Top Schools with more emphasis on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiggleboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with schools that have ADMITTED to giving preference to mcat and extracurriculars over Gpa? For example, if someone had a 43 mcat with 2 pubs, TA for 3 courses, EMT, etc. - which top schools would overlook a lower gpa (between 3.65 - 3.7)?

Members don't see this ad.

Since when is 3.65-3.7 a lower GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with schools that have ADMITTED to giving preference to mcat and extracurriculars over Gpa? For example, if someone had a 43 mcat with 2 pubs, TA for 3 courses, EMT, etc. - which top schools would overlook a lower gpa (between 3.65 - 3.7)?

With a 43 MCAT, I'd at least try for WashU (they've got a reputation for being very inclined to take people with a sick score like that...****in' number ******).

I dont think you should really discount any of the top schools...a 43 will be the highest MCAT score they see that year...and they will probably admit a handful of ppl with under a 3.7

^^ The above poster is correct with a 3.7 you should not be counted out of any school and with that Mcat you should warrant further consideration.

WashU and Michigan like those big MCATs...

pitt, mt sinai, emory, case...i interviewed at all those schools with a 3.48/38.

Have you taken the MCAT yet? I'm sure you're very intelligent, but no one can count on getting a 43. If it happens, great, but you know what they say about counting chickens...

True...unless you have a 43 alerady..I dont think anyone can guarantee themselves any higher than a 12,12,12 36

Since when is 3.65-3.7 a lower GPA?

Yeah seriously...a lower GPA would be 3.5 or below IMO. A 3.7 is the accepted average at many med schools according to the new MSAR

Yeah seriously...a lower GPA would be 3.5 or below IMO. A 3.7 is the accepted average at many med schools according to the new MSAR
I guess a 3.7 would be a lower gpa for the top schools though...where there averages are 3.8-3.9....but probably nothing significant.

Haha, in another post he talked about a "low mcat score of 35"

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

did you actually get a 43 or are you hoping?

did you actually get a 43 or are you hoping?

lol - no, I really got a 43S; otherwise my original post would be quite meaningless. Although I honestly don't think it makes too big of a difference.. I think above, say, a 38 med schools probably stop caring..maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, in response to someone above..I didn't mean to insinuate that 3.7 was an empirically low score; I said 'lower'. Most of the top schools have gpa averages much higher (3.8-3.9).

P.S. Do you think I should retake?:confused:

Oh, no - I know that 3.7 is the average at many schools - I don't doubt that I will get accepted to med schools in general - I was looking at the top schools (HMS, Stanford, WashU, etc.) - because all of these schools have averages like 3.85 and so forth..

lol - no, I really got a 43S; otherwise my original post would be quite meaningless. Although I honestly don't think it makes too big of a difference.. I think above, say, a 38 med schools probably stop caring..maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, in response to someone above..I didn't mean to insinuate that 3.7 was an empirically low score; I said 'lower'. Most of the top schools have gpa averages much higher (3.8-3.9).

P.S. Do you think I should retake?
:confused:

Are you dividing out points from the first try over SDN? I'll take 5 - thanks.

Btw- the reason I am asking is to try and short-list my schools. I had the same philosophy - that I stand a great chance at any of the top schools - except that makes my list way to long. I want to try to go to a top school, but I want to cross out the ones that will probably be a waste of time since they focus more on gpa instead of mcat+extracurrics.

Thanks for the help..keep it coming

QUOTE=jiggleboy;6610264]lol - no, I really got a 43S; otherwise my original post would be quite meaningless. Although I honestly don't think it makes too big of a difference.. I think above, say, a 38 med schools probably stop caring..maybe I'm wrong.

P.S. Do you think I should retake?:confused:[/QUOTE]
Well, I will give him this, at least he knows how to use the word anyway unlike most people who say "anyways". - for that one reason, it gives him credibility in my eyes.;)
-----------------------
sorry, its a pet peeve

Btw- the reason I am asking is to try and short-list my schools. I had the same philosophy - that I stand a great chance at any of the top schools - except that makes my list way to long. I want to try to go to a top school, but I want to cross out the ones that will probably be a waste of time since they focus more on gpa instead of mcat+extracurrics.

Thanks for the help..keep it coming

Don't get carried away with thinking that high MCAT confers "great" chances on you at any top schools - your chances are good, and maybe very good, that you will get more than one acceptance, but I would not assume any "great chances" at any of the top schools, even with that score...

You still need to apply somewhat broadly, but not necessarily to a bunch of schools.

Maybe it is as simple as applying to all your state schools, then knocking yourself out with as many of the Top 20 as you desire.

But you could also probably just do your state school(s) and then cherry pick another half dozen so of the biggies...in fact you could probably apply to only 5 schools or so and be fine, assuming that 2 of those are state schools for you (and you don't live in CA) and the other three aren't Harvard, Stanford, and Hopkins...

Looking back, my first few posts on here were as outlandish as his, but I still think he's a troll.

They see me trollin, they hatin... Moderatin and tryna catch me postin dirtay

Chamillionaire is going to come into this thread and sue you for copyright infringement. Yep, as soon as people read that, HIS music will pop into their head and you'll be sued LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE!! :laugh:

P.S. Do you think I should retake?:confused:

Good god, boy. If you want to actually use this place as a resource, you're going to have to learn a bit more about human nature.

You're going to do much better tooting your horn by posting advice in the MCAT forum than asking ridiculous questions. That way you get to feel good about yourself AND contribute to the community. There are only a handful of people with similar MCAT scores on these boards. Please don't give them a bad name.

P.S. If you are clever enough to get a 43, then you are clever enough to figure out the answer to your original question on your own. Now go post your advice.