Toledo MSBS 2023-2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted702537

Hello,

I recently got accepted to the MSBS program at Toledo. Want to connect with those who are planning to attend the program! ☺️

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I recently got accepted to the MSBS program at Toledo. Want to connect with those who are planning to attend the program! ☺️
Is it too late to apply, I want to apply but I feel like I will just be wasting my time since its so late.

No it is not too late! I called the advisor and they said the application is opened until May or even June I believe. Classes do not start until August !

Members don't see this ad :)
Just my 2 cents from being part of this program a couple of years ago. This program is like 50% of the actual medical school's first year, minus the details and working as student doctors. However, this program is absolutely the worst in terms of what it says it offers and what it actually offers. They make a big deal about this being a pipeline program, however, toledo has more than a few pipeline programs and thus this one may just be a money grab for them. For example, they advertised an 80% matriculation rate in the prior years, and that is what made this worth it. The problem is that was when they had 25-28 ppl and of them, 20ish got in. They ran into some financial issues as an institution, and all of a sudden they started taking 50ish students( my class size in 2021-22) and the year prior, and still only 20ish people got in, with most actually getting in through a waitlist. The tuition was 40k for instate and 80k for out-of-state, without living expenses accounted for. The guaranteed interview happened for us in the end of April through the end of May, and decisions were not out until mid-June, and even then, only 6 people got indirectly, with the rest being on the waitlist. A couple of issues- by then the new cycle is already in the full swing. So you're actually behind the curve if you don't get in and have to start applying, so now you're a year or 2 down, out of probably at least 50k, and with not a lot of progress towards getting into medical school. So if you're going into this thinking that toledo medical school is your future, be very careful and think hard. this is early enough that you have other options if you so desire to apply and look towards them. There were of course more things that were awful about the program and if you want I can make a detailed message about it, but for now, this is what I wanted to say.

Now that I have bashed this program hard, I also want to say what was actually good about the program. That is research!! you are required to do a year of research in this program and this could result in some publications and thus lead to more well-rounded applications. If your GPA is an issue in your application, you can use the classes here to demonstrate to other schools in future cycles that you can perform in classes. This would also somewhat emulate medical school, which would help you in preparation for it( mind you, the actual med school is harder, and you will need lots of support, which I think toledo lacked, seriously, but maybe that's because we are not actual medical school students yet?). If your MCAT is what is holding you back, then please, think hard if you even need this because you could not study for mcat during this program, and it is an important metric tbh. This program accepted students with less than 500 scores and gave them hope that they would accept them, and even told them that don't retake the mcat, which is just plain wrong- not a single one of the 20 accepted in my year or the years before( I talked to the students who did MSBS) had gotten in without at least a 505+ score.

This post is already longer than I wanted it to be, but if you have any questions reach out and I will do my best to answer it.

Current MSBS student here. Our class size is only 26 people and we are hoping that means they will take closer to 80% again this year. Overall I have really enjoyed this program and feel like I have learned a ton. However, I will say that it has been incredibly stressful waiting for UTCOM, as they historically interview the msbs program quite late in the cycle. No one in my class has received an interview invitation yet. Feel free to ask me any questions you have on the program or about UT in general!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for all the info!

How intensive is the program? How many hours do you study outside of classes? Are classes mandatory or they are recorded? I know MSBS students required to do 10 hours of research weekly. How intensive is the research work, and how likely it is to get published ? How are the faculty? How are the program coordinators?

Thanks so much for all the info!

How intensive is the program? How many hours do you study outside of classes? Are classes mandatory or they are recorded? I know MSBS students required to do 10 hours of research weekly. How intensive is the research work, and how likely it is to get published ? How are the faculty? How are the program coordinators?
Yes the program is definitely intensive. It is basically a mock year of medical school as you learn very similar content and are taught by many of the same instructors.

The studying question is a bit tricky for me, because I am the worst procrastinator on the planet😂 I tend to cram two days before the exams and really stress myself out.. would NOT recommend this lol.. however, I think the majority of the class would say that you should study a little everyday to keep up with the material. Really just depends on the type of learner you are and how easily you pick up on things!!

Classes are mandatory and we usually have sign in sheets. They are still recorded if you want to rewatch later. The nice thing is that for the most part, you do not have several classes going on at a time, so that helps out when studying. Schedule starts out pretty chill in the beginning of the fall and you will have a lot of free time. BUT, towards the end of the semester, say goodbye to the freedom. Between anatomy lecture and lab and studying and research, you will be pretty busy. Spring semester is busier than beginning of fall, but not as busy as end of fall! Summer is really just research and a few seminars, but should be fairly chill.

Your research experience will vary completely depending on what kind of lab you choose to join. Some of my friends joined wet labs where they have to physically go to the lab to do their research -very time consuming (not my cup of tea). I chose to join a clinical lab that would allow me to do my research from my computer whenever I want and I do not regret my decision at all. I will admit that the students in my lab have done significantly less work than some of our fellow classmates. You will have the opportunity to meet with several PI’s and discuss their lab and expectations before you need to choose one, so just go with what you know you’ll enjoy! (and that you feel you can handle)
I think that it is fairly likely that you will get a publication out of your research in MSBS, but again, that is something you can bring up and discuss during your meetings with the PI’s!!

