Transfer from state U to Ivy League after 2 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemistry>Physics

Puggy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it looked down upon by med schools if they see you transferred from state university to Cornell, Dartmouth, Columbia, Brown after your sophomore year? Would it look like a lack of commitment to ECs even if you had roughly the same ECs at both

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Not at all but to be honest, I wouldn't bother.

1. Credits rarely transfer well: the registrars at top institutions have a very obvious superiority complex. You may very well end up having to take a **** ton more classes to graduate.
2. Of the four schools you listed, 3 are very unreceptive to transfers (~10-50 per year), and the other one (Cornell) really doesn't get you the Ivy League "aura" that I'm assuming you want.
3. Pre-med courses at these schools are all very rigorous, and not something I'd recommend experiencing in one's lifetime (yes, even orgo at Brown sucks).
4. You will have to literally reintegrate into a new community, whereas everyone else is pretty set in their campus niches. Can make for a tough transition.
5. If you slip up at all (GPA, ECs, LORs, etc) that is a significant red flag.

yea dude it's gonna look horrible, you'll probably have to go Caribbean

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it looked down upon by med schools if they see you transferred from state university to Cornell, Dartmouth, Columbia, Brown after your sophomore year? Would it look like a lack of commitment to ECs even if you had roughly the same ECs at both

Are you transferring because you are unhappy where you are, or just in pursuit of the fancy name?

Little of both to be honest

If you have good reason to expect happiness elsewhere, that's a good reason to transfer. But as md2020 mentioned above not all of the famous names are friendly to transfers, and transfer students often do not get nearly the level of financial aid as freshman admits. Having a change of location for your ECs should be way, way down on the list of concerns when deciding to stay or not.