Transfering a Pharmacy degree from another country to the USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmq3b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I have a question about a pharmacy degree obtained from another country:

My fiance lives in India and she is studying will be completing her Bachelors in Pharmacy degree this upcoming May (May 2011). I was interested in knowing what the correct procedure is to transfer the degree into the USA. I understand that there may be extra coursework required, but I wanted to know what the necessary steps are and the approximate time this may take. Thanks to everyone that can help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am by no means an expert at the subject, but it is rather lengthy.

You have to take several equivalency exams and an internship before you can even take the regular board exams. Some states have more difficult requirements for foreign grads than others. Also with all the schools going Pharm D for over 7 years, there might be even more coursework involved.

Also with the current job market, you would want to stay away from major cities. But there are 50 states here, so I'm sure you can find a job somewhere since you wouldn't be tieddown to any specific place in the country.

Honestly it wouldn't be the worst thing to stay in India, since the economy is on such an upswing. Bangalore would be a great place because alot of US pharm companies have divisions there.

There is no US license to practice pharmacy.

You'll have to look at each state's Board of Pharmacy, and see what their respective requirements are.

You'll also have to worry about immigration.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone:

I have a question about a pharmacy degree obtained from another country:

My fiance lives in India and she is studying will be completing her Bachelors in Pharmacy degree this upcoming May (May 2011). I was interested in knowing what the correct procedure is to transfer the degree into the USA. I understand that there may be extra coursework required, but I wanted to know what the necessary steps are and the approximate time this may take. Thanks to everyone that can help.

Good luck

Last edited:
You are not gonna like the answer that I am telling you. US does not give credit to four year pharmacy degrees ....they either want 5 year degree in pharmacy program or a student must be graduated before 2003. Your fiance has to do Doctor of Pharmacy program here which is 3-4 years depend on the school. I have B.Pharmacy 4 year degree from India in 2006 and I have to go through a lotttttttt ...now I am Pharm D 1st year student..........plus admission in pharmacy schools here in US is not easy and they r expensive.......I dont want to doscourage u ...but thats the truth
Good luck

there are non traditional things you could do. perhaps if someone had a 4 year degree from a foreign country some US institution would give them a pharmD in exchange for doing the online non trad thing?

there are non traditional things you could do. perhaps if someone had a 4 year degree from a foreign country some US institution would give them a pharmD in exchange for doing the online non trad thing?

I'm not totally sure, but I think that all the current "nontraditional" PharmD programs are for licensed, working pharmacists.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who graduates from a foreign pharmacy college after Jan 2003 needs to have 5 years of pharmacy college before they can take the equivalency exams in the US. If your fiance does have 5 years worth of college, here's the list of exams she will need to clear:

1 - FPGEE (More details on www.nabp.net)
2 - TOEFL (Will need to attain a minimum score in each of the 4 sections. More details on www.nabp.net)

Once she clears #1 and #2, she will be eligible to receive a Pharmacy Intern license for the state you reside in. Once she completes the required hours for your state, she will need to take the following exams:

3 - NAPLEX (More details on www.nabp.net)
4 - MPJE (for most states, more details on www.nabp.net)

The whole process can take anywhere from 2-3 years, if she clears all the exams on her first try.

If she does not have 5 years of college, she can either enroll in a MS program in India, or get a PharmD in the US. If she gets the PharmD in the US, she would jump directly to #3 and #4.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who graduates from a foreign pharmacy college after Jan 2003 needs to have 5 years of pharmacy college before they can take the equivalency exams in the US. If your fiance does have 5 years worth of college, here's the list of exams she will need to clear:

1 - FPGEE (More details on www.nabp.net)
2 - TOEFL (Will need to attain a minimum score in each of the 4 sections. More details on www.nabp.net)

Once she clears #1 and #2, she will be eligible to receive a Pharmacy Intern license for the state you reside in. Once she completes the required hours for your state, she will need to take the following exams:

3 - NAPLEX (More details on www.nabp.net)
4 - MPJE (for most states, more details on www.nabp.net)

The whole process can take anywhere from 2-3 years, if she clears all the exams on her first try.

If she does not have 5 years of college, she can either enroll in a MS program in India, or get a PharmD in the US. If she gets the PharmD in the US, she would jump directly to #3 and #4.

And most importantly, licensing in the US is done by the STATE, not the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, so the requirements can vary from state to state.

FPGEE and TOEFL requirements can vary.

And most importantly, licensing in the US is done by the STATE, not the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, so the requirements can vary from state to state.

FPGEE and TOEFL requirements can vary.

Yes, the State is responsible for the licensing. However, the FPGEE and TOEFL requirements are same for most of the states (with the exception of Michigan maybe).

FPGEE and TOEFL requirements are made by the NABP.

FPGEE and TOEFL requirements are made by the NABP.

A few years back, Michigan's requirement for TSE was different from NABP's. Michigan would issue an intern license if you had a score of 45. NABP's requirement was 50 to issue a FPGEC. Not sure if that has changed today.

On FPGEC application bulletin it says that the master's degree need to have a patient care based curriculum. Do u know what kind of master's degree they will be accepting to make a foreign pharmacy graduate eligible for the FPGEE examination?

Hello,
I have a friend who is a recent PharmD graduate in India. She has a US green card and is planning to work as a pharmacist in US. I know that she needs to take FPGEE and TOEFL exams but what are the state requirements? I reside in Illinois and i cant find any information in the IDFPR website. Has anyone gone through this process? also how long will it take her to get licensed in Illinois?