TouroCOM Harlem/Middletown MS Linkage Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoardManGetsPaid

Reaction score
Past Touro Harlem/Middletown MS students:

I have a 2.6 uGrad GPA, 3.2 masters, 506 MCAT (re-taking in two weeks. I was fortunate to be accepted to this program despite my low GPA. I applied because I read about a conditional acceptance - 3.5+ in the program gets you into medical school. It’s basically my only shot at being a doctor given my GPA. My question for any current/former students: is this program legitimate in terms of the linkage? Is it a better option than attending a regular post-bacc at another school like GW or NYMC that doesn’t have an explicitly stated linkage? If I’m in Touro for my MS and want to apply concurrently to other medical schools, would being enrolled in and doing well in Touro look good to other medical schools as well? Also, if any former students could share their experiences with the program in terms of support, study groups, administration, I’d appreciate any insight at all. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have the knowledge to answer most of your questions, but I did know someone in the program. From what they told me, it is very difficult to get a 3.5. You have to do well, and its not easy. I strongly recommend that you put your all in this from day 1. My friend did not make it.

Generally speaking, a program with explicit linkage is better than one without, and from my understanding Touro reserves a certain number of seat for MS students.

I did the first semester of the program and left in good standing. I will say it is difficult to achieve the 3.5...not quite like undergrad where you might be able to grind your way to a 3.8 or 4.0. It was a really good experience for me, especially anatomy, in terms of getting my study habits in order and figuring out how to teach myself. The thing to keep in mind is that there is a curve for each exam based on the average and standard deviation. One half std above the average is A- and a full std is an A. For my class, the averages were often in the 80s and sometimes high 80s. Don't underestimate your classmates--there were people with graduate degrees in biochem, 514+ MCAT, etc.

The linkage is legit, however, usually only about 1/3-1/2 of the Masters class matriculates directly. Others may get into other schools or miss the 3.5 and apply to Touro via AACOMAS and matriculate that way. I ended up getting accepted elsewhere in the Fall and decided not to finish. I grew to really dislike the flipped classroom system--lots of time required outside of class and effectively mandatory attendance. I don't think the program helped me gain admittance simply because my grades for the program weren't in when I interviewed and was offered acceptances. I don't get the sense that the program has the name recognition of other more established SMPs.

In your case, I would wonder why your past grad school performance was lackluster? What makes you think this will be better? If I were you, and especially if you push your MCAT higher, I would grind through undergrad courses (2+ semesters) in upper-level science and establish a nice upward trend and inch that GPA toward 3.0. Less risk and less cost than a $60k+ SMP. Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the first semester of the program and left in good standing. I will say it is difficult to achieve the 3.5...not quite like undergrad where you might be able to grind your way to a 3.8 or 4.0. It was a really good experience for me, especially anatomy, in terms of getting my study habits in order and figuring out how to teach myself. The thing to keep in mind is that there is a curve for each exam based on the average and standard deviation. One half std above the average is A- and a full std is an A. For my class, the averages were often in the 80s and sometimes high 80s. Don't underestimate your classmates--there were people with graduate degrees in biochem, 514+ MCAT, etc.

The linkage is legit, however, usually only about 1/3-1/2 of the Masters class matriculates directly. Others may get into other schools or miss the 3.5 and apply to Touro via AACOMAS and matriculate that way. I ended up getting accepted elsewhere in the Fall and decided not to finish. I grew to really dislike the flipped classroom system--lots of time required outside of class and effectively mandatory attendance. I don't think the program helped me gain admittance simply because my grades for the program weren't in when I interviewed and was offered acceptances. I don't get the sense that the program has the name recognition of other more established SMPs.

In your case, I would wonder why your past grad school performance was lackluster? What makes you think this will be better? If I were you, and especially if you push your MCAT higher, I would grind through undergrad courses (2+ semesters) in upper-level science and establish a nice upward trend and inch that GPA toward 3.0. Less risk and less cost than a $60k+ SMP. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the insight - Were you able to attain a 3.5 for your semester there? I would do post-bacc courses instead; unfortunately, I feel like a linkage is my only shot at medical school due to my grades. I am 24 turning 25 and don't want to take several more years trying to get in.