Touro University - Nevada (TUNCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely applying here. The location is perfect for me and my family.
Question:

Does anyone know what last years average MCAT and GPA were? I know it went up quite a bit last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I heard that the laptop you get is a toshiba. Is that true?

I was accepted into the class of 2017 with about a 3.5 over/sci and a 25 (7 phy, 9ver, 9bio). They didnt ask me about my low MCAT and it was the lowest acceptable for a secondary. They like a strong science background it seems and my high masters gpa (3.85) and advanced coursework (microbiology, biochemistry, molecular) really helped during my interview. For the secondary they just make you reenter information found on your primary application no essay required.

And the laptop we have to buy this year is a Dell not Toshiba.

IIRC they only have a very short secondary. I don't remember too well though because I didn't fill theirs out. It took them months to send me a secondary and I had already gotten in to my #1.

I was accepted into the class of 2017 with about a 3.5 over/sci and a 25 (7 phy, 9ver, 9bio). They didnt ask me about my low MCAT and it was the lowest acceptable for a secondary. They like a strong science background it seems and my high masters gpa (3.85) and advanced coursework (microbiology, biochemistry, molecular) really helped during my interview. For the secondary they just make you reenter information found on your primary application no essay required.

Lowest acceptable in what regard? Overall as a 25? or with 7 being the lowest subsection they could allow?

In order to receive a secondary you need a 3.0 overall, 3.0 science, and a 25 mcat score.

Applying here, school sounds interesting and you have one of the craziest places to unwind nearby. Should be fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they flexible at all on this if I have good gpa(s) or if I have a retake scheduled?
I would email Amber and ask if they make exceptions but I haven't heard of any. They would probably wait until after your MCAT score comes in if its below a 25 before issuing a secondary. I didnt submit my secondary until mid january I was interviewed in March and still got accepted with many others. If your below the GPA or MCAT cutoff you have summer/fall to make up the deficit.

And the laptop we have to buy this year is a Dell not Toshiba.

hmmm... is there anyway to opt out of this, like if I bought a Mac for myself? I'm not a fan of Dell at all.

This is my primary choice. Grandma lives out in vegas about 20 minutes from the school so this would be absolutely awesome.

Got an email saying my app couldn't be reviewed until I finished all my pre-reqs.....I thought it was common for the rule to be pre-reqs done before matriculation?

anyone have any insight here?

Got an email saying my app couldn't be reviewed until I finished all my pre-reqs.....I thought it was common for the rule to be pre-reqs done before matriculation?

I would email amber and ask, I know they interview until march so maybe they want to see your grades in summer/fall before making a decision.

Did secondaries already go out?

Now since I'm on vacation for the next week I have to find the business center in this hotel so I can fill out the secondary

I can't find the instructions on how to make the payment. The email stated that the instructions are found on the last page of the application. There's nothing on the last page but the "References" and the signature.

I can't find the instructions on how to make the payment. The email stated that the instructions are found on the last page of the application. There's nothing on the last page but the "References" and the signature.

Me neither

On the fourth page, under the "Health-related employment", only PAID positions can be listed there, right? Is working in a diagnostic laboratory considered "health-related"?

For the volunteer experience section, should I only select the best three involvements and list them in chronological order? It didn't specify to include a separate sheet if I wanted to mention more experiences as it did for the employment section.

Does anyone know if the volunteer experience is also just health-related or is it just volunteering in general?

Does anyone know if the volunteer experience is also just health-related or is it just volunteering in general?

I listed one clinical volunteering, one shadowing experience and one community volunteering activity.

is the technical standard a part of the secondary? i don't it in the secondary. do we have to go on Touro website to download it?

is the technical standard a part of the secondary? i don't it in the secondary. do we have to go on Touro website to download it?

I think it was supposed to be. I looked at the secondary from last year and it was 4 pages longer. I think the secondary that was sent out is incomplete. The email says it was supposed to contain payment instructions but mine did not have those.

I think it was supposed to be. I looked at the secondary from last year and it was 4 pages longer. I think the secondary that was sent out is incomplete. The email says it was supposed to contain payment instructions but mine did not have those.

mine doesn't have it either. i just emailed the school.

I'm getting really frustrated. Most of the secondaries I'm getting has some type of error or glitch.

I called the school and they said they acknowledge this problem and will send out an email tomorrow or later this week.

I'm getting really frustrated. Most of the secondaries I'm getting has some type of error or glitch.

I called the school and they said they acknowledge this problem and will send out an email tomorrow or later this week.

Thanks for letting us know!

I have been trying to call them and nobody seems to be home there today. I want to see if its ok to use the technical standards portion of last years secondary and just amend it to this years but nobody is taking my calls.

I have been trying to call them and nobody seems to be home there today. I want to see if its ok to use the technical standards portion of last years secondary and just amend it to this years but nobody is taking my calls.
I can't say for certain but I found a copy of their Technical Standards under the DO Admission section, here is the link http://tun.touro.edu/wp-content/uploads/TUN_DO_Admission_Technical_Standards_2010.pdf
From the URL it appears to have last been updated in 2010 so it is probably the same form from last year.

I can't say for certain but I found a copy of their Technical Standards under the DO Admission section, here is the link http://tun.touro.edu/wp-content/uploads/TUN_DO_Admission_Technical_Standards_2010.pdf
From the URL it appears to have last been updated in 2010 so it is probably the same form from last year.

Ya that looks similar to what I found. Did you find instructions on how to pay by credit card? I found a link on the old secondary but it takes you to a third party website and I dont want to enter my credit information into that site until I am sure it is legit. I tried calling the bursars office but again nobody is home.

Technical standards and payment addendum received via email

No secondary here.

Is there a heavier screen for TUNCOM?

No secondary here.

I can't say with certainty what they use to screen for secondary invites but under the DO admission section of their website the list the following requirements to be considered for acceptance:

"Have scored 25 or greater on the MCAT submitted through AACOMAS. Applicants for the class matriculating in 2012 must submit MCAT scores that are no older than June 2010.
Have earned a minimum cumulative and science GPA of 3.00."

No secondary here.

Be patient, you will receive it. You received your CA secondary yesterday and I received it today, so I think as long as you have the minimum requirements to pass the screening, you'll eventually receive your secondary.

For those AACOMAS fee waiver recipients, how are you planning to do with the secondary fee?

TouroCA gives the option to send them a copy of the AACOMAS fee waiver and they will drop the fee, will TouroNV do the same?