Top Podiatry Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just mentioned the rotations we do before residency interviews held in January.

Members don't see this ad.

jdikis, That's a sick place you got there. DMU definitely takes the lowest cost of living award.

What about Podiatry clerkship months, how many do each of the schools get? I know Scholl gets atleast 8, sometimes more, before residency interviews. IMO, this is crucial especially because of the residency shortage. More months means exposure to more programs.

More specifically, Scholl gets 1 affiliated pod rotation (I don't know if this is associated with a residency) and 4 away rotations in P3. Then 6 away rotations, 3 home rotations at sites with residencies, 3 core (IM, ER, Gen Surg) rotations at either Chicago, Detroit, LA, New Mexico, Arizona in P4.

The timing of the core and home rotations depends on a lottery system so the amount of away rotations varies but I have heard atleast 8 away rotations before interviews.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
DMU's core is changing to 4 months for the class of 2013, instead of 3.

I think 4 months sounds pretty good for a core rotation. Ours are 6 months, which cuts down on the number of externships we get. Having a 6 month core has it's pros and cons, but as far as getting to extern at a lot of programs, it makes it more difficult. Some students could have as many as 6 externships before match, but some students could have as few as 3 (plus core months), depending on the schedule that you get in the lottery.

Yeah, I don't know what I am talking about. This year they changed FROM 4 to 3

The best school out of all podiatry schools.... is the one you like the most. Listen to the above posters. Its about self choice and whether or not you are happy w/ the school. Do some interviews, do some touring, talk to current students. :)

That's the problem...visiting all those school will be costly and I wish I was made of money. I maybe have the money to fly out and see 4 or 5 of the school.

This point is moot being that the cost of living at DMU is significantly cheaper. Living in a overpriced shack sized apartment in NYC is not a fun way to spend your loans!

My apartment might be smaller the one pictured from DMU but... I would say living in NYC is, in fact, a nice way to spend my loans!

My apartment might be smaller the one pictured from DMU but... I would say living in NYC is, in fact, a nice way to spend my loans!
I have to admit that the view from my condo across the street from the beach overlooking the only nude beach in Florida is pretty nice. I am in awe everytime I look out the window and see the ocean, intracoastal, and downtown Miami.
I can post more photos if you want to see the paradise we live in year round.
BTW, can't wait to see everyone for the basketball tournament in a few weeks down here.

Attachments

• IMG_1195 (640x478).jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
I have to admit that the view from my 18th floor condo across the street from the beach overlooking the only nude beach in Florida is pretty nice. I am in awe everytime I look out the window and see the ocean, intracoastal, and downtown Miami.
I can post more photos if you want to see the paradise we live in year round.
BTW, can't wait to see everyone for the basketball tournament in a few weeks down here.

Lol...been to that beach by mistake :laugh: Not what I would have expected. There should be an age limit and a sign like at the amusement parks with the measuring stick...'if you are not up to this line, you cannot take your clothes off' :laugh: Bet some of that loan money went to a high-powered telescope!!

Would love to see more pics :D

Lol...been to that beach by mistake :laugh: Not what I would have expected. There should be an age limit and a sign like at the amusement parks with the measuring stick...'if you are not up to this line, you cannot take your clothes off' :laugh: Bet some of that loan money went to a high-powered telescope!!

Would love to see more pics :D
Yeah, the ratio of men:women is probably in the neighborhood of 80:1. Most are older, hairy men. I can't see body parts from up here, but you can tell they are naked. I have not yet purchased any binoculars, the wife nixed that idea. This pic was with the panorama app from my iphone a few months back. Didn't work so well, but you get to see most of my view.

Attachments

• IMG_1057 (640x209).jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 145
Derp Derp... Engineering school ratio is usually at least 3-4 to 1

Last edited:
It depends on what you are looking for in the school. If you want one of the toughest academic programs, I would say DMU or AZPOD. I personally go to AZPOD. My opinion is that the STATS speak for themselves. Every year, each school lists their presidents for each class and that year's Board pass rates. Many schools opt out listing their averages. If they were proud of their averages, they would submit. Look up AZPODs. We have a crazy weird system, we literally get 3 weeks-ish to study for boards and yet we have the highest pass rate in the country. Our academic load is so rigorous that it prepares us for boards. Other schools offer classes and tutoring which is crazy... Then again, we don't start hands on clinic rotation until 3rd year. We have homeless centers that we can volunteer at, helps you get some hands on experience and practice presenting to the attendee. If you look at our stats, in last three years, we've had 1 person fail part 1. Enough said. AZPOD is top three easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
AZPOD is top three easily.

