Program-Specific Info / Q's Toledo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fahrney

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else applying to UT?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm open to adding schools to my application list. I just checked out the website briefly and am looking more into it now. I'm from PA, so it's not too far away. Are you from that area?

I'm about 3 hours away. I went to an info session there. Beautiful campus and good program

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is definitely worth looking into. I just wish they did interviews.

Anything particularly notable about the program?

Other than being OTD, they are the only school in the country with a combined PhD in exercise physiology. Classes are Tues-Thurs which is nice. Its a small program, only 20 admits per year. So that means more individual attention I guess.

Undergrad - B.A. Psychology major, Biology minor : 3.51
Graduate school- Master of Science : Experimental Psychology; Behavioral Neuroscience concentration: 3.66
** ( research/thesis based master's degree, grades weren't paramount, publications and conference presentations were king)**
Overall OTCAS GPA: 3.55
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V-149 Q-148 A-3.5 ( very low but you'd think that having a master's degree indicates that i can be successful in graduate school... also, wasn't required for those with GPAs > 3.5)

Applied very late last cycle ( March 2015) , put 9th on waiting list. Told that I was a competitive applicant by Julie and to simply reapply *early* next cycle. Applied really early this cycle (OTCAS verified 8/19/15) and was wait-listed again :(. It's been a waste of money for me. Never viewed my grades a "low" until now....

They place a lot of emphasis on GPA and I'm not sure they really look at the whole picture when it comes to their applicants. If you don't have at least a 3.8, I wouldn't suggest applying. Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS to those who've been accepted !!!:clap:

I've applied to a few other programs. Trying to remain optimistic and hoping for the best

Last edited:
wow, OTDhopeful, I think your stats look great, especially with your graduate level work and research. I was wondering, did you include your gre scores? And was your position on the waitlist any higher this time? That's really so disappointing that Toledo's emphasis is so heavily weighted on gpa only. I was thinking of applying, but my gpa is 3.67 and I don't have a 4.0 pre-req gpa like you! So I kind of feel like it would be a waste of money too. Thanks for the heads up. Good luck with your other applications!

Also ( my undergraduate GPA is lower bc I was a physics major my freshman and sophomore year of college so my calc, physics, and chemistry courses really contributed to that :( --although I did have a 4.0 each semester during my last 4 semesters of college) ... I think if you have a really high GPA taking Humanities but a lower gpa taking courses in Mathematics and Natural Sciences, UT will simply choose the student with the higher GPA. I am not saying I am the most competitive applicant because I now realize my stats are pretty medicore but I really think they are just looking at the numbers... I could be wrong... Hopefully, I don't sound too bitter :wideyed:

Thanks @OH-OT , I did include my GRE scores and I didn't even ask about my position on the wait-list when she said the average GPA of accepted students was a 3.8. Who knows, you may have better luck than I. One thing I've learned from reading these threads is that you shouldn't let other people's stats discourage you from applying. I recently saw that someone with stats similar to mine got into Wash U which is a higher ranked program.

I wish you all the best!!!!

Last edited:
Toledo looks only at numbers. Your GPA gives you 40 points max. So 3.8 GPA is 38 points. 3.2 Gpa 32 points. Writing sample 20pts GRE 40pts. They have a predetermined cut off score for acceptances and for wait listing individuals. I don't know what it is though..,and I've been trying to figure out how exactly they calculate the 40 points if you're exempt from the GRE but no luck. Does anyone out there know??

Reactions: 1 user
Last year the cut off was much lower, I exceeded it by 16 points, I believe, but I was waitlisted because of the time I applied which is why I was told to simply "apply early" next cycle.. this year it is about 20 points higher (I'm having trouble remembering exact numbers but I do recall her expressing that to me when she sensed that I was baffled as I was expecting automatic acceptance this year). The applicant pool is evidently pretty competitive for Fall 2016 which is honestly awesome to know that so many others are eager to be OTs. Anyway, if you call Julie Thomas - she will tell you everything you need to know. I wouldn't hesitate. She's really nice and informative!!

Question about the timeline: my application should be verified within the week...is that kind of late for a program with rolling admissions?? :nailbiting::nailbiting:

bummer...sorry 2015 Applicant! This is making me all the more apprehensive to spend the money trying. Did they tell you what number you are on their wait list?
Best of luck with your other applications!

My application was completed on 23 Sept. I found out on the website today. I've been checking just about daily. I didn't call to find out where I am on the waitlist b/c I'm sure that position will change by the time the deadline rolls around...

My application was completed on 23 Sept. I found out on the website today. I've been checking just about daily. I didn't call to find out where I am on the waitlist b/c I'm sure that position will change by the time the deadline rolls around...
Mine was completed on September 8th and I still haven't heard anything. On the website does it change on the application status?

Mine was completed on September 8th and I still haven't heard anything. On the website does it change on the application status?
On the website where it says: application status: comp,ete awaiting decision. Right below that it says decision: application waitlisted. So if you haven't checked in a while I would look. You should have had a decision by now.

On the website where it says: application status: comp,ete awaiting decision. Right below that it says decision: application waitlisted. So if you haven't checked in a while I would look. You should have had a decision by now.
I've been checking daily and it doesn't have a decision yet...how strange. Thanks for your help!