Took the computer based PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmassist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new here and have been lurking for a long time.
I just thought I would let you know my experience with the computer based version.
The physical enviroment in the test center compared favorably with the university where I took the August version.
The room for the test was quiet and comfortable.
The computer program was very fast and responsive. Too responsive in some cases. I double clicked the next button twice inadvertantly. But both times I realized it and click backed to the missing one. If there were any I couldn't answer quickly, I clicked on he review flag and moved on. The screen gives you a continous countdown, number of questions remaining and total questions. A 5 minute warning pop-up lets you know when you are gettin close.
A greaseboard and pens are provided for calculations, and if you fill it up, raising your hand will get you a new one.
Overall, I thought it was a great experience, and I would never take the paper one again. :thumbup:
I would be happy to answer questions if anyone has them.
Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

I agree, it was an overall good experience. It was my first PCAT. Id say the best part was being able to type the essay. The worst part was the size of the greaseboard; I filled it up quickly on the math section and had to wait about 45 sec total to get new one. Not only that, as I was working on a problem the proctor brought me a new one and took away the old one, with the problem I had almost solved. Definitely frustrating on the math section where it is very hard to finish in time (I had to guess on about 5 or 6)

Thanks for the feedback WaffleMovement, this is the kind of thing I think people need to be aware of.
I did most of the QA either in my head or guessed (cause I suck at math) so I didn't even fill the first, but I can definitely see that being an issue for any better QA students.

Members don't see this ad :)
First time taking the PCAT, and I took the computer version.

I was the only person at the test center who was taking the PCAT. It was as relaxing as a test environment can be, I suppose.

As was described above in a previous post, the computer makes it very easy to navigate through the test. Much easier to click, than to fill in bubbles. It made the essay portion very easy, due to the ability to make quick corrections.

If I re-take the PCAT in January, I certainly will take the computer version again...if possible.

I agree, I'm glad I went with the computer version. I am fast at typing but slow as hell at handwriting, so this allowed me to quickly organize an outline for the essays and then fill them out and polish them. It's also quick in reviewing questions that you have skipped or flagged since they are all listed out and you can quickly see which ones you need to review.

This was my first and hopefully last PCAT.

Thanks for giving us heads up about taking the computer test.
I previous took two computer exam at Pearson center before (not for PCAT test) and had to deal with the dry eraser board myself. I was a bit annoyed at first because the grumpy lady told me to write only on one side of the board, not to erase anything, and raise hand to get a new board. Not only that, one of my markers was low on ink.
Good thing was I didn't have to do a lot of calculation. I wrote teeny tiny so I could have more space left.
That's the cons. But the pros is I like the computer test a lot. I think it is a bit faster, just click instead of bubbling. And mentally less nervous than being with other human being doing the PCAT :))
Pharmasisst, did you see how many minutes and questions you had left while doing the test?

SeashoreHarmony, yes, the upper left of the screen has a small display reading the time remaining ( Nicer IMO because I didn't have to figure out the time left) and 36/48 (example) where you are with the questions. I really liked it.
My proctor didn't mention the don't erase thing to me, so I tried to rub it off with my finger before I gave up. Anyway, oversight on her part, but it didn't cause a problem for me either.

thanks for the feedback guys, how was the reading comp. section? was it easy to look back and find answer when needed?

thanks for the feedback guys, how was the reading comp. section? was it easy to look back and find answer when needed?

Yeah, it was. They do a split screen so you have the essay on the left side and one question on the right. Once you answer that question a new question pops up on the right and the essay remains on the left.

Hi, I was supposed to take the CBT but was stuck taking the paper. I paid for the computer one but the test center didn't have any computers to test on :confused: so I took it on paper. I'll still get a score, right? They won't make me pay more now? Weird system.

I took the MCAT on the computer and it was a lot nicer, no worries about eraser marks being marked as wrong answers. Oh well. Even though I didn't take the computer PCAT, I know it would be much better than paper!

Wow, that is weird. I went to a totally different place to take my CBT than the paper test folks went. I had to go to a dedicated testing center for it. Everything there is done by computer as far as I can tell.
I think if you paid, and they let you take the test, I expect they will grade your test. I would still call and make sure though.

I had a very similar experience. I feel I did much better having gone the computer based route than if I did the pencil/paper. Naturally I type much much faster, so the essays were a breeze. I was able to proofread more thoroughly and really fine tune what I wanted to portray.

The math was a struggle, but I think it would have been regardless.

As you said, the testing center made it very easy to focus. I had my own cubicle, with sound deadening headphones. Couldn't have asked for a better environment, maybe an easier chem/math section though? :laugh:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm planning on taking my first PCAT in January. I've applied for dental school, but I do need a back up. I didn't know the PCAT was ONLY offered 4 times a year! So yea...I'm kind of rushing to learn as much as I can about it before taking it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't that be nice ?
No, sorry, it appears to be the same slow wait we have with the paper version. :eek:

if that's the case then what's the point of the computer version? i know for the GRE's you take a computer version and you get your score immediately.

if that's the case then what's the point of the computer version? i know for the GRE's you take a computer version and you get your score immediately.

