad environment. The thing is you choose the lab you join.

If you're still coming to program, please make sure to not just bank on this school and it's opaque money grab ing program. Do apply to other schools in a timely manner and also plan to retake MCAT or volunteer to patch any issues in your application here. Do not go by what GV the program director says as most of the time he himself has been kept out of conversations by the adcoms. So if you have a 503-502 or something along those scores, apply to DO schools and try and retake the MCAT with good prep to better your school and thus your chances of getting in. I know a lot of my friends here didn't bank on this like last year's class who got screwed( look at their response in the last year's thread if you can), so a lot of us are either already WL somewhere or accepted already also. But I guess only time will tell if they will take in more than 20 but look at all the options available very carefully.
I will try to answer all the questions you can have! Dm me or ask it here!
I would agree with everything they've said! Although I have really enjoyed my time in this program (more than I thought I would). The classes are tough but if you spend a couple of hours each day (I do maybe 2 hours a day) outside of class studying you will do fine.

The other thing I really like about this program is that we have M1 Peer Leaders who host review sessions every week on the new material we have learned. It has helped me so much in consolidating my studying.

Again, don't bank on getting in here by just applying to UT. Many of my classmates have interviewed at DO schools and have gotten in as their backup.

In terms of research, everyone has a different PI so the amount of time you spend in the lab will depend on what you are doing. Most PI's are really understanding of the amount of work that you have and some will even give you the week off from research on exam weeks.

Hi everyone!
I made a groupme for students that will be attending the MSBS program this Fall! Feel free to join :)

Join this groupme!

I'll post since I haven't seen anything in any threads about this yet, acceptances/waitlists for the '21-'22 MSBS program into the incoming M1 class of '26 had started a couple of days after June 6th. Most, if not all students have likely heard back at this point (June 21st) with either an acceptance or waitlist. It is too early to call the numbers since not all students communicate to each other what they heard from ADCOM. Here's what we know so far: 53 started the program in the fall, 47 followed through to the summer. Of the 47, we are not sure who was accepted or waitlisted, although nobody was outright rejected that we know of. At the moment, we know that more than 30% were accepted from the program but we don't know how much more than that since not everybody talks. These are not the final numbers so disregard them for now. Somebody will have the data by August at the latest.

So some information for incoming students, like many have indicated this program will not make up for your entire application lacking. In years past, MCAT above 503 and GPA > 3.4 (in this program) have seemed to be good indicators of an acceptance - whether outright or off of the waitlist. Admissions is a mystery to everyone. This year has not been an exception with some being waitlisted with MCAT >> 503 and GPA > 3.7 and a good application outside of stats. The students coming into this program will receive advice during orientation. If you are still on the fence about it like I was at the beginning, even if we do not have a great acceptance rate to UT from this program, our chances of matriculation this following cycle are very high. That alone is worth it for most people including myself who were lacking in some areas of their application. At the end of the day your application is everything you've done and this program can add quite a bit of substance to it. Each application is unique so it's very hard to tell you exactly what you need to get an acceptance. You should try to be above some baseline values though, MCAT higher than 503 and GPA in the program above 3.3. The 3.0 minimum is the interview cutoff and not what you should aim for. Every year it seems admissions tells the program they will hear back by the beginning of June but in reality, it usually falls towards mid or end of June which is late. Have a contingency plan if you do this program, be ready for a waitlist, and don't fall into the "I'm in" mentality that some of us adopt. You'd honestly do better picking the winning March Madness bracket than knowing who will get in from the program, so focus on yourself because it truly comes down to your application! Somebody else or I will update with the numbers in the future, until then good luck to the incoming MSBS class and my current classmates!

Reactions: 1 users