I have had very good experiences with all of the instructors and faculty. Obviously some professors are more interesting to listen to than others, but overall I do not have any complaints.

Program coordinators are AMAZING. Anita is the sweetest ever and you can go chat with her whenever you want to. She is like our MSBS mother lol

Overall my only complaints so far are that admissions does not prioritize you at all. They wait to interview you until the very last moment and it causes a lot of stress throughout the spring semester. As I said, I am unsure how the decisions process will play out for this years class, but will happily update when we know more.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much again! This is super helpful! Toledo is definitely top choice considering how close it is from home and the in-state tuition for me.

And yes please! Keep us updated 😊

Hi everyone! Did the MSBS program this year. We don't have the exact stats yet, but they took a big chunk of our class. They took, right off the bat, around 65% of us and waitlisted the rest. WL movement could still happen tho

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! I recently got accepted here and a few other SMPs but decided to attend this one! This is kind of a shot in the dark but does anyone know if there are any groups or group chats formed for this year's class? I haven't found a facebook one. Also does anyone know when the program actually starts?

As a side note ty to all the previous students who wrote up all this info, it was incredibly helpful!

Hey everyone! I recently got accepted here and a few other SMPs but decided to attend this one! This is kind of a shot in the dark but does anyone know if there are any groups or group chats formed for this year's class? I haven't found a facebook one. Also does anyone know when the program actually starts?

As a side note ty to all the previous students who wrote up all this info, it was incredibly helpful!
Unsure about any group chats for the class.. but we started the program last year at the end of august (I believe the 22nd). The advisor will probably be in contact with you mid July with more information!
Disclaimer: you should get used to finding things out pretty last minute lol, that is just how Toledo rolls😅

Unsure about any group chats for the class.. but we started the program last year at the end of august (I believe the 22nd). The advisor will probably be in contact with you mid July with more information!
Disclaimer: you should get used to finding things out pretty last minute lol, that is just how Toledo rolls😅
Thank you!! Gotta say I really appreciate that last tidbit, I got so used to other programs overloading me with info but it's just been radio silence from UT, so that really makes me feel better haha.

btw did you (or anyone) happen to have a roommate during this, and how did it feel? I gotta start apartment hunting now 😅

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! Gotta say I really appreciate that last tidbit, I got so used to other programs overloading me with info but it's just been radio silence from UT, so that really makes me feel better haha.

btw did you (or anyone) happen to have a roommate during this, and how did it feel? I gotta start apartment hunting now 😅
not bambiii but we were in the same class. I didn't have a roommate. most people who didn't go to UT for undergrad didn't have a roommate. A few non-UT undergrad people did random roommates but I feel like that was rare.

not bambiii but we were in the same class. I didn't have a roommate. most people who didn't go to UT for undergrad didn't have a roommate. A few non-UT undergrad people did random roommates but I feel like that was rare.
thanks for the heads up! I'm trying to save money but honestly with Toledo's cost of living I'm def tempted to just live solo so I can focus on studying above all else haha.

any study tips btw? I know a lot of ppl use Anki primarily during preclinical years, would that work in this program?

thanks for the heads up! I'm trying to save money but honestly with Toledo's cost of living I'm def tempted to just live solo so I can focus on studying above all else haha.

any study tips btw? I know a lot of ppl use Anki primarily during preclinical years, would that work in this program?
ok honestly, I loved anki in undergrad and know for sure I will use it in med school. for this program? No. It takes too long to make the cards. we had a passdown deck from a few years ago, but alot of the immunology stuff didn't apply to us as they redid the class. Also, you guys will have a different anatomy professor than we did, so the formatting of the premade deck or any of our decks could not apply. Many people would go through the lectures and straight memorize or annotate their own notes on them. for me, I would go through the slides and make my own study guide on a google doc. Everything you need to know will be pulled straight from the slides. the first few weeks you'll find out what works for you, don't worry!

ok honestly, I loved anki in undergrad and know for sure I will use it in med school. for this program? No. It takes too long to make the cards. we had a passdown deck from a few years ago, but alot of the immunology stuff didn't apply to us as they redid the class. Also, you guys will have a different anatomy professor than we did, so the formatting of the premade deck or any of our decks could not apply. Many people would go through the lectures and straight memorize or annotate their own notes on them. for me, I would go through the slides and make my own study guide on a google doc. Everything you need to know will be pulled straight from the slides. the first few weeks you'll find out what works for you, don't worry!
I second this!!!! I loved anki when studying for the MCAT and used it at the beginning of this program, but after the first exam I realized it was kind of overboard. Some people continued to use anki and loved it, some switched to pre made quizlet decks. I really believe that all you need to succeed is given to you in the PowerPoints. They do a very good job of a making fair questions on exams and are great about returning points for poor performing questions. As for the roommate situation, I went to UT for undergrad and already had a roommate from the year prior :)
Totally depends on how/where you like to study, but I personally spent a ton of time studying at the library, AEC and coffee shops!

tysm for the responses! I'll have to see what works for me, it sounds like Anki isn't going to be a huge part of it but I'll def experiment in the first few weeks! I'm really happy to hear classes sound tough but fair with good/comprehensive lecture slides, that sounded like a sour spot at a couple other programs I was considering. you guys are the best, good luck with med school or future studies!

