Transferring from a 3 yr to a 4 yr program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AverageBro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it would be possible to transfer from a 3 yr program to a 4 yr pharmacy program and how I would go about it. I'm currently in the first year of a 3 yr program, so after this year I would be interested in transferring into the second year class of a 4 yr program. I'm not looking for any reasons why I shouldn't transfer, or giving out any details why I want to transfer, etc. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Contact the schools that you want to transfer to. They're the only ones that can answer your questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing can be generalized since we don't know what your current school's curriculum is and what your destination school's curriculum will be. It's unlikely that the two would be perfectly compatible anyway, and you will most likely have to start again at year #1, making it 5 years of school for you.

It seems very unlikely that you will be able to transfer into the second year of another institute. Only contacting schools directly will help you at all. No website or hearsay is going to help you find a school that will work with you on this.

If it helps - I go to a 4 year school.
My school doesn't take transfer students, everyone starts at P1 year - regardless of other degrees you hold or classes you have taken in the past. You can apply for a waiver to be excused from a non-pharmacy class (pharmacology by faculty at the school of med and biomed) but not from any of the pharmacy classes.
Also my school requires a minimum of 3 years pre-pharm undergrad, so you would probably need to start here as a p1 anyway. They took all the undergrad level classes out and expanded things like therapeutics.