I believe they are preparing to transition to all CBT in the next 2 years. They seem to be making sure the process worked well before the switch.
But if the majority still take the paper, and they do, they won't supply the CBT grades before the paper grades. Additionally, all those lovely essays have to be hand graded, which I suspect is the real time thief.

For me, the point was to not have to hand write two essays. I am much faster at typing and my handwriting is extremely crappy, so I have to go even slower if I expect someone else to read them.
The fact that I didn't have to sit and listen to someone s l o w l y read all the instructions was a bonus.
YMMV
:cool:

I want to practice with the computer based test interface before July - do you know if there is one available online? Or does it look like this?

http://www.pearsonvue.com/athena/htm

I found that link on the Pearson site and was curious if that is what I would see on my test day.

They send you an email with a tutorial software attachment, that explains everything. Its quite thorough, and tells you how to navigate your test. Your link is faulty btw.

I took the CBT in Oct, it was their first attempt at the PCAT that way, and i thought it was great. Everyone was 100x nicer, the env't was way more comfortable, it was nice to not have someone waste your time reading directions for 30 mins. I'm under the impression that all tests will be Comp-based as of June, and that is when they'll start giving your scores immediately following your test. I dont think they intend to test like the GRE though, where if you get one question wrong, its followed by an easier question.

Thanks!

This is the correct URL: http://www.pearsonvue.com/athena/html/

Is that what they sent you? Are you able to mark questions while you take the test and go back to them later?

Yep thats what I had. you have the freedom to move around the exam, its very simple. If i recall, you can flag certain questions that are being a stickler and return to them later.

Hi guys, I am new here and have been lurking for a long time.
I just thought I would let you know my experience with the computer based version.
The physical enviroment in the test center compared favorably with the university where I took the August version.
The room for the test was quiet and comfortable.
The computer program was very fast and responsive. Too responsive in some cases. I double clicked the next button twice inadvertantly. But both times I realized it and click backed to the missing one. If there were any I couldn't answer quickly, I clicked on he review flag and moved on. The screen gives you a continous countdown, number of questions remaining and total questions. A 5 minute warning pop-up lets you know when you are gettin close.
A greaseboard and pens are provided for calculations, and if you fill it up, raising your hand will get you a new one.
Overall, I thought it was a great experience, and I would never take the paper one again. :thumbup:
I would be happy to answer questions if anyone has them.
Thanks !

I'd like to know if you would get your results right away, besides the typed essays, for the Computer-based Pcat.

Second question for you: doesn't it bother you if other people are using computers and they are typing their essays, while you typed yours?

Thanks!

I'd like to know if you would get your results right away, besides the typed essays, for the Computer-based Pcat.

Second question for you: doesn't it bother you if other people are using computers and they are typing their essays, while you typed yours?

Thanks!

Yes you get your scores right after you get out of the test room

And not really, they give you ear plug and headphones to block noise but i didnt need to use it ^^

Yes you get your scores right after you get out of the test room

And not really, they give you ear plug and headphones to block noise but i didnt need to use it ^^

Thanks so much for your quick reply! What about a dry erase board for writing down the calculations? How many pages were they giving it to you? Oh,and are they going to give you a calculator?

Thank you so much!

Thanks so much for your quick reply! What about a dry erase board for writing down the calculations? How many pages were they giving it to you? Oh,and are they going to give you a calculator?

Thank you so much!

You get a booklet of laminated graph papers (5 pages) and a marker. No calculator though! Best of luck :luck:

Thanks for all the input. I was getting weary about the computer based PCAT. Thank goodness for forums.

im not a fasy typer what am i going to do by the essay i was under the misconception that you get to write that part

im not a fasy typer what am i going to do by the essay i was under the misconception that you get to write that part

Practice?? :confused:

Try writing essays on your computer - as you get better doing it, add the time element (you have a half hour, IIRC). If you're a pen & paper kinda person, print 'em out and proof read that way. Bust out the red pen!

Typing games really increased my speed when I was learning to type. It's great to go through the tutors, so you know where to put your fingers, but I've found I needed a lot more practice to get up to speed.

Most people have to practice doing the math portion fast. Writing an essay on a computer is a skill... Make sure you practice it. :D

I'm not a fast typer either but I can still develop an essay within the time frame.
Have you tried typing a PCAT essay within 30 minutes? If so, how much of the essay did you complete?

I took the test in July and the computer testing was pretty good. I was worried about having enough room on the dry erase board but it was actually several large laminated sheets of graph paper and I got 2 markers.

The only annoyances I had were when I went to check in and out of the room. My hands are very small and I had trouble with the palm vein scan because my palm didn't completely cover the machine. They won't let you back into the testing room from the break until your hands scan properly and mine just would not scan. When they finally worked and I was let back in my computer came up with an error message that I was not allowed to continue testing (I nearly peed my pants!). I had to go back out and re-scan my hands and finally made it back in and signed on about 30 seconds before my break auto-ended. Moral of my story: make sure you are back from the bathroom/lockers verrrry early.

