TPR diagnostics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladpm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How accurate are the diags from TPR to the actually real deal? I feel really defeated after I got my 3rd scores and haven't improved at all from the first diagnostic...7P 5V 10B...should just postpone it till next year? I feel like I wasted the past 4 months (and money on books and class) just to see no improvement at all...

Members don't see this ad.

WELCOME TO MY WORLD.. i've improved alright, i went from super crappy, to very crappy, to crappy.. i'm workin my ass off too, i'm starting to wonder if i'm studying correctly

Can I ask you two, are you doing all of the reading, all of the homework and re-reading things you aren't 100% clear on? I.e. if you couldn't explain in detail how transcription works or how the kidneys work, you go back and study until you can.

I'm taking TPR right now and I feel like if you only do the bare minimum in the class, it won't be sufficient unless you learned ALL of the material really well in school the first time. It seems like for most, there are parts you know well and parts you are practically learning for the first time (all of physio for me).

Also, painful as it is, I think following all of the verbal instructions at first is important.

Maybe its just me, or my teachers but I've been really happy with TPR so far -- at the same time I'm studying ~20 hours/week outside of class.

Also keep in mind the first two diags are supposed to be killers -- not indicative of a real score (so I hear on this forum).

Good luck

Lanced said:
Can I ask you two, are you doing all of the reading, all of the homework and re-reading things you aren't 100% clear on? I.e. if you couldn't explain in detail how transcription works or how the kidneys work, you go back and study until you can.

I'm taking TPR right now and I feel like if you only do the bare minimum in the class, it won't be sufficient unless you learned ALL of the material really well in school the first time. It seems like for most, there are parts you know well and parts you are practically learning for the first time (all of physio for me).

Also, painful as it is, I think following all of the verbal instructions at first is important.

Maybe its just me, or my teachers but I've been really happy with TPR so far -- at the same time I'm studying ~20 hours/week outside of class.

Also keep in mind the first two diags are supposed to be killers -- not indicative of a real score (so I hear on this forum).

Good luck

thanks for the advice.. i think i've realize that i've only been doing the homework and the prereadings (the bare minimum).. thing is, its hard going back and rereading things because i think the TPR texts suck ass.. i like having visuals and TPR stuff doesnt have as much diagrams as i'm used to.. and on top of that, its in black and white.. and our class is moving so rapidly, its like i dont have time to go back.. i usually take all day to read the prereadings before class, then i'll devote 2 days to doing the homework for the class (thats 4 days right there).. i've got an orgo 2 class so that takes up another 2 days out of my week for a total of 6 days used up.. on my 7th day (sunday), i usually do leftover work from orgo or my mcat class.. thus, i dont have much time to go back

HOWEVER, i'm gonna utilize the most of my spring break-- i've already highlighted everything we've done in TPR in my old textbooks and i'm gonna reread those sections so i'll get a better understanding as a whole.. i've also not been memorizing equations, so i've made flashcards.. i'm determined that this new method of learning will change things for me. i'm excited to try something new, i've been getting so frustrated as of late :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been studying 20+ hours a week and try to do all the strategies that TPR preaches, however not efficiently as I hoped for. I try to review my mistakes which gets corrected, but then something else comes up. I think I just need to focus on maintaining my critical reading (most of the time its a comprehension problem) during the practice exam. The obvious thing I've noticed is that if I go slow enough and not under a stressed induced environment I can understand better and see the answers a bit more clearer. I'll try revamping my strategies and review my weaknesses

ladpm said:
I think I just need to focus on maintaining my critical reading (most of the time its a comprehension problem) during the practice exam. The obvious thing I've noticed is that if I go slow enough and not under a stressed induced environment I can understand better and see the answers a bit more clearer. I'll try revamping my strategies and review my weaknesses

this is exactly what i'm going through.. i conceptualize everything just fine, and when we are in lecture, i know whats going on for the most part.. however, when it comes time to read a passage about something i've never seen before (MCAT questions are never EXACTLY the way you studied them in your text books, they are always "dressed up" into a different form), i start to freeze up because i guess i have a difficulty "linking" my previous conceptual knowledge to the new knowledge.. unfortantely, there is no prep course to teach you how to bridge old info with new

I am almost complete the science workbook and i found that my bio mark shot up. I finished the bio homework and g.chem homework. So my goal is to finish physics and o chem by this weekend and maybe squeeze in a test. I work four days a week so i should be able to do it...

My problem is that i cannot seem to apply myself very welll to new and strange physics questions...and also, my VR mark is inconsistent. EK always projects better marks than i get on the tests..i know its supposed to be more difficult but when i wrote in august, i got closer to my verbal TPR score, which was verrry disappointing....

I'll be honest and say that I haven't completely followed TPR's verbal strategies, but some of it is soooo time consuming. I average 7 passages and still have a hard time. I think I have a good understanding of the tactics, but I get mentally tired by the time I get to the VR section and start forgetting them leading to a LOT of reading errors