Touro COM - New York (TouroCOM-NY) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Year, New Thread!!! Discuss Away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I like how Touro COM New York is abbreviated as Touro COM NY

AACOMAS verified 6/7/2012.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is interesting that the matriculant stats from last year were 3.3/3.3/25 when the year before average MCAT was a 27. Any ideas? Anyway, it is my first choice :D

Why is this thread so dead? Anyone applying this cycle?

anyone know if the $200 secondary fee guarantees an interview? if not, then I would hold off on sending their secondary. anyone else in the same boat?

anyone know if the $200 secondary fee guarantees an interview? if not, then I would hold off on sending their secondary. anyone else in the same boat?

Hey, I'm a re-applicant from last year. I applied to Touro-NY late last cycle and got an interview, but ended up getting rejected from the waitlist (they had a lot of applicants so they rejected anyone on the waitlist with an MCAT less than a 28). Not everyone got an interview according to people last year. But at the interview, the faculty seemed very friendly and down to earth. Plus the students I spoke with really enjoyed the student life. So maybe $200 would be a good investment, but then again, investments are a gamble ha.

Hey, I'm a re-applicant from last year. I applied to Touro-NY late last cycle and got an interview, but ended up getting rejected from the waitlist (they had a lot of applicants so they rejected anyone on the waitlist with an MCAT less than a 28). Not everyone got an interview according to people last year. But at the interview, the faculty seemed very friendly and down to earth. Plus the students I spoke with really enjoyed the student life. So maybe $200 would be a good investment, but then again, investments are a gamble ha.

you are right. I am leaning towards forking over the ridiculously overpriced fee. My stats are competitive for this school so MAYBE i will get an interview.:xf:

Anyone to disproof this?

Anyone to disproof this?

I believe what he or she said was true. (Someone called the admissions office and was told that straight up). Number of applicants significantly increased over the past couple of years, and there weren't that much movement in the waitlist either...so the school had to weed people out on the waitlist solely based on the total MCAT score.

And regarding the $200 fee, I'd say apply only if you are somewhat interested in this school (Although I personally think 200 bucks is nothing compared to the grand scheme of the application process). After all, the yearly tuition is ~ $40,000 and that's about 10 grands less than some schools out there.

I believe what he or she said was true. (Someone called the admissions office and was told that straight up). Number of applicants significantly increased over the past couple of years, and there weren't that much movement in the waitlist either...so the school had to weed people out on the waitlist solely based on the total MCAT score.

And regarding the $200 fee, I'd say apply only if you are somewhat interested in this school (Although I personally think 200 bucks is nothing compared to the grand scheme of the application process). After all, the yearly tuition is ~ $40,000 and that's about 10 grands less than some schools out there.
How do you think a 30 could pass the screening with no scores less than a 7?

How do you think a 30 could pass the screening with no scores less than a 7?

LOL. I'd believe it would pass very well for DO. Only way not to get accepted is if the person had ZERO extracurricular/medical experience and/or if he/she bombed the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have the secondaries started going out yet?

$200 app fee will do that.

Anyone received the secondray, yet?
Did the last year's cycle was that late to receive the secondry?

Anyone received the secondray, yet?
Did the last year's cycle was that late to receive the secondry?

Last year my primary was submitted end of august. I got the secondary mid-september, and then an interview invite in JANUARY ha. They switched director of admissions last year so I think they're stilll getting acquainted with everything. May take a bit longer than most other schools.

two things.

1) I know you're all freaking out now, but $200 is a miniscule fee compared to the absurd benjamins you'll be dropping left and right on things each week for medical school. Little pocket books for rotations, and you'll need one per rotation if youre serious about them, are gonna cost you $250-400 each. These are little 300ish page books that are 6 by 4 inches. I remember how I thought the fee was double anyone elses.... but now I just laugh my ass off at how cheap I was being when I'm just pouring money out of my bank account en masse on things that are vital. $200 is drop of water in a sea of future expenses. Well worth the opportunity to see the school yourself if thats the entrance fee.

2) I've talked with a few applicants from last cycle. People under 28 MCAT definitely got in. what happened was they had a large number of deferred students from the cycle before that so the class "filled" quickly and the wait list got huge. Once they hit that point where most of the interviewees were either rejected or waitlisted they needed a way to just simplify their life and cut the waitlist down significantly as it was growing weekly to a size that was unrealistically long. Their method was to remove anyone from the waitlist who had a 27 or lower MCAT. So if you get accepted straight out, the 28 or greater rule doesnt apply to you. If you get waitlisted I would be aware that its likely they will decide to enact that policy again. I cant say for certain it will happen again, but I know that applications to the school have grown by leaps and bounds each year (dean makes sure he tells me whenever i wander through the school) so the odds of a large waitlist again this year are pretty good.

Did anyone get the secondary yet? I've been verified as of 06/28

Does anyone know what were last year's secondary prompts?

two things.