Overall I thought the computer testing was done well and the preliminary results were awesome to get immediately. Reduced the stress a million fold.

Good luck everybody!

Oh and one other note... a girl testing at the same time as me brought a zippered jacket that had a lining and the testing center people told her she couldn't take it into the room. I couldn't find that info anywhere on the website but if you want a sweater it has to be unlined (at least at my testing center, but maybe they were just a little overzealous).

I took the test in July and the computer testing was pretty good. I was worried about having enough room on the dry erase board but it was actually several large laminated sheets of graph paper and I got 2 markers.

The only annoyances I had were when I went to check in and out of the room. My hands are very small and I had trouble with the palm vein scan because my palm didn't completely cover the machine. They won't let you back into the testing room from the break until your hands scan properly and mine just would not scan. When they finally worked and I was let back in my computer came up with an error message that I was not allowed to continue testing (I nearly peed my pants!). I had to go back out and re-scan my hands and finally made it back in and signed on about 30 seconds before my break auto-ended. Moral of my story: make sure you are back from the bathroom/lockers verrrry early.

Overall I thought the computer testing was done well and the preliminary results were awesome to get immediately. Reduced the stress a million fold.

Good luck everybody!

Oh and one other note... a girl testing at the same time as me brought a zippered jacket that had a lining and the testing center people told her she couldn't take it into the room. I couldn't find that info anywhere on the website but if you want a sweater it has to be unlined (at least at my testing center, but maybe they were just a little overzealous).

Hi! I just want to know how did you prepare for the PCAT? Was it your first, second, etc. time? How do you feel afterwards regarding your score(s)?

Thank you !

What's a lining? Does that mean no zipper jackets? I guess I'll just have to wear a turtle neck since those testing centers are so cold.
Do you remember an "end exam" button? Can you mark answer choices out on the computer or highlight?

What's a lining? Does that mean no zipper jackets? I guess I'll just have to wear a turtle neck since those testing centers are so cold.
Do you remember an "end exam" button? Can you mark answer choices out on the computer or highlight?

The girl had a jacket with a fuzzy inner lining that was different from the outside of the jacket. Like this: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=72808&vid=1&pid=865567&scid=865567002
I had a zipper jacket that was just 1 layer and I was allowed to take it in. The test center people said if it had a liner people could hide materials between the liner and outer section so it wasn't allowed...

The computer came up with a screen that asked if you wanted to have the exam scored or not. If I remember correctly it popped up with an "Are you sure?" box after I clicked that I wanted it scored.
There was no way to mark answers out (as far as I know), but the "flag" option was great. You could choose to review only your flagged questions or unanswered or all on each section so I thought that was good.

Hi! I just want to know how did you prepare for the PCAT? Was it your first, second, etc. time? How do you feel afterwards regarding your score(s)?

Thank you !

It was my first time taking the PCAT and since I couldn't afford Kaplan and had never heard of Dr. Collins I just went to Half Price Books and bought a couple old PCAT study guide books. I went through these and felt reasonably well prepared in addition to my knowledge from classes. I just finished my junior year so I have quite a bit of class material under my belt.
I did quite well so I was really excited. During the test I didn't think I had done as well as I ended up doing but getting the preliminary scores was fantastic. That stress only lasted three minutes rather than a month like my friends that took the MCAT. None of my scores/percentiles changed from preliminary to final.

Good luck!

The girl had a jacket with a fuzzy inner lining that was different from the outside of the jacket. Like this: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=72808&vid=1&pid=865567&scid=865567002
I had a zipper jacket that was just 1 layer and I was allowed to take it in. The test center people said if it had a liner people could hide materials between the liner and outer section so it wasn't allowed...

The computer came up with a screen that asked if you wanted to have the exam scored or not. If I remember correctly it popped up with an "Are you sure?" box after I clicked that I wanted it scored.
There was no way to mark answers out (as far as I know), but the "flag" option was great. You could choose to review only your flagged questions or unanswered or all on each section so I thought that was good.

It was my first time taking the PCAT and since I couldn't afford Kaplan and had never heard of Dr. Collins I just went to Half Price Books and bought a couple old PCAT study guide books. I went through these and felt reasonably well prepared in addition to my knowledge from classes. I just finished my junior year so I have quite a bit of class material under my belt.
I did quite well so I was really excited. During the test I didn't think I had done as well as I ended up doing but getting the preliminary scores was fantastic. That stress only lasted three minutes rather than a month like my friends that took the MCAT. None of my scores/percentiles changed from preliminary to final.

Good luck!

Did they give you a periodic chart?
Thanks!

No, you don't get a periodic table. Any relevant information that you would normally get from a periodic table (g/mol, atomic number, etc.) is given to you in the problem.
Also, no calculators. That was the worst part to me.