The miracle weight loss drug is here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wow. how does oral Rybelsus compare?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Meth already exists

GLP-1s typically require PA anyway (esp for Medicaid plans).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Didn't we already see this with Victoza/Saxenda?

And much much more importantly, will insurance cover it, cause it sure doesn't right now for Saxenda.
Re: efficacy vs Saxenda: I believe this trial showed weight loss in a larger percentage of participants compared to Saxenda’s previous results. Note the Ozempic trial dose was also much higher than in diabetes subQ treatment.

I’ve seen a lot of decent coverage for Ozempic, surprisingly. I think it usually requires a PA, but unlike Saxenda, the PA is usually ultimately approved. At least in my region.

Last edited:
Re: efficacy vs Saxenda: I believe this trial showed weight loss in a larger percentage of participants compared to Saxenda’s previous results. Note the Ozempic trial dose was also much higher than in diabetes subQ treatment.

I’ve seen a lot of decent coverage for Ozempic, surprisingly. I think it usually requires a PA, but unlike Saxenda, the PA is usually ultimately approved. At least in my region.
Ozempic is typically well covered, true. But will that still be the case if the higher doses aren't also approved for diabetes?

I truly hope they are, but knowing insurance companies I have serious doubts.

Ozempic is typically well covered, true. But will that still be the case if the higher doses aren't also approved for diabetes?

We lose money on ozempic almost every single time haha

We will have to wait and see! I would guess that the patient will probably have to fail a trial of something else first (documented diet and exercise?) and/or they will have to show significant decreases in morbidity and mortality with use of high dose Ozempic in significant percentages of patients for it to get easily approved. So far it looks good on that front! I assume Saxenda is hard to get approved because it wasn't super efficacious for all patients and it's expensive to offer as a first line treatment.

At the end of the day, it's all about the money when it comes to insurance companies. Is it cheaper to offer this somewhat expensive intervention with great outcomes early in a disease state to our members? Or is it cheaper to make them wait until they need other more expensive interventions later? Capitalism and the way the US funds medical intervention has its ups and downs, for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
I've seen phentermine get approved by Medicaid plans. What's cheaper than that lol