1) I know you're all freaking out now, but $200 is a miniscule fee compared to the absurd benjamins you'll be dropping left and right on things each week for medical school. Little pocket books for rotations, and you'll need one per rotation if youre serious about them, are gonna cost you $250-400 each. These are little 300ish page books that are 6 by 4 inches. I remember how I thought the fee was double anyone elses.... but now I just laugh my ass off at how cheap I was being when I'm just pouring money out of my bank account en masse on things that are vital. $200 is drop of water in a sea of future expenses. Well worth the opportunity to see the school yourself if thats the entrance fee.

2) I've talked with a few applicants from last cycle. People under 28 MCAT definitely got in. what happened was they had a large number of deferred students from the cycle before that so the class "filled" quickly and the wait list got huge. Once they hit that point where most of the interviewees were either rejected or waitlisted they needed a way to just simplify their life and cut the waitlist down significantly as it was growing weekly to a size that was unrealistically long. Their method was to remove anyone from the waitlist who had a 27 or lower MCAT. So if you get accepted straight out, the 28 or greater rule doesnt apply to you. If you get waitlisted I would be aware that its likely they will decide to enact that policy again. I cant say for certain it will happen again, but I know that applications to the school have grown by leaps and bounds each year (dean makes sure he tells me whenever i wander through the school) so the odds of a large waitlist again this year are pretty good.

200 dollars isn't minuscule if it limits your ability to fly OOS for an interview at a preferred school, which is a legitimate concern if you're making minimum wage. But overall I agree with you.

Does anyone know what were last year's secondary prompts?

"Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine Mission, Goals, or Objectives. Limit your essay to 2 pages. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine? Why Harlem? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?"

2nd year here- any questions, feel free to ask!

"Please discuss how your background, experience or academic program has prepared you for meeting the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine Mission, Goals, or Objectives. Limit your essay to 2 pages. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine? Why Harlem? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?"

Can anyone who has received this year's secondary verify that the prompt hasn't changed.

^^ I don't think anyone has received a secondary yet, right?

Does anyone have a contact email? I need to send an update.

I their website it says "Further, a letter of recommendation must be sent by a physician (D.O. or M.D.)." Is that true? and how many D.O schools require this?

2nd year here- any questions, feel free to ask!

Hi bn270,

First off, thanks for offering to answer questions. We know how busy you MS2s are. Also, if you'd rather answer any or all of these in PM, please feel free to do so.

(1) Can you please comment on the safety of the area at night and in the early morning (e.g., statistics, anecdotes of incidents, or lack thereof)?

(2) How much is the cost of living, on average (e.g., average rent, utilities, food)?

(3) Where do most students live?

(4) What hospitals do we have to choose from for core rotations?

(5) Does the school post a match list anywhere?

(6) Are classes mainly lecture based or PBL based?

(7) How would you rate the rigor of your basic science preparation?

(8) Lastly, does the school offer any full-tuition scholarships? I only saw AOA-sponsored scholarships on the financial aid website.

Sorry for the myriad questions. I tried looking all of this up on their website, but couldn't find anything. If I've missed anything and anyone knows where to find this information online, please let me know. I don't want to waste anyone's time by asking questions that can easily be answered on my own.

Thanks and good luck to all! Salud mis amigos.

Hi bn270,

First off, thanks for offering to answer questions. We know how busy you MS2s are. Also, if you'd rather answer any or all of these in PM, please feel free to do so.

(1) Can you please comment on the safety of the area at night and in the early morning (e.g., statistics, anecdotes of incidents, or lack thereof)?

(2) How much is the cost of living, on average (e.g., average rent, utilities, food)?

(3) Where do most students live?

(4) What hospitals do we have to choose from for core rotations?

(5) Does the school post a match list anywhere?

(6) Are classes mainly lecture based or PBL based?

(7) How would you rate the rigor of your basic science preparation?

(8) Lastly, does the school offer any full-tuition scholarships? I only saw AOA-sponsored scholarships on the financial aid website.

Sorry for the myriad questions. I tried looking all of this up on their website, but couldn't find anything. If I've missed anything and anyone knows where to find this information online, please let me know. I don't want to waste anyone's time by asking questions that can easily be answered on my own.

Thanks and good luck to all! Salud mis amigos.

Gimme a few days to answer this. We start Monday so things are a bit hectic for me right now. Most have these have been answered in other threads, so I have to find them and c/p here. But, I'll get back to ya!

Gimme a few days to answer this. We start Monday so things are a bit hectic for me right now. Most have these have been answered in other threads, so I have to find them and c/p here. But, I'll get back to ya!

Thanks a bunch! Take your time.

My primary application went out 6/1, and I still have yet to get a reply.

I'm sure there are a billion other pre-DO's on this board who also live in NYC, but I feel like I can answer these two questions just being a 'manhattanite'...

