too late to apply for fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abraham917

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting on medical schools, and have since inquired into podiatry. I shadowed a podiatrist, and it was an awesome experience. I know that some of the schools have different deadlines than the others... My question is, is it too late to apply this year? Specifically to Rosalind Franklin U. I don't believe the deadline has passed, but would it look bad to apply this late in the game?

thanks in advance for any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

i have found that alot of schools are taking apps till june......but call them and find out...

This year there have been record number of applications at several schools. My advice is ASAP, otherwise you may have been bitten by procrastination and hard times. Best of Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is pretty late but if you are gonna apply next year then you might as well apply this year anyways. A lot of the schools are filling up but you can still get an interview and get in. Even if it is too late you can save all of your application materials and you will be on top of your game for next years application. Of course the application is relatively cheap too. For only a couple hundred bucks it would be worth it to give it a shot this year. Application might take you a day or two. If you have applied to med school you should have a personal statement and letters of recomendation, etc. Just change them up a bit and get the application in. Deff call the schools first though to make sure they arent full/are still taking applications (most are taking them still).

Strangely enough I got a letter from Rosalind Franklin about applying to their Podiatric Medical school, since they didn't accept me into their allopathic medical school...

So most likely a few schools are still accepting applications.

OP, it doesn't hurt to try. I submitted my app last week and I received invitations for interviews this week. They are really quick. It's hectic to get everything in on time, but since you already gone through the routine for allopathic schools, then it shouldn't be so time-consuming. Just work on your personal statement and press that submit button!

Good luck!

Btw, CSPM is full and only interviewing for waitlist positions.

This year there have been record number of applications at several schools. My advice is ASAP, otherwise you may have been bitten by procrastination and hard times. Best of Luck!

I've read several of these posts. Do you have a source?
Is it because of the economy?

I've read several of these posts. Do you have a source?
Is it because of the economy?

I can't speak for any of the other schools, but during my interview at Barry, Amy (their admissions coordinator) said that they'd received over 100 applications more than the previous year. And this was back in early March.

My only speculation as to why this is happening is because podiatry is one of health care's best kept secrets and many people are slowly finding out that its a great career choice. Sure, its not as competitive compared to some of the other graduate school program but I guarantee you schools are gonna be a lot more selective and seats are gonna go a lot quicker in the upcoming years - much like how pharmacy was in the late 90's. Back then people were getting in with just an AA degree from a community college and look where pharm is now. With all the advances in medicine and how depedent we've become on drugs, the demand for Pharmacists grew dramatically. People are busting their butts to get into a Pharm D. program. We can expect to see the same happen in podiatry with the baby boomers entering their golden years.

- much like how pharmacy was in the late 90's. Back then people were getting in with just an AA degree from a community college and look where pharm is now.

This still happens now......3 of my classmates went to pharm. school (c/o 2012) with just pre-reqs. (A.A degree) from a Comm. coll........(We were taking Ochem2 together & they ALL had conditional acceptances, pending the completion of OChem2)...The schools were MERCER & FAM-U....As a matter of fact, many of the schools don't require degree's but i can see that majority applicants have one anyway, just like med/dent/pod/etc.....

Podiatry schools don't even require degrees. Neither do some MD schools (though MD is super competitive and everyone has a degree). You can do the 90 credit hours for a number of schools.

sounds like DMU is full and is interviewing for waitlist spots

Podiatry schools don't even require degrees. Neither do some MD schools (though MD is super competitive and everyone has a degree). You can do the 90 credit hours for a number of schools.
Neither do DDS/DMD, and I think OD, and PharmD