Maybe in board pass rates. If there were a true ranking system, it would take all factors of the education into account, like clinical education.

Ohio is definitely one of the top 9 podiatry schools.

No way Ferocity, I heard Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine totally beat out OCPM for that coveted spot!

Oh and for top schools? Really? Because of a lack of suitable candidates, larger schools are forced to take students with more colorful pasts. But you can pretty much assume the top students of every school are going to be very similar in performance/skill.

But you can pretty much assume the top students of every school are going to be very similar in performance/skill.

Right on my main man! And, we shall go mano-y-mano :laugh:

I was accepted to all the schools and interviewed at all the East coast ones, plus Scholl and Des Moines. No contest, Temple is the clear choice if you are looking for a well rounded program. The clinic is high volume so you will see a lot of pathologies (and a lot nicer than NYCPM). As far as facilities go, Des Moines is the winner. But the downside is you have an hour in between each patient, so you're not going to get a lot of experience, which is the whole point of going to school. Furthermore, Temple has just gotten the approval for a 3 million dollar brand new anatomy lab and a 7 million dollar ambulatory surgery center to be done in August 2017. So it was an easy choice for me.

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted to all the schools and interviewed at all the East coast ones, plus Scholl and Des Moines. No contest, Temple is the clear choice if you are looking for a well rounded program. The clinic is high volume so you will see a lot of pathologies (and a lot nicer than NYCPM). As far as facilities go, Des Moines is the winner. But the downside is you have an hour in between each patient, so you're not going to get a lot of experience, which is the whole point of going to school. Furthermore, Temple has just gotten the approval for a 3 million dollar brand new anatomy lab and a 7 million dollar ambulatory surgery center to be done in August 2017. So it was an easy choice for me.

See you next year ;)

After I made the decision to save money to not fly out to Phili you made me want to change my mind again. Now I have to spend the next few days researching Temple and the area again...
Why can't we all just be rich already to make our decisions easier

Congrats man. I think you mentioned it before but forgot you got accepted. Proud of you.

Thanks so much, Weirdy! :) Have you decided on where you are going to go? Are you done interviews? Thank you for always being so supportive and informative on here.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much, Weirdy! :) Have you decided on where you are going to go? Are you done interviews? Thank you for always being so supportive and informative on here.

Accepted to Kent. Accepted to CSPM. Waitlisted at Western. Rejected at Midwestern post interview.

Also got invites to Scholl, DMU, Barry.

Did not apply to NYCPM or Temple.

Putting down a deposit for CSPM.

Will try to find that thread where it asks for all your stats and plug this in later.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted to Kent. Accepted to CSPM. Waitlisted at Western. Rejected at Midwestern post interview.

Also got invites to Scholl, DMU, Barry.

Did not apply to NYCPM or Temple.

Putting down a deposit for CSPM.

Will try to find that thread where it asks for all your stats and plug this in later.

For some reason I thought you were headed to Kent with Voli.

And y'all are overdue for the 2016/17 Acceptance/Rejected stats thread, don't you think?

For some reason I thought you were headed to Kent with Voli.

And y'all are overdue for the 2016/17 Acceptance/Rejected stats thread, don't you think?

Haha yeah. Kent was a serious contender. Kind of surprised me actually.

Will definitely find that thread after class tonight and fill it out. Thanks for reminding me what it's name was

Haha yeah. Kent was a serious contender. Kind of surprised me actually.

Will definitely find that thread after class tonight and fill it out. Thanks for reminding me what it's name was

Np. I think each year's class made their own. So you'll probably have to create one rather than reuse the one from last year.

And here you go, bro:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/acceptance-stats-class-of-2020.1173723/#post-17526832

And this is rejection thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rejection-thread-please-share-stats.1061087/

Reactions: 1 user