Edit: Sorry one last question, how did everyone notify UT COMLS about their attendance of the MSBS program on their med school application? Is there a section for it in the secondary? I'm preparing for the flood of secondaries lol

Last edited:
tysm for the responses! I'll have to see what works for me, it sounds like Anki isn't going to be a huge part of it but I'll def experiment in the first few weeks! I'm really happy to hear classes sound tough but fair with good/comprehensive lecture slides, that sounded like a sour spot at a couple other programs I was considering. you guys are the best, good luck with med school or future studies!

Edit: Sorry one last question, how did everyone notify UT COMLS about their attendance of the MSBS program on their med school application? Is there a section for it in the secondary? I'm preparing for the flood of secondaries lol
its super easy and you'll learn this at orientation too! In the secondaries there will be a specific question saying something like "are you currently in the MSBS program?" and just select yes. Because you select yes your app will be sent to the MSBS pile. I actually suggest holding off on submitting the secondary for Toledo, submit all the other ones first. Toledo's isn't due until like November and admissions won't consider MSBS until the second semester anyways (this will be told to you in orientation too) so if you wait a little bit you could include some Toledo specific details in your secondary as well. There is a question about how are you connected to Toledo (the city and university) and if you wait a little bit you can talk about what you have became involved in during your first semester of MSBS

Hi! Current MSBS student & soon to be M1 student at Toledo! If you guys have any more questions, please feel free to ask!!

Also, I highly suggest for someone who’s attending the program to make a GroupMe & share the link on here! This way, you can connect with your classmates and previous MSBS students 😊

Last edited:
Current MSBS student here. Our class size is only 26 people and we are hoping that means they will take closer to 80% again this year. Overall I have really enjoyed this program and feel like I have learned a ton. However, I will say that it has been incredibly stressful waiting for UTCOM, as they historically interview the msbs program quite late in the cycle. No one in my class has received an interview invitation yet. Feel free to ask me any questions you have on the program or about UT in general!
Are you encouraged to retake your Mcat while in this program?

Hi! Current MSBS student & soon to be M1 student at Toledo! If you guys have any more questions, please feel free to ask!!

Also, I highly suggest for someone who’s attending the program to make a GroupMe & share the link on here! This way, you can connect with your classmates and previous MSBS students 😊
How many of your mates got matriculated into the medical school after the program? When was your interview and when did you hear back from them on your acceptance? If you don’t mind can you please share your Mcat score? So many questions at a go right?

Are you encouraged to retake your Mcat while in this program?
If your MCAT is under a 500, you should absolutely retake your MCAT! This is one of those unofficial pieces of advice!

You're invited to my new group 'MSBS 2023-24 (with some M1s)' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

For the incoming class: join here!

How many of your mates got matriculated into the medical school after the program? When was your interview and when did you hear back from them on your acceptance? If you don’t mind can you please share your Mcat score? So many questions at a go right?
15/26 got in, and 14 of us matriculated because 1 went to another medical school!

Our interviews ranged from later April to May! And we found out Mid June!

MCAT scores for acceptances ranged all the way from 501-520 (so wide of a range, I know). So, it’s important to remember that there is SO much more that goes into your application for Toledo specifically.

However: You MUST retake your MCAT if it is under a 500. That is something that is non-negotiable. You’re encouraged to retake it during the year if you want.

15/26 got in, and 14 of us matriculated because 1 went to another medical school!

Our interviews ranged from later April to May! And we found out Mid June!

MCAT scores for acceptances ranged all the way from 501-520 (so wide of a range, I know). So, it’s important to remember that there is SO much more that goes into your application for Toledo specifically.

However: You MUST retake your MCAT if it is under a 500. That is something that is non-negotiable. You’re encouraged to retake it during the year if you want.
Also, I did retake my MCAT during the year, and I thought taking it in January specifically was helpful! Because the Molecular Cell Biology course that you take is very helpful for Biochem/bio review section!

Hello, I am worried about being accepted into the program in the first place since my MCAT is scheduled for April 26 which means I get my results in May and am worried about it being too late and having no seats left or not being competitive enough to get into this program in the first place since it closes on July 27 and is rolling admissions lol. I have a 2.9989 science GPA due to financial, mental health, and family circumstances. I want a chance to repair this so I can prove myself to med schools. I can also private message for more details about the rest of my EC etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, Happy New Year everyone, hope everyone is killing it as an MSBS or a current med student!!