(1) ON 125th st, the area is relatively 'safe'. That is, I wouldn't walk around with an expensive item (iPad, etc) out late at night, but I doubt most people ever have any issue. I've walked from the metro north station to the 1 train many many times after midnight, without issue. Go more than a few blocks north or south though, and things are another story. East Harlem is definitely considered the worst neighborhood in Manhattan. TOURO NY is in sort of a grey area between West Harlem (okay area) and there. That having been said -- the city is a lot better than people think it is. It's all relatively safe, I've lived in many 'less desirable' areas over the last 6 years and I've never had a problem. I feel like most of the crime that happens is 'criminal-on-criminal', like someone robbing a drug dealer, etc. :shrug:

(2) Depends entirely on where you want to live. If you want to live near the school, you could probably find a studio for about 850, or a 1 bdrm for 1000, 2 bed for 1350. If you want to live near columbia, or the UWS or some 'ritzy' areas, you're looking at 1500 for a studio, 1700 for a 1bdrm, 2200 for a 2 bed. NYC real estate is tough. I haven't researched yet if Touro NY has some kind of housing assistance... maybe someone can elaborate on that?

EDIT: Forgot utilities and food: living alone electricity will be 70$. Hot water is always included. Gas SHOULD be included, but if its not, and you control the temperature in your apartment during the winter/gas boiler, expect ~110$. A meal from somewhere quick is $6-11. A meal from a sit-down is $12-25. Milk is $3.99.

Hope this helps!

From last year's thread looks like 8/22 was when the first SDN member got one.

I'm sure there are a billion other pre-DO's on this board who also live in NYC, but I feel like I can answer these two questions just being a 'manhattanite'...

(1) ON 125th st, the area is relatively 'safe'. That is, I wouldn't walk around with an expensive item (iPad, etc) out late at night, but I doubt most people ever have any issue. I've walked from the metro north station to the 1 train many many times after midnight, without issue. Go more than a few blocks north or south though, and things are another story. East Harlem is definitely considered the worst neighborhood in Manhattan. TOURO NY is in sort of a grey area between West Harlem (okay area) and there. That having been said -- the city is a lot better than people think it is. It's all relatively safe, I've lived in many 'less desirable' areas over the last 6 years and I've never had a problem. I feel like most of the crime that happens is 'criminal-on-criminal', like someone robbing a drug dealer, etc. :shrug:

(2) Depends entirely on where you want to live. If you want to live near the school, you could probably find a studio for about 850, or a 1 bdrm for 1000, 2 bed for 1350. If you want to live near columbia, or the UWS or some 'ritzy' areas, you're looking at 1500 for a studio, 1700 for a 1bdrm, 2200 for a 2 bed. NYC real estate is tough. I haven't researched yet if Touro NY has some kind of housing assistance... maybe someone can elaborate on that?

EDIT: Forgot utilities and food: living alone electricity will be 70$. Hot water is always included. Gas SHOULD be included, but if its not, and you control the temperature in your apartment during the winter/gas boiler, expect ~110$. A meal from somewhere quick is $6-11. A meal from a sit-down is $12-25. Milk is $3.99.

Hope this helps!

Really good info. I live on 120th and Amsterdam and I agree with almost everything. I for one walk down 125 everyday (especially since I started going to Planet Fitness), and I think it could be a little rougher than most places. I do agree that for the most part if you mind your business no one will mess with you but I have had people stare and talk trash to me at night time for walking around those parts. I also see a lot of adolescent kids at night time trying to be cool and start fights. Lastly, there are mad hustlers trying to see you loosey's and touristy stuff and you also deal with a lot of drug users.

Disclaimer: These are my personal experiences though.

I am still awaiting a secondary from here.. i submitted AACOMAS 6/1 and have yet to receive one yet.. I am an OOS and love NY!

Hope this helps!

Great info, thanks. The real estate is better than I expected.

Really good info. I live on 120th and Amsterdam and I agree with almost everything. I for one walk down 125 everyday (especially since I started going to Planet Fitness), and I think it could be a little rougher than most places. I do agree that for the most part if you mind your business no one will mess with you but I have had people stare and talk trash to me at night time for walking around those parts. I also see a lot of adolescent kids at night time trying to be cool and start fights. Lastly, there are mad hustlers trying to see you loosey's and touristy stuff and you also deal with a lot of drug users.

Also great info and more of what I was expecting crime-wise. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, particularly the Inglewood area (5 miles from South Central), and am rather used to handling myself in tough areas. But I've only been to NYC twice and find the congestion a little more difficult to deal with. In LA, people are far enough away to see what's going on, whereas the streets of NYC are so crowded that it's a little more difficult to keep up my peripherals. But I love the idea of attending this school and working with the locals.

Don't sugar coat it! ;)

Yeah just mind your own and you'll be fine. Don't make yourself an easy target either (carrying a laptop in what is clearly a laptop case, etc.)

anyone know what the essays from last yr were? im getting really excited about this school

I guess as a 4th year i'm a bit out of touch with the pre-clinicals now... but i'll field questions if you guys want. Figure I should be loyal to my school and help out new/prospectives.

I guess as a 4th year i'm a bit out of touch with the pre-clinicals now... but i'll field questions if you guys want. Figure I should be loyal to my school and help out new/prospectives.

How much is the COL and expenses other than tuition? Is 65k/year reasonable for tuition and living expenses?