Topiramate and weight loss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tompharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a question from a personal friend that I do not know. I know that topiramate can be used for weight loss purpose like for antipsychotic induced weight gain/ bipolar mood stabilizer. However, I have read a few things on the internet where it says the weight loss effects only work the first time you use the drug. Can anyone explain this to me why if you use it the second or third time you wont get weight loss.

Members don't see this ad.

Several approaches that work to support weight loss are most effective the first time they are used. It is as if uncountable generations of ancestors had to suffer periodic deprivation and so evolved biology that is highly efficient and adaptable. When you hit the problem with a novel (to that particular organism) threat, at first, it is effective. A second trial faces a system which is no longer naive and can adapt quickly to the challenge. I don't think that anyone says that topamax loses all efficacy, only that it does not work as well.